FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Domainers at Tiki Central?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Domainers at Tiki Central?
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 5:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2004-11-30 14:55, Futura Girl wrote:

does anyone use godaddy anymore?

I do, and have been very happy with them. They really need to de-confuse-ify their homepage, though. Terrible layout design.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-01 07:17 am   Permalink

I use godaddy for my small almost unused site www.higitiki.com

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-01 10:29 am   Permalink

As a webmaster, I despise archive.org.

It has outdated versions of my pages with old information, pages that were updated with new pics or spelling corrections, or info corrections. It has pages that I have removed for various reasons. In short, they make avilable to the public a lot of stuff that I have chosen to change or remove from my own web site. Who has time to sift through their entire site just to ask them to clean out my own web pages, one by one?

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-02 11:50 am   Permalink

You can place a robots.txt file in your code that instructs them not to archive your old pages. See more info here:
http://www.archive.org/about/exclude.php

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-02 12:17 pm   Permalink

I also use godaddy.com for my website and domain:

www.badasstikis.com

G.

[ This Message was edited by: tikifreak on 2004-12-02 12:18 ]

View Profile of tikifreak Send a personal message to tikifreak  Email tikifreak Goto the website of tikifreak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-02 3:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2004-12-02 11:50, Tangaroa wrote:You can place a robots.txt file in your code that instructs them not to archive your old pages. See more info here: http://www.archive.org/about/exclude.php

BBCode Quote End -->
the only problem with that is once you tell 'em not to crawl, it removes ALL the pages from your website for now and forever. They will not selectively remove page(s).

I found this out the hard way - a couple of years ago they crawled a page on the modcom site that had been erroneously linked that included all sorts of private names and phone numbers . well, i had to get it off there asap - but they had to remove modcom from all future crawls, too... that's no good when you're trying to get as many links and hits as possible to build your webby kingdom.

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-02 5:06 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-12-02 15:03, Futura Girl wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-12-02 11:50, Tangaroa wrote:You can place a robots.txt file in your code that instructs them not to archive your old pages. See more info here: http://www.archive.org/about/exclude.php</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
the only problem with that is once you tell 'em not to crawl, it removes ALL the pages from your website for now and forever. They will not selectively remove page(s).

Yikes!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-02 5:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-22 16:07, Tikiwahine wrote:
People that 'collect' multiple domain names drive me crazy!

Being a non-geek, I don't understand why anyone would want to do this. Are they hoping for some sort of big payout from a corporation who wants the name? Or is it someting that people collect like stamps?

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hula Hitch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-12-03 12:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Being a non-geek, I don't understand why anyone would want to do this. Are they hoping for some sort of big payout from a corporation who wants the name? Or is it someting that people collect like stamps?
Trader Woody

Consider it Electronic Real Estate. It can be an investment; IE the right buyer for the right name, or an income generator by advertisers via Pay-Per-Click.

Trademark issues rule out the company name/product name type thing, but imagine if you had the foresight to register CARS.com or AA.com or BUY.com? SEARCHING.com just sold last month for $27,000.00, ME.com for $460,000 and the high sale of the year is CREDITCARDS.com for $2.75 Million!

Not bad Real Estate transcations I'd say...

Spread 'Da Aloha!

View Profile of Hula Hitch Send a personal message to Hula Hitch  Email Hula Hitch Goto the website of Hula Hitch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hula Hitch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-12-03 12:09 pm   Permalink

This just in:
The largest domain transaction of all time was announced Nov. 23, 2004. Seattle based Marchex, Inc. said they have reached an agreement to buy a portfolio containing tens of thousands of domains from Name Development Inc. in a deal worth just over $164 million. Name Development appears to be a corporate entity holding domains owned by Yun Ye's Ultimate Search, a pioneering company in the pay per click (PPC) field. Marchex said the deal is expected to be finalized in the first quarter of 2005...

Spread 'Da Aloha!

View Profile of Hula Hitch Send a personal message to Hula Hitch  Email Hula Hitch Goto the website of Hula Hitch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation