FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What is Your favorite Rum?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
What is Your favorite Rum?
DrMiguelito
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-11-07 6:15 pm   Permalink

For sipping:

Havana Club Anejo 7 Anos
Pyrat XO
Mount Gay Extra Old

For mixing:

Mount Gay Eclipse
Flor de Cana 4 Year
Matusalem Platino

View Profile of DrMiguelito Send a personal message to DrMiguelito  Email DrMiguelito     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-23 7:58 pm   Permalink

Just got my first bottle of Pyrat XO and it's my favorite sipping rum so far. For mixing I love El Dorado demerara and Myers.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rotterdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-23 11:36 pm   Permalink

I bought a bottle of Malteco Ron 20 y.o. from Guatemala the other day and i think its incredible!
The 15 year old is extraordinary too.
I'm not sure if the real hardcore rumdrinkers will like it though because its almost like a very smooth cognac, as soft as it can get.

View Profile of Tiki Rotterdam Send a personal message to Tiki Rotterdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-24 07:52 am   Permalink

For all purpose sipp'in and shots: Mount Gay. I'm pretty sure that I should'ave bought stock in the distillery years ago. An open bottle doesn't last long in the Vortex.

Specialty: Goslings Black Seal. You can't make a Dark'n Stormy without it. If you haven't had a Dark'n Stormy, you owe it to yourself to try one. Easy to make. A mug, ice, Black Seal and Ginger beer. Classic.

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-26 06:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-24 07:52, foamy wrote:

Specialty: Goslings Black Seal. You can't make a Dark'n Stormy without it. If you haven't had a Dark'n Stormy, you owe it to yourself to try one. Easy to make. A mug, ice, Black Seal and Ginger beer. Classic.

I absolutely love the smell of Goslings Black Seal.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-31 2:02 pm   Permalink

well, between our trip to jamaica and christmas, i got a ton of new rums in our bar...in jamaica we had everyone in our party bring back 3 bottles each, we got havana club(silver),appleton v/x,appleton reserve,appleton extra,coruba(dark),j.wray &nephew overproof white(green&yellow label),jbw genuine white overproof(red label),goldlabel trelawny jamacian rum,wray and nephew berry hill pimento liqueur,wray&nephew rum cream.......then for christmas, the wahine gave me a bottle of the appleton 21 year reserve!...and finally, for standing up in the wedding in jamaica, tom&melissa(see benzarts rings) got us a bottle of el dorado demerara 25 year old millinium edition bottle #430 out of only 2000 made!!!....i gotta say my 2 favorite rums to use in drinks is the havana club(which we have been substituting as suggested in the grog log, and the coruba which we have been substituting for myers dark.....im glad i can get the coruba easy, now i just need a regular supply of havana club!

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-10 3:02 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:43 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-13 07:27 am   Permalink

Haven't seen one of my favorites listed in here yet -
Ron Matusalem Platino is a silver rum that's nearly sippable, something that I find to be quite rare; it always seems like the darker ones are more useful for sipping.

It's from the Dominican Republic, and their website is here:
http://www.matusalem.com/home.html

They also have a darker Classico and a Gran Reserva (15-year), but I've not tried those yet. There's a lot of info on their site - here's the Platino's page:
http://www.matusalem.com/platino.html

Cheers,
Rupe

[ This Message was edited by: rupe33 2006-09-13 07:28 ]

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-09-15 07:48 am   Permalink

Being Diabetic, I must keep my consumption of rum to a minimum. Rather than tempting myself with an array of different rums, I've pared it down to simply two that I use singly or together as needed:

Appelton Estates VX
Saint James Hors D'Age

Since the Mai Tai is my Tiki drink of preference, this works well for me.

GH

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Mark

Posted: 2006-11-07 11:44 am   Permalink

I don't think anyone has yet mentioned One Barrel rum from Belize. It has a subtle, pleasing hint of brown sugar that works well in a lot of drinks. I would certainly use it more if it were a little easier to obtain. Good stuff.

View Profile of Mr. Mark Send a personal message to Mr. Mark      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danimal

Posted: 2006-12-08 07:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-07 11:44, Mr. Mark wrote:
I don't think anyone has yet mentioned One Barrel rum from Belize. It has a subtle, pleasing hint of brown sugar that works well in a lot of drinks. I would certainly use it more if it were a little easier to obtain. Good stuff.

Mr. Mark,
One Barrel is relatively easy to buy in California. Try HiTime Wines or Robert Burns Wines.

Dan

http://www.robertburnswines.com/rum_details.php?rum_id=1

[ This Message was edited by: danimal 2006-12-08 07:09 ]

View Profile of danimal Send a personal message to danimal  Email danimal     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-08 07:51 am   Permalink

I feel about rum as do about coffee--it's mostly all good (except that #&%@ Starbucks). Flavored, unflavored, imported, domestic, cheap, expensive--I'm usually happy with it. But my desert island rum: Myers's Dark. No question.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr.TikiMojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-10 12:57 am   Permalink

Pyrat Rum XO Reserve the fine cognac of Rums.

There are many others I like....even pricier, but dollar for dollar this one of the tops.

Although I NEVER use it for mixing and as any good Scotsman will tell ya I only drink it NEAT!

View Profile of Dr.TikiMojo Send a personal message to Dr.TikiMojo  Email Dr.TikiMojo Goto the website of Dr.TikiMojo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kikekeki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-11 1:27 pm   Permalink

El Dorado Special Reserve (15 year Demerara)...
smooth

View Profile of kikekeki Send a personal message to kikekeki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danimal

Posted: 2007-05-02 9:42 pm   Permalink

I scored a 50ml sample of Santa Teresa 1796 at Rumfest in Ybor City. It's a great rum in the Spanish style. Medium dark with strong legs. Lemon pepper nose. Spicy and dry, without the usual oaky-whiskey overtones that most Caribbean rums get from their casks. I assume that this rum, or ron, is aged in barrels made from local hardwood. It's really a nice, interesting rum and worth finding.

I've been asked to help judge rums at The Tales of the Cocktail by the Minister of Rum, Ed Hamilton. The competition is scheduled for mid-July. I'll post a report here with all the news that's fit to print.

Dan

View Profile of danimal Send a personal message to danimal  Email danimal     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation