FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Kauai Tiki report
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Kauai Tiki report
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-27 12:17 pm   Permalink

Here are the pictures that I promissed you.

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b30b26bac4ad

The fist couple are of the carver that I met, T. Huni and his tikis. The next one is of a luao at our hotel. The last is a tiki that was carved from a still planted palm out on the beach.
Enjoy.

[ This Message was edited by: Luckydesigns on 2002-09-27 12:32 ]

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-11-26 12:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-09-25 16:26, Tiki-bot wrote:
I know, I know, I went on and on about Hamura Saimen too, but we never made it there. I'm on this controlled carb diet and pastas and breads are out. I could've cheated,

Oh we abandoned the Atkins Bandwagon during our 2 weeks in hawaii (cripes, we eached gained 10 pounds in 14 days!...)

but oh how worth it ~ Hamura, and many other local grinds... and every bakery on Oahu and Kauai!

Tahiti Nui: we stayed for a drink, for the TIPSY factor ~ we took a few pictures. a tad afraid to take a picture that might include a face of the bikers who were there for happy hour...

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-26 10:01 am   Permalink

On the Tiki Road Trip web pages there is a terrific review of the Tahiti Nui.

The Mai Tai that Aunty made me was possiby the worst thing I've ever... wait, I used to drink Boone's Farm so forget that one.

But her company was delightful and the place was empty and she happened to have her uke there and we sang "HeneHene Kou Aka" together. If I had known "Happy Talk" back then I would have made her sing it because she was the living embodiment of that character.

But she still needs to get a grip with dat shit she pourin'. nazzzzti.

Man, I miss Kauai.

BTW - my favorite Mai Tai there was at the Plantation Garden. They also had a nice after dinner drink called the Prince Kuhio which had Macadamia Nut Liquor, ummmm... rum and Kahlua, I think.

Shoulda wrote that one down, I guess.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-11-26 11:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-11-26 10:01, pablus wrote:

But her company was delightful and the place was empty and she happened to have her uke there and we sang "HeneHene Kou Aka" together. If I had known "Happy Talk" back then I would have made her sing it because she was the living embodiment of that character.

But she still needs to get a grip with dat shit she pourin'. nazzzzti.

Sad to say, but Auntie has gone to the Big Luau in the Sky ~ the new owners are nice enough ~ didnt get a chance to talk, as they were consulting with someone on a menu for the new restaurant they're opening. the wife didn't have coconut stuff to make a pina colada, so she improvised and made a pineapple-y frosty drink for me.

the place was busy with local biker types, nice folks watching football and drinking beer...

cheers
elicia

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-26 1:21 pm   Permalink

On a recent trip to Kaui I found very little tiki if I didn't really look for it. I even discussed the "Give Hawaii back to the Hawaiians movement" with a few locals and have to agree with them for the most part. I didn't ever see the Wallmart, but did most of my siouvenir shopping at the many ABC stores on the island. Same stuff you saw everywhere else at third of the price.

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-26 1:34 pm   Permalink

Pictures like that are why I can't let myself miss a TC posting. The barstools, that palm tree. Wonderful.

View Profile of Cultjam Send a personal message to Cultjam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mrs. B
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-27 12:16 am   Permalink

Sad to say, but Auntie has gone to the Big Luau in the Sky ~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bless Auntie Louise.
She was the heart of Tahiti Nui and most visited to talk story with our Auntie.
This might explain the recent dis-enchanting visits by some TC'ers. Ben and I loved Tahiti Nui, but hadn't visited in years and we were truly complexed over the bad reviews. Well, mystery solved. The heart is gone....only memories we hold.
Aloha!

View Profile of Mrs. B Send a personal message to Mrs. B      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-27 08:59 am   Permalink

That is sad news indeed.
I was just tthere in April of this year, too.

Her place had been bought by someone else, a nephew methinks, and the bar was less important to them than the luau they held for the big hotel over on the point.

Young Tahiti Nui guy: "Pierce Brosnan was at the Luau last night."

Me: "Who's that?"

Wahine: *PUNCH* "You know who that is!!!" (she's got a crush on his accent)

Aunty: "She a keeper. Keep you straight, hahahaha."

Me: "Speaking of straight - hit me with another one of those famous Mai Tais, madam."

Thanks for posting those pics, BTW. I can feel the warm, wet breeze blowing through the place when I look at them.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-27 12:45 pm   Permalink

Tiki-bot:

Excellent tiki travel report and thank you. A Kauai vacation is definitely something to be thankful for on Thanksgiving.

Do you think staying at the Hyatt or Marriot is worth the higher price?

Where did you go to watch the sunset? Is it true that all hotels, etc. are on the east side of the island whereas the sunset is on the West side?

Lastly, did you take the cruise down Wailua river to the Fern Grotto and, if so, how long & how was it?

Happy Thanksgiving.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-01 6:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-11-27 12:45, christiki295 wrote:
Tiki-bot:

Do you think staying at the Hyatt or Marriot is worth the higher price?

Where did you go to watch the sunset? Is it true that all hotels, etc. are on the east side of the island whereas the sunset is on the West side?

Lastly, did you take the cruise down Wailua river to the Fern Grotto and, if so, how long & how was it?

Happy Thanksgiving.

Aloha, CT295. I don't think the hotel matters much unless you plan to spend a lot of time there. You're probably just as well off with a beachside condo (where we always stay) that's decent and spending your time boppin' around the isle.

Yes, most of the resorts on Kauai are on the north, east & west shores. Great for watching sunrises with the time change. Best sunsets I've seen are from a boat or the north resorts in Princeville.

In 4 trips to Kauai I haven't been up the Wailua river or to the fern grotto. I tend to shy away from touristy things, but I hear it's fun. There are so many other things to do & amazing sights to see, many for free, that the river trip never gets to the top of my list.

BTW, the trip I refer to here was one we went on last November (2002).

Also, I am eternally embarrassed I ever bought anything tiki at Walmart. See, we don't have Walmarts where I live...really! I have since seen the error of my ways and seen the evil that is Sprawl-mart taking over the country. I apologize profusely. And I may even send back the stuff I bought there with a bottle of gin!

Aloha!

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-02 10:26 pm   Permalink

Pele would be pleased. I understand she was incarnated on Kaui before settling on the Big Island.

I had a similar problem regarding poor judgment when purchasing tikis. I purchased my tikis in the gift shop of the Kanapali Beach Hotel (which were made in China) and then the next day a true Hawaiian was selling tikis on the lanai. I regret I did not throw them into the ocean and purchase some made with mana (but I, too, wanted to save my dollars for mai-tais, as they were served in pineapples next door at the Sheraton.)

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-03 12:23 pm   Permalink

Good to see we have our priorities in order...

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-12-03 5:18 pm   Permalink

ChrisTiki:

we love "the hyatt touch" ~ everything about the Kauai Hyatt is wonderful: but to be real honest, we didnt spend enough time there! i think we spent a total of 3 hours poolside, didnt use the tennis, spa, wt room, golf or the other ammenities. we did get the breakfast buffet included in our room rate plus one night free ~ but i HIGHLY recommend going to a Sunday Hyatt Brunch (after 10 am) i have never seen so much food in my life... just make sure you dont have any activites planned afterwards, you'll be too full to move!

we decided next time to rent something cheaper, and make a point to GO to the hyatt and take in the free hawaiian music/dancing & live jazz at the bars. they have the most amazing Kalua Pork Nachos... a huge plate for 10 bucks. but its only served at the Seaview Terrace from 4-10 pm. dinner at Tidepools was very good too.

we did the cruise down Wailua river to the Fern Grotto 10 years ago, and didnt feel we needed to do it again (but i DO RECOMMEND you do it once!) if you're not too Luau'ed Out, the Smith Luau is pretty good.

we saw most of the sunsets from the hotel, so they werent spectacular.

i guess i should post our restaurant reviews, since we found a few gems on Kauai (and a few on oahu too)..

bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2005-08-19 08:26 am   Permalink

We spent 10 days on Kauai last month. Stayed at the Kuhio Shores condos near Poipu. The waves crashing on the rocks was 20 feet from our second floor balcony. 3 sea turtles feed off the reef and we watched them everyday (snorkled with them twice).
We were next door to the Beach House restaurant (good) with a great offshore reef break. The first 5 days it was about 5-8' with both a right and left hand break. Bethany Hamilton (the young surfer that lost her arm to a shark a couple years ago) and other good surfers were out from dawn to dark everyday (not me.....just one morning on a rented 10' log on a 2'-3' shore break in front of the Sheraton).

In front of the Beach House

Tahiti Nui Sign

Tikis at the Hyatt

Tiki at the Sheraton

One of 2 large Tikis in front of the window into the kitchen at Tidepools restaurant (Hyatt).....this place had great decor.....lotsa bamboo, tapa, outrigger (in the bar)

Best cheap lunch was at Keokis in Poipu......huge fish taco with black beans for $5.95.....best mai tai? Not found. Best drinks were at the condo.....most stores carried a large assortment of Trader Vic's Rums and mixes. We also had a good meal (and a great margarita) at the Blue Dolphin in Hanalei......The Poipu shopping center had a free Polynesion dance show on Tuesday and Thursday, but we missed it. Aloha

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-19 09:24 am   Permalink

I just read through this post, and relived my first vacation with Tiki-Bot....
When a man takes you to Kauai for your first vacation, you pretty much have to marry him and have his child... (on a side note, our first weekend away trip was to Tiki Oasis 2! HE PLIED ME WITH RUM....)
Anyway - I was laughing at how silly we were buying tiki's at Wal-Mart, we bought the resin molded tikis for my nephews as gifts, and some fake tapa place mats, some stickers and postcards, not much else. And T-Bot is correct, we didn't have Wal mart in Nor Cal 3 years ago, and we didn't know of their evil. I feel so bad....
We have friends who just got from 2 weeks on their honeymoon, and they had a lovely time. Our Kauai picture page is long gone, so it was nice seeing the tikis from around the island. My favorite place was snorkeling at Tunnels, having dinner at Dukes, and the sunset cruise off the coast!
I want to go back....

[ This Message was edited by: mrs. pineapple 2005-08-19 09:25 ]

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation