FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Tiki Drinks and Food Ľ Ľ What is Your favorite Rum?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
What is Your favorite Rum?
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-04-29 3:10 pm   Permalink

Cruzan has recently started selling a dark rum in the states called Cruzan Black Strap Rum. It's a heavy molasses rum in the vein of a Whalers or Myers's, but it's excellent for certain drinks, and reasonable priced as well. Look for it.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 3:22 pm   Permalink

I just bought a bottle of Coyopa Rum
as mentioned by Pablus in this post,for the reason being (a ďhot tip" from my distributor friend)that this will be a very hot collectors item when they stop making them. It's not official yet, but they are not selling well because of the price (average $50) so they are going to a normal bottle.
The trick is not to open it or wear out the battery. The rum gets above average ratings (I have not tried it). They even commissioned a writer for original music.
Here is a description of the label:

Features a patented "Active Label" that is animated by a backlight, which is activated each time the bottle is lifted, illuminating picture of dancers in sequence and making it appear as if the dancers are moving to itís original music. Packaged in 750-ml glass bottles, the first 100,000 bottles are hand-numbered and signed by the company chairman.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the wayward one

Posted: 2004-04-29 5:09 pm   Permalink

I used to play blackjack for shots of bacardi 151 back when I had a roommate, but am now favoring Rhum Barbancourt for most mixed drinks (of a single rum) or straight. I like Captain Morgan's for Bungos, or other grogs. Mount Gay is not bad. Havana Club is only slightly better than Bacardi ( a little smoother, and a little sweeter).
I recently tried and was very impressed by Rhum saint james, it's my 2nd fav (after Barbancourt). I am looking forward to trying lemon hart and stroh.

[ This Message was edited by: the wayward one on 2004-07-09 22:07 ]

View Profile of the wayward one Send a personal message to the wayward one      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
net-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-29 5:50 pm   Permalink

As of right now with the stock I have, I say Cruzan single barrel rum and cockspur. Well and of course Lemon Hart Demerara rum I have both 86 and 151, I tried the 86 proof straight and it is really good.

View Profile of net-tiki Send a personal message to net-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crataegus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-30 12:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-29 15:22, Unga Bunga wrote:
It's not official yet, but they are not selling well because of the price (average $50) so they are going to a normal bottle.
The trick is not to open it or wear out the battery. The rum gets above average ratings (I have not tried it). They even commissioned a writer for original music.

Features a patented "Active Label" that is animated by a backlight, which is activated each time the bottle is lifted, illuminating picture of dancers in sequence and making it appear as if the dancers are moving to itís original music. Packaged in 750-ml glass bottles, the first 100,000 bottles are hand-numbered and signed by the company chairman.

It's so much fun, though. I don't know if I could stop playing with the bottle. When they debuted Coyopa here in SC in that bottle, I accidentally moved it aside and discovered the music. I kept picking it up and putting it back giggling like a school girl the whole time. One of the stockers was just laughing hysterically with me. I think they were too amused to ask me to purchase it or leave.

View Profile of crataegus Send a personal message to crataegus  Goto the website of crataegus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-03 07:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-30 00:57, crataegus wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-04-29 15:22, Unga Bunga wrote:
It's not official yet, but they are not selling well because of the price (average $50) so they are going to a normal bottle.

It's so much fun, though. I don't know if I could stop playing with the bottle. When they debuted Coyopa here in SC in that bottle, I accidentally moved it aside and discovered the music. I kept picking it up and putting it back giggling like a school girl the whole time. One of the stockers was just laughing hysterically with me. I think they were too amused to ask me to purchase it or leave.

i found a bottle of it this weekend, but did not purchase it. it was pretty cool. it didn't have a price but the fella said it was 40-something dollars. i'm pretty sure the technology to light up the label is the same as came out about 5 years ago for aftermarket auto customizing - these phosphorescent strips that are flexible and light up with a 9 volt battery. you coculd conceivably make your car look like it came out of TRON.

but TRON wouldn't be drinking such fine rum, of course...

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-03 09:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-29 15:10, martiki wrote:
Cruzan has recently started selling a dark rum in the states called Cruzan Black Strap Rum. It's a heavy molasses rum in the vein of a Whalers or Myers's, but it's excellent for certain drinks, and reasonable priced as well. Look for it.

I tried this out this weekend. Very strong flavor. Very much like maple syrup, which I happen to like. Will overpower a delicate drink, so use carefully.

JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-04 3:23 pm   Permalink

regarding Cruzan "Dark Rum".
A couple of months ago I bought a 1.75 L bottle of Cruzan Dark Rum (aged at least 2 years is waht it says on the bottle). I suspect it's not the "new" Cruzan dark.
Anyone have an opinion about it? I intend to bring it to the Oasis as one of my supplies, but should it be used as "Dark" or just treated like light virgin Islands rum?
What do the experts say?

Mahalo,
Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-08 12:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-09-25 11:15, Mano Tiki Tia wrote:
I know that there are different rums for different drinks, but on the whole what would be the one rum you just could not live without. Either a favorite or most used rum.

My most used rum and one of my favorites is the El Dorado Demerara dark rum. For some reason it's also relative inexpensive by swedish standards.

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-08 1:21 pm   Permalink

The 15 year El Dorado Demerara is my hands down favorite. For every day mixing I like the Lemon Hart but when I want a really spectacular cocktail only the El Dorado will do.

Also, its even tasty straight.

[ This Message was edited by: TheMuggler on 2004-05-08 13:22 ]

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-08 1:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2004-05-03 07:50, Johnny Dollar wrote i found a bottle of it this weekend, but did not purchase it. it was pretty cool. it didn't have a price but the fella said it was 40-something dollars. i'm pretty sure the technology to light up the label is the same as came out about 5 years ago for aftermarket auto customizing - these phosphorescent strips that are flexible and light up with a 9 volt battery. you coculd conceivably make your car look like it came out of TRON.

but TRON wouldn't be drinking such fine rum, of course...

Tron? Did someone say Tron? Ok this isn't tiki, but it ties in percectly ( in an evil way ) with the above mention of Tron, and its friggin hilarious!

My retinas are permanently singed.

http://www.ibiblio.org/jmaynard/TRONcostume/
It may take a little while to load.

Have a drink and don't say I didn't warn you...
TG

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-08 8:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-29 15:10, martiki wrote:

Wow. Out of curiosity, I just bought a bottle of this tonight. I really like this rum. I'm sipping it on the rocks no mixer and it's very good. Kind of like a sweet stout with a little kahlua thrown in. And it has such a nice aroma. I think I might pick up some of that Dooley's toffee liqueur I've been eyeballing and try mixing the two. I think I actually prefer this over Meyer's (heresy!) and it cost about 40% less.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-10 11:45 pm   Permalink

I'm still learning a lot about rum, but I have been a BIG fan of Gosslings Black Seal for several years. It makes a great floater on drinks, as well as a unique pina colada. Unfortunately it is a little difficult for me to come by in Santa Barbara CA. My routs have usually been ordering online, but in my recent quest for unusual liquors (trying to match Grog Log and Intoxica) I have frequented most of the liquor stores in town. I just scored a bottle of Black Seal today for $13.99, which is about $10 less than I have usually paid for it.
Yesterday I also scored a 1L bottle of Lemon Hart 151 for....... $19.00.
I believe these both to be a case of "been sitting on the shelf too long, and forgot how much they were supposed to be."
EIther way, I am a happy.... and tipsy man!

-T.J.

P.S. Anyone know of a way to get a hold of some Havana Club (or other rum from that island we don't talk to)?

[ This Message was edited by: Tonnikan Jinn on 2004-05-10 23:49 ]

View Profile of Tonnikan Jinn Send a personal message to Tonnikan Jinn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midian

Posted: 2004-05-11 07:25 am   Permalink

could someone, please, name other heavy molasses rums?!?

View Profile of midian Send a personal message to midian  Goto the website of midian     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-05-11 11:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-11 07:25, midian wrote:
could someone, please, name other heavy molasses rums?!?

Other rums besides which ones?

The darkest rums like Myers's and Coruba and Whalers are dark because of caramel coloring, not molasses or aging.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation