FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » What is Your favorite Rum?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
What is Your favorite Rum?
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 8:23 pm   Permalink

You just gotta take my word and go get this rum:

Flor De Cana, Extra Dry 4 year old. Mixes beautifully and can be sipped straight. Great with just a dash of lime.

Flor De Cana 7 year old amber is the best Mojito mixer I've ever come across.

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-20 11:47 am   Permalink

My favorite sipping rum is Anniversario Ron Anejo from Venezuela. It has a rich caramely flavor, with a wonderful warm mouth feel and just the right amount of heat to rival a fine cognac. It's barrel aged and has nuances of oak. We, in Southern California, only get about 24 bottles shipped in from the distributor each year. Seems Vendome Liquors in Toluca Lake has cornered this year's shipment and sold it off to a waiting list. I was in there yesterday and much to my surprise, there were four bottles not spoken for on their shelf. One went home with me, but there are three more waiting to be enjoyed. Look for it in its distinctive leather pouch. Mmmm...

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-22 09:52 am   Permalink

Here's a nice little tipple for those who like to drink their rum pirate-style. It comes from a very old pub called The Bell
and they call it 'Winter Auberges', as it's meant for the colder months of the year. The recipe is very simple....just add two
measures of ginger wine to one measure of dark rum. They specified Crabbes ginger wine and Capt Morgan's dark rum, but I imagine it would be vastly improved with a decent demerara. You may want to experiment
with the measures, too.

Not really one for the Tiki bar, but as the nights get cold it'll warm you up and have you singing sea shanties in no time.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SetsofWaves

Posted: 2002-10-23 02:00 am   Permalink

Someone has to speak up for Mount Gay. they have a "gold" verion too, don't they? Regardless-- it will always have a special place in my heart. And drinks.

eric

View Profile of SetsofWaves Send a personal message to SetsofWaves  Email SetsofWaves     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-05 5:46 pm   Permalink

Just had the opportunity to try the full Wray & Nephew range. Obviously a pleasure rather than a trial. While the rums are well known and highly rated, it was intersting to give their 'Rum Cream' a go. I guess they were pitching it at the 'Baileys' market, (You have Bailey's in the US?) as it's a sweet, thick, n'bcreamy rum combo.

Sadly, it's not as nice as it sounds. They use their overproof rum rather than their classy stuff, and the overproof over-rides the other tastes. Saying that, it's very sweet too, and there's a strong faux-butterscotch taste which soon kicks in. You soon find your taste buds fighting over sugar, artificial flavours, and the lingering taste of the overproof. A shame really as this could have worked with a smoother rum and more subtle ingredients.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-06 12:39 am   Permalink

the very best rum is FREE RUM!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-10 12:26 am   Permalink

You guys are gonna crucify me, but I have always loved good old dark Myer's (has sort of a single malt character). Bharbancourt would run a close second. And I have even tried a lot of rums (I have worked at two bars) but keep coming back to it. Redrum is pretty damned tasty, too. But Myer's for me.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-10 12:49 am   Permalink

Nothin' wrong with Myer's, man! Everyone has different tastebuds, so drink up and enjoy!

Cheers,

Uncle Arty

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-10 12:57 am   Permalink

My current rum of choice is Mount Gay Barbados Sugar Cane Rum (also apparently labelled "Sugar Cane Brandy" in some areas...) Far and away the best rum I've ever had: simply excellent by itself or as the key ingredient to the best Mai Tai this side of Trader Vic's!
Myers's is an excellent dark rum (though Whaler's is a close second).
Can't argue with Appleton Estate, either, and have yet to taste a better demerara than Lemon Hart.

I've got quite a few rums on my Christmas list (hoping friends/family/Santa patronize Hi-Time this year!), including Mount Gay Extra Old, Barbancourt 15 year, Pyrat Pistol, Cruzan Estate Single Barrel, Monte Christo and Metusalem Gran Reserve. Anybody have any comments on any of these?
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-10 01:06 am   Permalink

I have a fifth of Whaler's on the bar shelf. It's a good mixer.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scamboogah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-12-10 05:30 am   Permalink

I ashamedly have to agree with Myers'.

Whatever works, right?

View Profile of Scamboogah Send a personal message to Scamboogah  Email Scamboogah Goto the website of Scamboogah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-11 12:22 pm   Permalink

My fave would have to be Sailor Jerry rum because of the hula dancer on the label. For taste I like coconut rum and Captain Morgan spiced rum.

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader_Rick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-13 03:11 am   Permalink

Right now, I am drinking generic rum b/c I am dirt poor. And you know what? I can't tell the difference! If you're making cocktails, what difference does it make? It's not like you're going to taste it, really.

Begin flaming me... NOW!

View Profile of Trader_Rick Send a personal message to Trader_Rick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-13 04:31 am   Permalink

To some extent, you're right, Trader Rick. There are some cocktails where the other ingredients are so overpowering that the subtleties of a decent rum are lost. Plus, when you are down to your last few bucks, a generic rum is usually better than no rum at all. Perhaps Tiki Centralites could pitch in a few 'cheap rum' reviews!

Trader Woody

deep_fried_hushpuppie

Posted: 2002-12-13 10:07 am   Permalink

we've been sippin' on redrum's new voodoo spiced, wont even know its in there til you stand up bacardi is also a close friend ;P

View Profile of deep_fried_hushpuppie Send a personal message to deep_fried_hushpuppie  Email deep_fried_hushpuppie Goto the website of deep_fried_hushpuppie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation