FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What is Your favorite Rum?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
What is Your favorite Rum?
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-13 7:29 pm   Permalink

Goslings also makes a good, charactered dark.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader_Rick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-14 2:00 pm   Permalink

A warning regarding my earlier comment about generic rum. Don't overdo it, as it packs a stronger hangover than name brand rum. Boy, do you find THAT out the hard way!

Of course, if you drink responsibly, you'll be fine.

View Profile of Trader_Rick Send a personal message to Trader_Rick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 8:33 pm   Permalink

I found this older thread and wanted to add a few to the list.

Brugal Anejo is usually rated among the top ten by the people who do such things.

For the price - it's my personal favorite and makes a terrific scorpion, mai tai... heck, all of it.

I have an affinity for Pusser's - the stronger one - since I got these nifty little tin cups from the factory store in Tortola.

The Coyopa isn't bad - but you're paying for that cool bottle that plays a video thingy on the label with some island music. I mean, you gotta have that in the bar even if you fill it with hooch.

It's smooth, though - the Coyopa - and places high in the tastings we have here at The Lagoon.

Thanks for the tips on Havana Club, I have a buddy who gets Cuban merchandise here in Tampa and has children that I can take hostage 'til he delivers.

Arrrrr.
(licensed Tiki-subculture lingo)

Anyone tried the Cohiba Rum?

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 10:17 pm   Permalink

I just picked up a bottle of Appleton Estate VX tonight for $12.76 at Savon Drugs, the were having a closout sale.

Cheers,

KT

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-07 11:56 pm   Permalink

Appleton XV for $13? Not bad. It usually sells for $18 to $20 here at regular retail, so you got a good price!

Pablus: I've seen both the light and dark
Cohiba Rums at one of my nearby Hoity Toity Cigar shops (in Fashion Island!, now how HT is that!?). Anyway, the shop owner raved about it, of course, but I haven't run into anyone that's actually tried it. I believe it was about a $35 or $40 bottle (girl not included..at least not at that price.)

SugarCaddyDaddy's SoCal Hoity Toity Schedule!

[ This Message was edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2003-08-07 23:57 ]

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-08-08 07:57 am   Permalink

Whoa!!!! I bought a bottle of Cohiba gold rum in San Jose last year for $11! Don't be fooled by the name. It's a decent gold rum, better than Bacardi, but nothing too special. I'll pour you some the next time your up and you can see for yourself. Don't spend that much! Take that cash and buy some single barrel Cruzan instead! Or anything else!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 11:30 am   Permalink

Not really a big deal, but I got back from France last week, and I picked up an amber Rhum St James, haven't tried it yet. I also saw Havana Club, that I considered picking up, so I can officially call my self a smuggler. I did see other Martinique rums that I've never seen before. I would of gotten it if my suitcase wasn't full of Alsatian wine.

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-08 12:06 pm   Permalink

I came across this rum by accident when I was touring the French Polynesian islands.
On the island of Marie Galante, the intire economy is based on sugar cane.

It's called Bielle Rhum Vieux
A French rum only available in a few cases of this eight-year-old rum are bottled so it is not always available.It's a full flavored rum that has been distilled and aged at a small distillery where quality is still the most important product.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-08-08 2:35 pm   Permalink

Appleton VX is great for mixing but try the Extra for sipping. It's oustanding. Martiki mentioned the Cruzan Single Barrel - another great award-winning rum for sipping.

Some that are high on my list to try are Ron Zacapa Centenario and R.L. Seales Old Brigand black label. Anyone tried these?

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomiczombie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-08-10 4:07 pm   Permalink

Bacardi Coco and Tiki Punch with a lime is nice

View Profile of atomiczombie Send a personal message to atomiczombie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
scigirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-10 6:49 pm   Permalink

Since I can't have alcohol, I couldn't live without Nature's Flavors Rum Syrup! I even pestered the company's owner enough to have them begin removing the brown color from the rum and make it a simple clear syrup. No more ugly, muddy (but incredibly delicious) Tiki mocktails!

View Profile of scigirl Send a personal message to scigirl  Goto the website of scigirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-11 12:26 am   Permalink

New favorite: El Dorado Demerara (4 or 12 year)

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-11 01:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-08-08 14:35, thejab wrote:
Appleton VX is great for mixing but try the Extra for sipping. It's oustanding. Martiki mentioned the Cruzan Single Barrel - another great award-winning rum for sipping.

I just bought it (Cruzan Single Barrel) and tried it. Another great TC suggestion and another great addition to Unga's rum library.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-11 01:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

Unga Bunga wrote:
Another great TC suggestion and another great addition to Unga's rum library.

Yeah, I agree with TheJab's recommendations. He's like my own Roger Ebert of liquor...except TheJab is taller, weighs less and has better (and more) hair than Roger.

BK: How does the El Dorado Demerara compare to Lemon Hart Demerara? Stronger? Milder? Price difference?

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-11 10:00 am   Permalink

A lot more vivid, at least the 12 year stuff. It's so good that when you open a bottle you can smell the spicy, fruity aroma across a room. I wouldn't press the issue on the 4-year.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation