FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What is Your favorite Rum?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
What is Your favorite Rum?
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-21 02:08 am   Permalink

I've just been bought a bottle of El Dorado Special Reserve 15 Year Old Rum, and it is by far the best rum I've tried. Fantastic complex mixture of flavours and smells. Recommended.
Tried it with Havana Club Anejo 7yr old last night in a Mai Tai. Best damm Mai Tai I've had!

(For those in the UK, the El Dorado is available in Waitrose)

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-21 02:20 am   Permalink

I had a taste of that myself in Waitrose, who were having a tasting session. It's very nice indeed - a real sipping rum.

Here's our future King getting stuck into a large glass of the stuff:

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-21 02:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-21 02:20, Trader Woody wrote:
I had a taste of that myself in Waitrose, who were having a tasting session. It's very nice indeed - a real sipping rum.

Trader Woody

I've been sipping it AND putting it in every drink I could find. Life's too short to use lesser quality spirits. Every Mai Tai could be my last!

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-21 9:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-09-27 05:34, Trader Woody wrote:
Quote:

woofmutt wrote:
Cockspur is an excellent golden rum with a mellow flavor that's good enough to drink straight.

Ah Cockspur, my introduction to the wonders of rum. Years ago a group of us
went to Barbados from our Geography dept at university, and it wasn't long before
we ventured out from the research institute where we were staying. A rum shack
was set up across the road, and we wandered over, rather unsure if this was wise
or not, and started talking to the locals. Their Bajan accent was incedibly thick, and
took some getting used to. One of my friends misheard the man his was talking to,
and thought he'd just been warned that it 'was a trap'. Paranoia took over as word got
round that we might be in some danger, and my immediate reaction was to get a drink.
I bought a small bottle of Cockspur, and had difficulty in opening it. I looked up to see
one of the guys from behind the counter coming out with a machete in his hand.
My immediate thought was that those were my final moments, until he grabbed the bottle
from my hand and proceeded to expertly open it with the machete!

The Cockspur went down incredibly well after all that, and it wasn't long before
were getting along with the locals like old pals. Great stuff, that Cockspur.

Trader Woody

Cockspur and Mount Gay. Cool little 12 oz. bottles sold in 6 packs at the grocery store in Barbados. Not good if you're hammered from drinking Rum Punch all day on the Jolly Roger out of Bridgetown and when you get back from cruzing the cool waters and walking the plank, snorkeling, drinking more rum punch, eating flying fish, and get back into the taxi and think it's a beer bottle and chug it!! Good if you want to pass it around with friends like the local beach rastas (Dr. D you out there?? I have no more atennas to wisdom!) who know what is up. Barbados is a cool place. Go!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crataegus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-21 11:15 pm   Permalink

I'm susceptible to advertising, so my favorite is Pyrat XO. (The *ahem* package stores here and in neighboring states, realizing that most folks aren't used to hooch that doesn't come in mason jars sealed with waxed burlap and rubber bands, posts reviews of boozes on the shelves.)

View Profile of crataegus Send a personal message to crataegus  Goto the website of crataegus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scamboogah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-23 2:15 pm   Permalink

In Barcelona recently, I tried Medellin from Columbia. Recently busted for disolving pounds and pounds of cocaine into for smuggling, luckily the shot I had did not contain a lethal dose. It was darn tasty though

View Profile of Scamboogah Send a personal message to Scamboogah  Email Scamboogah Goto the website of Scamboogah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-24 01:02 am   Permalink

I work with a guy from the Bahamas and he told me about a local rum called Nassau Royal. His initials are LS. LS has a heavy Bahamaian accent,especially when he gets excited like when he talks about the local rum. When we finally visited the islands of the Bahamas everyone spoke just like LS, so I felt like I had been there before. Anyway I bought two bottles of Nassau Royal, one Pinepple flavored and one Rum Liqueur. On the flight back to Orlando I began to sense the wonderful aroma of Pineapple Rum in the cabin of the plane. Later I realized that it was my bottle of rum that had broken, probably from the careless handling of my luggage by some Neanderthal baggage attendant in Fort Lauderdale. That's why Nassau Royal is my favorite; thanks for the memories!
Tikiboy

View Profile of tikiboy Send a personal message to tikiboy  Email tikiboy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Blue Moose
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-27 10:26 am   Permalink

Rhum Barboncourt is the best gold rum I've ever tried.

View Profile of Blue Moose Send a personal message to Blue Moose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-04-27 11:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-27 10:26, Blue Moose wrote:
Rhum Barboncourt is the best gold rum I've ever tried.

Which one did you like best? There are at least 3 different ones (3-star, 5-star, and Special Reserve).

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
trader dan

Posted: 2004-04-28 08:08 am   Permalink

st-james martinique gold rum and myers planters dark rum are the best. Mix these together with any recipe calling for dark and gold and it will have u walking the plank.by the way i am looking for the original navy grog mix recipe would u know anything about it?

View Profile of trader dan Send a personal message to trader dan  Email trader dan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-28 11:41 am   Permalink

Naussau Royale is definitely the shiznit. It has a sweet, vanilla like flavor. I have only had it on the rocks, I don't know about mixed drinks with it though. I recently went to Jamaica in feb for my honeymoon and brought back several bottles of Appleton Estates for only 8$ a pop! That's also very good. Mt Gay is also extemely good for mixing or sipping.
"Want a beer?'"...."It's 7:00 in the morning!"...."Scotch?"...."Not during working hours."

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 10:11 am   Permalink

i googled rum and got this online place

http://www.rumshop.net/

haven't tried it, just passing it on for general knowledge.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 1:29 pm   Permalink

I don't know if it was mentioned before here, but I am currently enjoying WOOD'S OLD NAVY RUM, distilled from finest Demerara cane harvested from the banks of the Demerara River, distilled at the Diamond Distillery, Guyana.
Heart of darkness, t'is a man's drink, Matey! If this is just export strength, I fear what the local strength must be like!

Never seen it in the US, I always get it when stopping over at Heathrow airport (London), at the duty free.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 1:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-28 08:08, trader dan wrote:
st-james martinique gold rum and myers planters dark rum are the best.

The best st James brand is the "imperial white", simply the best for cocktails

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-04-29 2:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-29 13:47, virani wrote:
The best st James brand is the "imperial white", simply the best for cocktails

I have only seen regular gold and Hors d' Age in the United States, but I find it fascinating to learn what rums are available in various countries. If nothing, it gives us an idea of the variety being produced. Keep the suggestions coming.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation