FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What is Your favorite Rum?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
What is Your favorite Rum?
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-09-26 11:38 am   Permalink

Martin offered a great list. I also have a bottle of the Rhum St. James when I want to make an original Mai Tai with Martinique rum.

As far as the Barbancourt, once I bought a bottle each of 3-star, 5-star, and the Estate Reserve and did a comparison. I found the 3-star was fine for mixing, and the 5-star was a great buy as I found it to be almost as good as the Estate, at almost half the price! So, I would go for the 5-star next time.

Another taste test I recently tried was Bacardi light, followed by Myers's Platinum (their light rum), and then Havana Club light. And the winner is ....... Havana Club! The Myers's was very close but the Bacardi tasted quite harsh by itself.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-27 05:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

woofmutt wrote:
Cockspur is an excellent golden rum with a mellow flavor that's good enough to drink straight.

Ah Cockspur, my introduction to the wonders of rum. Years ago a group of us
went to Barbados from our Geography dept at university, and it wasn't long before
we ventured out from the research institute where we were staying. A rum shack
was set up across the road, and we wandered over, rather unsure if this was wise
or not, and started talking to the locals. Their Bajan accent was incedibly thick, and
took some getting used to. One of my friends misheard the man his was talking to,
and thought he'd just been warned that it 'was a trap'. Paranoia took over as word got
round that we might be in some danger, and my immediate reaction was to get a drink.
I bought a small bottle of Cockspur, and had difficulty in opening it. I looked up to see
one of the guys from behind the counter coming out with a machete in his hand.
My immediate thought was that those were my final moments, until he grabbed the bottle
from my hand and proceeded to expertly open it with the machete!

The Cockspur went down incredibly well after all that, and it wasn't long before
were getting along with the locals like old pals. Great stuff, that Cockspur.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGuy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-09-27 09:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

I actually thought the Appleton 21 year was a little harsh and a pinch overrated when I tried it in the islands. The Havana Club 7 is pretty good as well.
-martin

At a bar, never trust that what's on the label is what's in the bottle. I remember a mixology teacher telling us the best way to up profits was to refill a bottle of Bailey's with O'Darby's and the same with any other liquor. He said this is common practice in Ontario and everywhere else he's been behind the bar.

View Profile of TikiGuy Send a personal message to TikiGuy  Email TikiGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoBeTiki

Posted: 2002-09-27 2:04 pm   Permalink

Pyrat XO is definitely my favorite sipping Rum. Anguilla (where the Rum is made) is also my favorite Caribbean island. Get your hands on the Jamaican beverage called Ting (grapefuit soda) and mix with Pyrat "Pistol" over ice. Yum!!!

View Profile of SoBeTiki Send a personal message to SoBeTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-01 10:49 am   Permalink

I like the kind with alcohol in it.

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2002-10-01 11:55 am   Permalink

And if it's free!!!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2002-10-01 2:45 pm   Permalink

TikiGuy-

Good advice, but I was sipping it in an upscale shop that wanted me to buy it, so I'm sure I tried the real thing. Also- try this newish rum that's out these days called Sea Wynde. Very nice.

And: Just got a bottle of the new product from RedRum, VooDoo Rum, it's spiced and has a tiki on the label. It looks great in your bar, and is solid in Coke, but isn't quite as tasty as the Sailor Jerry spiced rum.

-martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-01 7:37 pm   Permalink

I haven't gotten into rum as a sipping alcohol yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I've heard good things about Pyrat Pistol, but I haven't tried it myself. I got a bottle of Cruzan Clipper 120 as a birthday gift last week. Hooowhee! I just tried some; I suppose it's smooth for being 60% alcohol.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-08 06:38 am   Permalink

Here's a bar devoted to rum in the heart of South London. 300 different rums to try....I guess you could get through them all in a year if you visited once a week.

I'd be flabbergasted if there weren't similar bars in the US. Anyone know of any?

http://www.brixtonian.co.uk/pages/about.htm

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-08 09:40 am   Permalink

Isn't there a place called Rum Jungle at Mandalay Bay in Vegas? A friend of mine said they had a huge rum selection. Other than that, I know nothing about it.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2002-10-08 10:14 am   Permalink

Yes, the Rum Jungle at Mandalay Bay has a huge rum selection. They are a bit expensive, but I've never seen a better selection in the US. The mixed drinks are cruddy- too sticky sweet and weak. The food looks very very good, but I didn't have time. The interior is ultra-sleek and contemporary- it's cool, but it sure ain't tiki. At night it becomes a lousy nightclub with bouncers and velvet ropes and all that crap that vegas seems to love. ("Ladies night! If you have big tits, and your skirt wouldn't even normally qualify as a belt, then you get in free!!!") etc....

-martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BONBONVIC
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-08 10:47 am   Permalink

Rum Jungle in Vegas did give me my first taste of Stroh 80. 160 proof Austrian Rum. It will certainly clean your teeth. The go go dancers at night are cool. Suspended by wires dancing on top of a 20 ft high glass bar shelf. The bar is tiered. At each tiered section there are 50 ft high glass panels with water running through them. At night the dudes pay $20.00 cover the lady's are free.

View Profile of BONBONVIC Send a personal message to BONBONVIC      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2002-10-08 3:01 pm   Permalink

In San Francisco there's a bar in the Haight called Hobson's Choice. They might not have 300 but they have plenty of fine rums and they make a house punch every day.

http://www.hobsonschoice.com/

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJones
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-10-10 02:48 am   Permalink

First free rum is the best!

Then cheap rum!

Finally drinkable rum!

Really I just got the Cruzan Banana and it is great, either as a shot or mixed into whatever you like.

View Profile of TikiJones Send a personal message to TikiJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spartacus65000

Posted: 2002-10-12 8:18 pm   Permalink

The Rhum Barbancourt is probably one of the best one ones I've had. It really is a fantastic all around Rum.

View Profile of spartacus65000 Send a personal message to spartacus65000  Email spartacus65000     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation