FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki What's the worst thing in your neigborhood? (not counting us)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
What's the worst thing in your neigborhood? (not counting us)
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-19 08:15 am   Permalink

the other side of the coin is (for me) I would have serious problems living in a place with CCRs restricting what color I could paint my door, or how long I could leave my garage open.

Why would Laney love the Salty Whore Wotor Home?

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-19 09:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-19 08:15, Gigantalope wrote:
the other side of the coin is (for me) I would have serious problems living in a place with CCRs restricting what color I could paint my door, or how long I could leave my garage open.

Thats exactly what Cerritos, Ca. does. I cant even park overnight on the street in front of my own house on a weekend. ALso you can only use certain city approved mailboxs for your house as well as color to paint your home.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-19 10:04 am   Permalink

OK - my next door neighbor's rotten kids (and maybe some friends) shot BB's into my daughters bedroom window - witch eventually cracked it.

Thankfully they paid for it with minimal fuss - but jeez - what a pain to get the window replaced...

(This just in - Laney wants to make sure that everybody knows I was a perfect angel as a child & completely innocent when it came to "neighborhood pranks"...)

[ This Message was edited by: Tangaroa on 2004-11-19 10:05 ]

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-11-19 11:15 am   Permalink

there's always one eyesore/white trash abode in every block, and when I look outside my front door, I can't see any. It must be me!

I have the plastic tikis staple gunned to my front porch, with turqoise cement Fu Dogs and a dilapidated chair growing rosemary and chives out of it. overgrown monster geraniums. oh, and my rusty ba gua mirror over the door.

on the back patio, sort of visible to neighbors, the purple and green x-mas lights come on every night due to the automatic timer. a dark green gnome bird feeder on top of a dirty wooden stool. I think the coconut monkey windchimes make it all classy though.

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-19 11:27 am   Permalink

I have neighbors who never take down their Christmas decorations.

I'm not just talking about lights on the outside of houses, but *all* holiday decor.

It's not unusual to drive through my neighborhood in July and see a house with a fully decorated artificial tree in the living room window.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-19 11:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-19 11:27, cynfulcynner wrote:

I have neighbors who never take down their Christmas decorations.

I'm not just talking about lights on the outside of houses, but *all* holiday decor.

It's not unusual to drive through my neighborhood in July and see a house with a fully decorated artificial tree in the living room window.

I agree, year-round christmas decor has to be the worst, and the most common. Tons of houses around me have those ugly-ass 'icicle' lights hanging off their porches and gutters all year, and almost all of them have sections that are falling down because the cheap clips have broken or fallen off.

My decorations go up the day after Thanksgiving, and come down the day after Christmas. Not one minute later.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
eel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-11-19 11:52 am   Permalink

Damn it, did it again, THIS IS LANEY! I accidentally posted as eel.
Quote:

On 2004-11-18 23:26, Traderpup wrote:
Laney will like this: The Salty Whore..... a neighbor's beat-up, run down motorhome, the kind that has big globs of caulking around the windows & duct tape holding some of the siding on.... it actually says "The Salty Whore" in peel-n-stick vinyl stickers across the back...

the only road trips it ever sees these days is its move to the other side of the street on street sweeping day......

OH, OH, I just LOVE the Salty Whore!!!!
I have a different complaint, my crotchidy old neighbors have nothing better to do but keep their lawn perfect! I mean it looks like astro turf. They don't let their German Shepard 'go' in their front/back yard so several times a day they 'walk' him all over everyone elses lawns including mine.
They complain, with letters, about everything from a dog barking at *gasp* 9 PM (the wife goes to bed at like 7:30) to a palm leaf hanging over the fence in their back yard.
It makes me want to paint my house bright yellow, plant up and old bath tub, hang doll parts, and park the Salty Whore right in front of their house. They'll be able to hear their property value dropping, hehehe! Thanks for the ideas, keep 'em comming!

[ This Message was edited by: eel on 2004-11-19 11:54 ]

View Profile of eel Send a personal message to eel      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-11-19 11:58 am   Permalink

that reminds me of one of my favorite children's books "the big orange splot"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0590445103/qid=1100890591/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-6935431-2286445?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

where the whole block had perfect, ticky-tacky homes, and then one guy decides to turn his into a jungle-themed home. the neighbors complain, but then another turns his home into a ship, and so on. it's a cute story! and possibly the birth of my fascination with themed-homes and themed-rooms.

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-19 12:14 pm   Permalink

Laney that totally reminded me of one of my parents neighbors.

A duplex down the street. Two families, Johan and his son, who's about my age, and their dog Roland, a nice yellow lab who's great friends with Gypsy. The guy on the other side had this basset hound named Millie who could only hang out in the backyard. The tiny little 10' X 10' front yard was so manicured, he ACTUALLY VACUUMED IT! I am not kidding. He'd be out there with a canister vacuum on his hands and knees. That's soooo sad.

Another one of their neighbors painted their house pumpkin orange. Of course they left the brick, but everything else it this nice vomity baby diaper mess colour. Love-ley.

Now I'm all over crazy paint jobs, at least I appreciate being able to do whatever I want, but some people need to get their eyes checked.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-19 12:23 pm   Permalink

Our neighbors across the street, who are a really nice family and swell neighbors, have a second story that looks like one of those homemade 60s campers that hippies built on the backs of the their pickups. It hangs precariously off the back of their house and is covered in brown shingles, while the rest of the house is pink stucco. Odd.

But the REAL eyesore is the parked truck I pass on the way home that has a bumper sticker with the names of a certain president and vice president. It's just obscene and makes me sick every time I see it.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-19 12:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-19 12:23, Tiki-bot wrote:
But the REAL eyesore is the parked truck I pass on the way home that has a bumper sticker with the names of a certain president and vice president. It's just obscene and makes me sick every time I see it.

As Nelson Mundt would say, "Ha-ha"

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-19 12:58 pm   Permalink

I live in a pretty modest 50's era development, a lot of nice little cookie-cutter yet cool (cape cods and ranches) brick homes. On the outskirts of the hood, just a couple blocks over, are some awsome, nice-sized, mid-century marvels. This is one solid street of 50's/60's modern and kitch houses! My complaint? Directly behind this row of glory sits a huge Wall Mart plaza, virtually right up to the backyards! Imagine sitting in your backyard and having your conversations drown out by the massive air-handlers on the roof of such a place not to mention the view!

There are also a number of people who speed and blast their bass systems through the nieghborhood which has a lot of very narrow streets and young families with children as well as elderly. My God! Does this mean i'm Old?
-FB

[ This Message was edited by: FreakBear on 2004-11-19 12:59 ]

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-19 1:01 pm   Permalink

Tikiwahine-the vacuuming thing reminded me of a neighbor we had growing up who would (during locust season)vacuum up all the cicada shells with an old Hoover.We always thought that was a scream.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-19 1:08 pm   Permalink

The people in my old neighbourhood used to hose off the sidewalks in front of their homes. Like if there was ONE TWIG, instead of picking it up, they would just aim the hose at it for 10 minutes until it finally inched off the sidewalk into the road.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-19 1:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-19 13:01, docwoods wrote:
Tikiwahine-the vacuuming thing reminded me of a neighbor we had growing up who would (during locust season)vacuum up all the cicada shells with an old Hoover.We always thought that was a scream.

Did you hear about the guy in Cincinatti who fried up and ate a whole panful of dead cicadae this year? I hear the smell was horrible. I'm sure he's a neighborhood favorite!
-FB

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation