FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » What is Your favorite Rum?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
What is Your favorite Rum?
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 1:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-10 15:02, Chip and Andy wrote:
Reading this and seeing several of you mention Sailor Jerry's with a smile, I have to ask if I got a bad bottle?

On a recent trip to the gulf Coast of Florida, I found a bottle of Sailor Jerry's in Fort Meyers (I think) and got it mostly for the label. When I got home and opened the bottle, my first impression was "What is this spiced with? Pure Sugar?" Upon tasting, I had a similar reaction. This stuff is called "Spiced" and is a nice 92 proof, but I can't figure out what it is spiced with..... I think I would rather drink pure molasses with grain alcohol added......

Is Sailor Jerry's an acquired taste? Is it really a good rum and I got a bad batch? Or is this something I just put on the shelf and look at the pretty girl on the label?

It actually reminded me of cherry brandy or cough syrup or something like that. I'm not sure what they did to it, either, but it is, ummmm, interesting.
Hmmmm, favorite. Hard to say. I haven't tried them all yet!
I guess if I was picking from stuff that I have tried, I would pick maybe Zaya or Ron Zacapa for sipping, and either Lemon Hart or Appleton for mixing. I picked up a 50mL bottle of black seal a while back and I thought that stuff was great. I have yet to try any of the Cruzan rums like black strap. Saw the Belize One Barrel at Hi Times the other day. I almost bought it but decided against since I've never heard anything. Now that there's a positive recommendation, I'll have to give it a try.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-04 2:18 pm   Permalink

A Smith Brothers cough drop comes to mind when I taste Sailor Jerry's rum!

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 1:43 pm   Permalink

Ron Zacapa "Centenario" 23 Anos Aged Rum !

(As already menioned here.)

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bincho
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-07 4:27 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the warnings about Sailor Jerry's --The bottle was in my hand just the other day.

View Profile of Bincho Send a personal message to Bincho      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-15 11:18 am   Permalink

The best rum I ever had was St. James vintage 1937, from Martinique. I was at a shop in St. Barth's, checking out the rums, and the clerk mentioned that he had something I would be interested in. He brought out a bottle that had the top broken off, but no glass went in the bottle. They couldn't sell it anymore, but would give it out as samples. Vintage from 1937, aged in the barrel! This was the smoothest, cleanest, most flavorful rum I have ever had. They had one older vintage, from 1885, but it was about $3000 for the bottle.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
siMcOe wAbO
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-15 6:47 pm   Permalink

i just tried some English harbour 5yr rum from antigua......wicked!!

full caramel flavour...delicious in mixed or with water and ice!!

next is a blantons bourbon.....

then a demerra rum......

then another tequila.....

and so on and so forth.....

ud

View Profile of siMcOe wAbO Send a personal message to siMcOe wAbO  Email siMcOe wAbO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-04 8:53 pm   Permalink

I finally cracked my bottle of Appleton Estate 21-year-old. Very nice indeed. I would have to place this as my third favorite so far - after the Ron Zacapa Centenario 23-year-old and the Flor de Caña 21 (which I enjoy slightly more because of its complexity). One day I’ll have to sit all three of these rums down and do a comparison. It’s a tough job, but someone’s got to do it.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikitatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-05 4:00 pm   Permalink

Does anyone know of a rum bar in Orange County, CA. area? I would like to try different types of rum without buying all the bottles.

Mahalo,

Tikitatt

View Profile of Tikitatt Send a personal message to Tikitatt  Email Tikitatt Goto the website of Tikitatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danimal

Posted: 2007-12-31 9:38 pm   Permalink

All,
HiTime Wines has Old Grog from Clarke's Court on their website for under $20. It's a heck of a rum at that price.

Dan

[ This Message was edited by: danimal 2008-02-14 18:04 ]

View Profile of danimal Send a personal message to danimal  Email danimal     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-01 05:01 am   Permalink

For me..Ron Zacapa 23 and El Dorado 15 for sipping..
Coruba dark,Lemon Heart,St James and Appleton for mixing..
White agricole (cannot choose between them!)and Montebello vieux for Ti Punch..
I need them all!

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
traderjoshua

Posted: 2009-04-30 7:04 pm   Permalink

Only have one rum? yikes. Pussers, I suppose. All around good mixer, or even neat. Not to pricey.

View Profile of traderjoshua Send a personal message to traderjoshua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
iTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-05-01 5:48 pm   Permalink

Pyrat XO. No, Zaya Grand Reserve. No, Havana Club Cuban Barrel Proof. I guess I better do another taste test and decide. I'll have to get back to you..........

View Profile of iTiki Send a personal message to iTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
savoy6
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-06-07 11:53 am   Permalink

Pyrat XO for sipping ,Pyrat Pistol for mixing,Sailor Jerry for falling out of my chair,playing cards and telling sea stories about Liberty Calls in PI,Thailand,Singapore,Seychelles,etc.

View Profile of savoy6 Send a personal message to savoy6      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dewey-surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-18 7:12 pm   Permalink

Recently I have been on the Voo Doo Rum train. I have been making some different things, and even tried a few of their recipies on their web site. Quite tasty.

Not too crazy about the overall flavor of Sailor Jerry. It's best with Coca-Cola. I find the bottle label to be the most redeeming quality of the rum, but the 92 proof isn't too shabby.

I have yet to drop down $50-$60 bucks for a really good bottle though.

View Profile of dewey-surf Send a personal message to dewey-surf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sirginn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-06-19 08:03 am   Permalink

for sipping, Diplomatico, Zaya, and Old Goslings

mixing depends on the drink...

View Profile of sirginn Send a personal message to sirginn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation