FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What is Your favorite Rum?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
What is Your favorite Rum?
shroud

Posted: 2004-06-20 03:52 am   Permalink

Rums from Spain are so very underrated. I brought back a bottle of Ron Pujols which is a very exceptional brown rum.
My favorite dark rum is Ron Amazona which is from the Island of Mallorca, Spain. This rum is my absolute favorite of all rums with a very sweet mollasses flavor, perfect to sip on with ice. I have tried to find a place to buy it outside of Mallorca but have been unable to. My local liquor store recommended Goslings Black Seal as a subsitute, but it is not nearly as thick or dark as the Ron Amazona which has a smoother and bolder taste. Highly recommended if you ever visit Mallorca.

View Profile of shroud Send a personal message to shroud      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
shroud

Posted: 2004-07-13 8:37 pm   Permalink

From the advice of this thread I picked up a bottle of Pyrate XO for $30 and a bottle of Cruzan Single Barrell for $23.

View Profile of shroud Send a personal message to shroud      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-17 6:38 pm   Permalink

Hey Shroud, I got married out there in Mallorca but never tried the local rums. The whole wedding crowd got stuck into the local liquer Tunel, as well as the excellent Spanish brandies that cost next to nothing at all the local bars.

Certainly the Mallorcan distillaries did a great job of imitating English gin, so it's great to hear that they are producing good rum. I'll look out for some when I visit Spain in the Fall.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
shroud

Posted: 2004-07-18 04:02 am   Permalink

Hi Trader Woody,

Be sure to pick up a bottle of Ron Amazona. This stuff is great, I even like it better then Pyrat XO Reserve. Was able to find a place that sells it online from Barcelona, however since I live in the state of Georgia, I am unable to purchase alcohol by mail order.
In Mallorca I visited Palma Nova and was very surprised to see that the British had taken over that area. English was spoken on the street with very little Spanish. Lots of shops were run by British who had moved to Mallorca and lots of cheap alcohol.
Guess I will have to stick with the Pyrat XO Reserve as thats the best rum that I can buy locally. The Cruzan Single barrel is a good second choice, although the flavor of the Pyrat seemed more exotic to me.

Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-17 09:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-09 16:52, Tikiwahine wrote:
Aloha!
Thought I'd revive an old thread, lots of good info here.

Has anyone else ever seen/tried this rum?

I saw it while visiting Gaithersburg, MD and almost bought it because the label was so cool. I passed on it since my limit was 4 bottles, and it didn't look like the quality was there.

tikiwahine, the bottle i bought last saturday nite there was $7 and it would probably be fine for a mixer. i tried it straight and "smooth" wasn't the first thought that came to mind

[ This Message was edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2005-01-17 09:51 ]

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-17 12:26 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2005-01-17 09:50, Johnny Dollar wrote:
Quote:

tikiwahine, the bottle i bought last saturday nite there was $7 and it would probably be fine for a mixer. i tried it straight and "smooth" wasn't the first thought that came to mind

I have not received my bottle yet.
Guessing it wasn't good to begin with, I bought the bottle to hang up in the bar (eye-candy).

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-17 1:47 pm   Permalink

i'd have to say my top 3 rums in no paticular order would be:

pyrat xo
mt gay extra old
zaya reserve

all three are fabulous in their own way.

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-17 11:10 pm   Permalink

My fave rum is Australian - Bundaberg Rum. Great with coke (i know, not very tiki), and a great sense of humour in their adds and stuff.

Otherwise, I made up this for a re-labelled bottle of rum:

Heweys Brew is brewed from
specially selected sugarcane,
harvested under a full moon
by voluptuous island natives
scantily clad in coconut bikinis.

Upon drinking Heweys Brew,
the individual is transported
to a time devoid of politically
correct bullshit, where it is
still acceptable to sacrifice
a virgin for entertainment.

Heweys Brew is a beverage
the whole family can enjoy,
from old codgers to ankle biters.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-18 11:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-17 09:50, Johnny Dollar wrote:

Ahh, so my suspicions were correct! It is a very cool bottle though, definitely a keeper for the shelf. Maybe next time I'll pick one up. At $7, who cares what it tastes like!

edited to add the / in quote

[ This Message was edited by: Tikiwahine on 2005-01-18 11:20 ]

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SwingingTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-27 11:28 am   Permalink

Hey there, I goofed and started a new thread before seeing this one. My current fav is Pyrate Planter's Gold for sipping. I'm very much a rum sipper, and it's good. Some rums can taste kind of hairspray-ish, but Planter's Gold is very smooth and kind of sweet, while still having a nutty, woody bite to it. For dark rum, I'm a Gosling's Black Seal man. I tend to stay away from Bacardi. To me, it's just too bitter.

View Profile of SwingingTiki Send a personal message to SwingingTiki  Email SwingingTiki ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-08 12:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-10-20 11:47, weirduncletiki wrote:
My favorite sipping rum is Anniversario Ron Anejo from Venezuela. It has a rich caramely flavor, with a wonderful warm mouth feel and just the right amount of heat to rival a fine cognac. It's barrel aged and has nuances of oak. We, in Southern California, only get about 24 bottles shipped in from the distributor each year. Seems Vendome Liquors in Toluca Lake has cornered this year's shipment and sold it off to a waiting list. I was in there yesterday and much to my surprise, there were four bottles not spoken for on their shelf. One went home with me, but there are three more waiting to be enjoyed. Look for it in its distinctive leather pouch. Mmmm...

Quote:

On 2002-09-25 18:52, tikibars wrote:
Lately, I've been digging the Ron Anejo Anniversario Pampero rum. This stuff is hard to get, though.

I just bought a bottle of this liquid gold and I'm hooked!
The Tiki Gids are smiling upon me. My local liquor store carries it.
Should be for sipping only.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-07 09:22 am   Permalink

Bump.
Geez, I wish it wasn't so hard to get Lemon Hart in Florida.

[ This Message was edited by: I dream of tiki 2005-11-07 09:25 ]

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rotterdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-07 11:54 am   Permalink

Malteco Ron 15 years old
El Dorado 12 years old
El Dorado 15 years old

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Rotterdam 2005-11-07 11:59 ]

View Profile of Tiki Rotterdam Send a personal message to Tiki Rotterdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-el
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-11-07 1:15 pm   Permalink

Sailor Jerry's rum is my fav! It is great!

View Profile of tiki-el Send a personal message to tiki-el  Email tiki-el     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-07 5:18 pm   Permalink

Funny you should say that tiki-el, I just bought one yesterday first time for $11.99 on sale at Ralphs, I am not sure about the price or the taste but it looked good.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation