FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki What's the worst thing in your neigborhood? (not counting us)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
What's the worst thing in your neigborhood? (not counting us)
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-19 1:40 pm   Permalink

Luckily my wife and I moved from our old neighborhood 2 years ago or I would be writing on this topic for the next 3 months! Oh the hell with it...for ol' times sake... There was this group of people, might have been a family, couldn't really tell...there was always a bunch of scary looking, greasy, bearded guys hanging around with their heads buried under the hoods of an entire fleet of, I'm not exaggerating, 9 Chevy Novas. The unusual thing was that not one of the cars had a speck of paint on them or any components that would make them street legal. Earthshaking straight exhausts with no mufflers, big-ass drag slicks, rebel flag stickers, I think one of them even had a roll cage in it! But anyway, the one car that must have been the favorite was the orange primered dragster complete with wheelie bars and a blower. These assholes used to fire up that damn car hourly, every day of the f-ing week! They wouldn't drive it much but just crank it up, give it some gas and let it idle. The windows in our house used to vibrate in tune with their straight pipes! On occasion they'd take it out of the neighborhood and I'm not kidding, you could hear them getting into it on the Route 1 bypass at least 3 miles away! I don't miss those bastards one bit!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-19 5:41 pm   Permalink

Our main eyesore has finally been removed but let me tell you about it. Directly across from us is a house whose occupants do not use a trash service. Instead, they had a trailer which was one of those pickup beds taken off the truck and made into a trailer to pull behind a truck. Weird in itself.
Anyway, they parked it in the driveway next to their front entrance and then proceded to add trash to it all winter. Finally in the spring when it warmed up and the mound of trash was heaped over the sides of the trailer, it still sat there for all the world to admire. Plus it began to ferment.
We finally had enough and went to the city codes administers office and filed a complaint. They moved it within a week.
However, it only went around the curve to the parking lot of the neighborhood pool.
It sat there for a while and then came back empty one day only to be placed back on the driveway to be reloaded. I thought I was gonna die. The irony of it is that when you spend so much time beautifying your place and the people across from you don't lift a finger, you have to look at their mess while their view is a lovely colorful well kept space.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
trustar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-19 5:54 pm   Permalink

Growing up we had a family that was a little eccentric to say the least. One year they painted their house a bright purple. Over the garage they put up a sign that said,

"I don't like the color of your house either"

Trustar

View Profile of trustar Send a personal message to trustar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-19 7:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you hear about the guy in Cincinatti who fried up and ate a whole panful of dead cicadae this year? I hear the smell was horrible. I'm sure he's a neighborhood favorite!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shelac is actually made from Beetle shells, and is still in use to make Candy shiney.
Creepy?... yes??

I once had a neighbor who also never took out trash...did'nt want "the man" to know he lived there.

He burned dumpsterloads of crap...plastic, wood, rubber, anything.
If I hung my clotes outside to dry they smelled like a smouldering Carls Jr cup.

He dissapeared one night, and so did all the copper wires in the house.

creepy.

[ This Message was edited by: gigantalope on 2004-11-20 00:29 ]

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
calneva
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-11-19 10:19 pm   Permalink

Hello from the beautiful Mission district in sunny San Francisco! I love my neighborhood, but here's a short list of things I could do without.
1. the methodone clinic across the street
2. the "medical marjuana" clinic down the street who's patients all seem to be in their 20's and very healthy.
3. the 50 or so homeless people that live within a couple of blocks of my building.
4.the hundreds, if not thousands, of pigeons who seem to have formed a gang and are in a constant street battle with the homeless.
5. the freeway off ramp a couple of hundred feet from our front door that feeds most of central and western San Francisco.

View Profile of calneva Send a personal message to calneva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dimethios
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-20 09:58 am   Permalink

--------------------------------------------
Did you hear about the guy in Cincinatti who fried up and ate a whole panful of dead cicadae this year? I hear the smell was horrible. I'm sure he's a neighborhood favorite!
-FB
--------------------------------------------

Nope havent heard of him, but check this out...

http://www.urhome.umd.edu/newsdesk/pdf/cicada%20recipes.PDF

Now, I know I am a chef and I should be open to "try" all kinds of food but I just can't. I always said the one thing for sure I would lose at in the TV show Fear Factor is eating all that wierd stuff.

And to Calneva - "3. the 50 or so homeless people that live within a couple of blocks of my building."

I'm sure when they are laying out there in the cold and rain and havent eaten in a week or so that they are thinking the same thing about people like you. You'd better pray to whatever higher being you worship to that it never happens to you.

[ This Message was edited by: Dimethios on 2004-11-20 10:09 ]

View Profile of Dimethios Send a personal message to Dimethios      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-20 10:42 am   Permalink

Dimethios...good point...make everyday Thanksgiving and all that...the dilemma being, if people work to hard to keep from becomming homeless that would include not screwing off at work. (inject Calvinistic/Knoxian rant here) And with that...who would post?
I would then loose my reason to exist and find myself becomming a freelance pharmasist on Crocker St in downtown LA too.

so it's all about ballance.

Here's another tidbit of loathing I have (And I know you have more so dig deep in your rants...it's all about cleaning this festering anger out)

On the other side of the block from me is a new Day-Care that I have to pass to come home. It's on a very busy street, and there is no child pick up window, so all the Moms in BMW SUVs...talking on cell phones back up...often 5 deep to pick up Chelsea and Brittany.

The other way in to my street has a School which is the same thing. (Nobody walks to school any more)...and nobody would ever admit thier SUV is a stationwagon...because their Mom had a stationwagon and "I'm not like her!"...so it looks like a parade of Exlplorers, H2s, Escalades, and all the rest stopped in the street,keeping me from being able to go thru a green light.

[ This Message was edited by: Gigantalope on 2004-11-20 10:48 ]

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-20 12:36 pm   Permalink

I can't help noting that despite any of the negative points my neighborhood has there are abundant positives as well. While I'm certainly not fortunate enough to live in some posh historical district somewhere, I have found a slice of Heaven here that I'm able (for the time being) to call home. I also have some very compassionate neighbors that are always willing to lend a hand!

I definitely have to second that SUV thing! These are a ridiculous addition to any neighborhood! As well as "Truck Nuts" -- has anyone heard of these?

-FB

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-20 12:42 pm   Permalink

Truck Nuts? there is a long wierd strip between two cities that is unincorporated that has no curb. Big Rigs are often parked there.

They once would sleep there with the engine running, but that trend has stopped.

Is that what you mean FB?

There is also a large SBC box a few doors down, and the techs park there to work...they sometimes pee there too.

I don't mind that tho...it's about 100 yards away, and adds charm.

Truck nuts tho...???

FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-20 1:07 pm   Permalink

"Truck Nuts" are a sort of automotive embellishment accessory. They seem to be made of a sort of solid molded neon colored plastic, and they "dangle" from the rear bumper or hitch of pickup trucks or SUVs. Oh yeah, they are shaped after the so-named "man-set", "balls", etc.

There was a low-rise S 10 outfitted with a "pair" that used to shortcut through our neighborhood.

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-22 1:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-20 13:07, FreakBear wrote:
"Truck Nuts" are a sort of automotive embellishment accessory. They seem to be made of a sort of solid molded neon colored plastic, and they "dangle" from the rear bumper or hitch of pickup trucks or SUVs. Oh yeah, they are shaped after the so-named "man-set", "balls", etc.

There was a low-rise S 10 outfitted with a "pair" that used to shortcut through our neighborhood.

Bumper Nuts

[ This Message was edited by: freddiefreelance on 2004-11-22 15:01 ]

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-22 1:40 pm   Permalink

that's disgusting.
And you won't hear me say that very often

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-22 2:27 pm   Permalink

I don't really have any complaints about my neighborhood: I've lived in some really bad neighborhoods in my time so I don't really have a problem with much any more. The worst neighborhood was probably the east side of Hollywood around Hollywood & Western, some friends from South Central LA were afraid to visit me there. In one place part of my rent was paid by the manager since every morning I'd take the hanger bar from my closet (a six foot long, 2 inch diameter pole with rusty nails sticking out of the ends) & chase the homeless crackheads out of a back bungalow that was being renovated. I was living in that neighborhood again during the Rodney King riots, just a block from the Sears that was looted & burned to the ground, I ended up being docked a days pay when I couldn't get to work 'cause the National Guard was mobilizing on my street. I finally moved of that neighborhood for the last time after the Northridge 'quake, my apartment shook so bad that my desk exploded in the living room, all of my dishes broke in the kitchen, & everything in my medicine cabinet broke in the bathroom sink.

I'd usually alternate between East Hollywood & NW Pasadena, where Radical Enterprises (my old outlaw catering company) had been based. I remember having a Halloween party crashed by a crack dealer looking to make a sale, he eventually left after only making a couple sales (I guess business was slow for such a large group). In one place we had to patch the roof after most New Year's Eves & 4th of Julys to repair at least one bullet hole.

After leaving Hollywood for good I ended up in Sherman Oaks, right after the Northridge quake! I got free rent just so there'd be someone in the building. It was the last building on the block not condemned, & probably one of a dozen in a 5 block radius.

Yeah, I'm sick of SUVs, Semi's idling on neighborhood streets, my neighbors who stockpile their 4 year old's dirty diapers on their porch until their harridan screaming drives their 8 year old off the couch to drag the bag(s) over to the dumpster (of course the 8 year old isn't tall enough to get them in the dumpster...), etc., but all that seems minor compared to what I've seen & lived through in my life.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-11-22 2:41 pm   Permalink

Jeez Louise! You all make me glad I'm living in an apartment complex in the suburbs! When we have "bad egg" neighbors or other problems, we just have the rental managers evict. Problem solved. Time for hot tubbin...

Home ownership? Been there, done that. Much happier now. On top of it all, I have a 10 minute commute to work, which does not involve getting on a freeway.

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WillTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-11-22 3:02 pm   Permalink

I have neighbors who seem to need their vehicles to be clean 24 / 7 and they do it to the point of prematurely wearing the paint and interior. I think it is their hobby other than mindless TV watching. Even in the winter, if the temperature climbs above freezing, they are out washing cars. I have seen the matriarch (there is no dad, go figure) outside in the dark with a shop light to see to vacuum and clean the interior. The best part is, her vehicle is garage kept. A few years ago, we had water restrictions that prohibited car washing and the use of soaker hoses for watering (open spray watering was ok, the logic escapes me since it is less efficient) They would actually sneak out in the middle of the night to wash cars! I had to chuckle though since the huge wet runoff hid my use of soaker hoses on my vegetable garden (hey, I do not give a rat's ass if my lawn is brown, but I do not want the man to mess with my ability to grow my own food).

View Profile of WillTiki Send a personal message to WillTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation