FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Shag With a Twist
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Shag With a Twist
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-04 12:09 am   Permalink

saw the preview tonight and all i can say is wow!

lots of eye candy for everyone to enjoy: incredible sets, incredible costumes! great dancers...

Your Ultra Style Guide for Modern Living!

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-04 08:29 am   Permalink

What a gas! A chance to step into a Shag painting! They did an incredible job at making the Shag monkey come alive. And I wanted to take the maid home, but they didn't let me.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-03-04 09:35 am   Permalink

Lotsa Pedro connections with this... Everything Cindy and her husband do is pure magic they are simply amazing dance instructors.

Can't wait to see it...and what's this??? a former student dancing with them too???KUDOS to you! ZOWIE! it's gonna be a good one...

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dua tale

Posted: 2005-03-04 11:10 am   Permalink

Great description by the previous reviewers....it is like a live-action Shag cartoon...colorful, vibrant...lots of fun!

View Profile of dua tale Send a personal message to dua tale  Goto the website of dua tale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-04 5:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2005-03-04 08:29, bigbrotiki wrote:They did an incredible job at making the Shag monkey come alive. And I wanted to take the maid home, but they didn't let me.

i LOVED the monkey...
but watch out Sven - the maid is ONLY 16 Y.O.!!!

Your Ultra Style Guide for Modern Living!

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-04 5:54 pm   Permalink

Ahaaa, that's why....she just looked like the perfect little French comic strip heroine!

In Germany 16 wouldn't be a problem, when I Iived there I was going out with 15 year olds ....(so OK, I was 30 years younger then)

I was talking strictly from an artistic/platonic viewpoint anyway!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-04 6:29 pm   Permalink

Perv!

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-tina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-04 6:44 pm   Permalink

So happy to hear it rocks! Can't wait to see it...we'll be there next week on Saturday the 12 for the show! Anyone else going? We're thiking of making a stop at Tiki Ti either before or after...flying in all the way from AZ and staying in SAMO. Hope to see y'all there!

View Profile of tiki-tina Send a personal message to tiki-tina      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-03-04 6:58 pm   Permalink

Ya know...it's all kinda weird when I actually know the person you're all talking about (he says shaking a finger while glaring disaprovingly in a teacherly way)

HMPH!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-05 08:43 am   Permalink

I'll be going tonite, can't wait! Dinner at Musso & Franks then over to the Tiki Ti (hopefully) for a pre-show cocktail....

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Matt on 2005-03-05 08:45 ]

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-05 10:12 am   Permalink

Two things to share for future viewers that will help the reception of this masterwork:

I always thought it would be a play, but when I heard that Shag insisted there would be no dialogue (I was happily surprised) I should have anticipated that it is more of a musical. Yet there is not that much singing either (good), so the story is told by miming and mostly by incredible dance numbers, like in a Austin Powers movie where some cue lets the whole cast break into dance unexpectedly. As a kid that kind of stuff always made me cringe, but now I see it as wonderfully corny and love it.

Also, you should read the program before the play, to understand the characters, and the base of the story, but then forget about clinging too tightly to the storyline and let the goings-on unravel on their own.

In a Q&A after the performance Shag recalled that initially the narrative was too straight forward, and he worked with the director to purposely make it more ambiguous, so that just like in his paintings, the actual happenings would be up to each individual's interpretation.
This way the performance is as close as it can get to an animated Shag painting.

So if you feel you can't follow, don't try to hard. Allow the incredible sets, costumes, music and dancing provide the feast for the eyes that they are.

This forum seems like the perfect place to later discuss each individual's. interpretations.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki on 2005-03-05 11:27 ]

Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-05 11:17 am   Permalink

Thanks for the post Sven. I really had no idea what I was in for, but now have some idea....I'm even more curious, now....Can't wait!

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
babydoe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-10 10:33 pm   Permalink

March 26, 2005 will be a special TIKI NEWS hosted performance of Shag with a Twist

A couple weeks ago Otto and I had the opportunity to view a dress rehearsal of Shag With A Twist - and it was really groovy! The costumes, the music, the dance were like a SHAG painting come to life. The music, composed by Chris Lang (formerly of the Wigs) and co-composed/arranged by Cesar Benitez, is excellent. In fact it is so good that you should plan on buying the CD the night of March 26. There is Bossa Nova, Surf, big band/Lounge, Go Go - everything you would expect to hear when viewing a Shag diorama.

March 26, 2005 will be a special TIKI NEWS hosted performance of Shag with a Twist

I (Baby Doe) will be there with hubbie Otto von Stroheim and I hope to see some of you there!

Make plans to make the scene with all the other Tiki afficionados and Shag loving hipsters.

Simply by mentioning "TIKI NEWS MAGAZINE" and you will receive a discount of 20% off your ticket price!!
That's $9 off the $45 tix and $7 off the $35 tix

We have a lot of additional ideas in the works but plans have not been finalized. A few things we are working on are:
- A no host Tiki Bar on site
- An after-show Q & A with Shag and the key artistic directors of the show - Chris Lang, Doug Smith (lighting), Joel Berlin (costumes), and Cindy Bradley (choreographer)
- Gift/giveaway/memento

To get discount tickets for Saturday March 26th say TIKI NEWS MAGAZINE!!
www.shagwithatwist.com or by calling (888) 515-SHAG

Please dress to impress!

Here's the press release
LOS ANGELES, CA (January 25, 2005) - Producers of a theatrical experience based on the work of famed visual artist Josh Agle, aka "Shag," have announced that the show will make its world debut at the Los Angeles Theatre Center in March 2005.

Shag with a Twist&; is described as an extraordinary show that brings to life the vibrant illustrations of "Shag" through an evocative cocktail of art, music and dance.

Thirteen thoroughly modern Shag-created characters romp through an idyllic era of jet setting, Tiki, and lounge-inspired tunes. Like the time they represent, swanky Tupperware; party goers soon discover that even good things come to an end. A murder results in chaos and the fallout is one of the most capricious mysteries ever staged -- complete with a bumbling inspector, quirky sidekick, and a host of unlikely suspects.

The show is a creative collaboration between artist Agle and choreographer/director Cindy Bradley. Both are based in the Los Angeles-area. The show is produced by Jetsetter Productions, LLC in partnership with the City of Los Angeles Cultural Affairs Department and the San Pedro City Ballet.

Shag with a Twist opens March 18 and runs through June 11, 2005. Three shows will be performed weekly on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings beginning at 8:00 PM. Preview performances start March 3rd at the Los Angeles Theatre Center located at 514 South Spring Street in Downtown Los Angeles. Tickets are priced at $35 and $45 ($25 for students and seniors with ID) and are available at the show's website www.shagwithatwist.com or by calling (888) 515-SHAG. Tickets to the preview performances are available to members of the Show's "Jetsetter Club." Membership information can also be obtained at the show's website.

View Profile of babydoe Send a personal message to babydoe  Goto the website of babydoe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-14 4:52 pm   Permalink

I saw the show last Saturday, and boy was it great! I really appreciated the fact that the crew had a question and answer session after the show, it was very interesting. If you haven't seen it yet, GO GO. Even after Sven's post, it was still nothing like I expected.

bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2005-03-14 7:12 pm   Permalink

Mrs. Fury and I made it to the Saturday (12th) show (Thanks for the tix Otto). I think everyone will enjoy the show as we did. We thought by adding an extra hour to the normally 45 minute drive to L.A. would allow us plenty of time.......but traffic sucked and we got there about 8:05, about 5 minutes before the show started. We sat downstairs for the first part of the show, then moved to the almost empty balcony after intermission. The vocals were better up there (note to concertgoers.....sit near the mixing board, usually where the best sound is). The Q&A was amusing as some people did not seem to get what was going on or argued over a word in a song. It wasn't that complicated. Go.......have fun......do the Shag.....

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation