FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki What's the worst thing in your neigborhood? (not counting us)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
What's the worst thing in your neigborhood? (not counting us)
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-22 3:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-22 13:40, Tikiwahine wrote:
that's disgusting.
And you won't hear me say that very often

Tikiwahine, you're right, I've changed the image to a link. Around here I usually see'em on Dodge Ram trucks, so the guys seem to think they need the "Goat Sized" set...

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
calneva
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-11-22 3:29 pm   Permalink

I had to sit on this reply for a bit, I didn't want to turn this thread into a "Is it wrong not to want..." type rant. The homeless situation in SF is completely shameful. That one of the richest cities in the world has 15000+ people living on the streets is unreal to me. Personally I think that anyone who needs help should get it. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this situation, would you please contact Mayor Newsom, because things don't seem to be getting any better. I suspect that since SF has decent weather and is a port town(which means it's continually being flooded with hard drugs), the situation isn't going to change. I realize that I shouldn't have treated such a heavy topic jokingly.

However, as a former "hoosier", it's good to get hit with a blast of piety every now and again. It reminds me of why I left Indiana.

[ This Message was edited by: calneva on 2004-11-22 15:31 ]

View Profile of calneva Send a personal message to calneva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-22 3:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-19 22:19, calneva wrote:
1. the methodone clinic across the street
2. the "medical marjuana" clinic down the street who's patients all seem to be in their 20's and very healthy.
3. the 50 or so homeless people that live within a couple of blocks of my building.
4.the hundreds, if not thousands, of pigeons who seem to have formed a gang and are in a constant street battle with the homeless.
5. the freeway off ramp a couple of hundred feet from our front door that feeds most of central and western San Francisco.

Ahh, San Francisco! You should work for the tourist board.

The worst neighborhood situation I ever lived in was when I was in 3rd grade and we moved to Stanton. Okay all you OC-ers, make your fun! Knott & Katella. We lived in a condo next to a waste transfer station and a now-defunct army missile and radar installation (which was pretty cool when we were . We used to see the Nike missile launch tests from the schoolbus, just 500 feet away from us. Nothing like growing up at the height of the Cold & Vietnam wars.

On top of that, we had crazy stoner neighbors that we shared a wall with who played thumpin' loud music all the time. Their mid-teenage kids were so stoned and/or drunk they would pass out so hard that they didn't even wake up when the police pounded on their door. I wonder why they were never taken to child protective services.

It was all a step up from when we lived in Bell Gardens. The move to OC was around 1970, so I'm sure those places bear little resemblance to what they once were.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-23 4:47 pm   Permalink

I spent the entire summer re-building my patio off of my bedroom and re-landscaping my backyard. ("Not bad for a girl", my Dad would say.)

My neighbor's lot is lower than mine, about 3 - 4 feet down. They built a retaining wall against our lot as we live close to the beach and our houses are built on a very sandy soil.

One day they decided to remove the "offensive" retaining wall as they claim it "Was just plain too ugly to look at."

Here's your irony:

...is that the sound of banjos I hear?

In this back yard is one broken down, rusted up swing set, a mattress that is tore up leaning against the back garage, 3 months worth of garbage tossed into the back yard, an gargantuan sattellite dish (non-operating), seven broken chicken coops, various rusted piles of metal, etc. Then they had the nerve to tell me I have to fix their fence! My actual plan is to move my fence line closer to my house so I can put a 6' fence up the side to block off the view.

Here's the other kicker. My neighbor directly across from me is a "Mrs. Kravitz" type who tells me wayyyyy more than I ever wanted to know about my neighbors. I avoid her like the plague. One day while snooping around she saw that the white trash neighbors next door had a pit bull on a 2 foot leash tied up in the pile of trash and called the authorities. I give her "props" for that. "Mrs. Kravitz" honestly believes that the people that live there are incestuous, the father son and daughter all live together, father in his 80's, kids in their 40's but the daughter has 2 kids and she swears she's never seen her leave the house or seen a man enter. I hate to think of what she tells people about me.

I saved you from showing you pictures of the front yard. Inevitable broken down vehicles, more rusty junk and trash, 4 feet of weeds, hanging trim, etc. They seem to park a new broken down vehicle in front of my house every month until the city finally tows it away.

Good times!

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-23 8:01 pm   Permalink

Ah yes. Very reminiscent to my former neighbors.

My then landlord had hired one of redneck brother neighbors to trim the landscape on our house. This included the hedge between the property lines, which hid their jungle of broken down cars and boats. I was shocked to discover that this neighbor's idea of aesthetic was to hack everything down to a stump and/or completely pulling it out of the ground. Glad I got to him before he ruined what was left of the lovely, overgrown FL yard.

[ This Message was edited by: I dream of tiki on 2004-11-23 20:03 ]

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-23 8:19 pm   Permalink

Hmmm...

Well, we have all of those things: Homeless, greasy guys with seven broken down vehicles on the street or in the alley, trash in yards, etc.

What I'd call unusual though is the guy two doors down myself and the other neighbors have taken to calling "Dumptruck". As in, "Looks like Dumptruck is home from work."

Dumptruck, as is his namesake, drives a dumptruck. Not just for a living mind you, but he appears to drive a dumptruck everywhere. A giant blue deisel powered dumptruck. Dumptruck trip with the wife to the grocery store. Dumptruck out on a saturday night on the the town.

He also hates to turn the engine off apparently. So great is this hatred of shutting the massive beast down, that every day around noon or one, the dumptruck is parked on the street out front in front of some unfortunate souls home (never in front of his own house of course) idling away for hours on end.

Real nice in the spring with the windows open. Mmmmmmm-mmmm Dieselicious!

We also seem to have about 17 neighborhood Eminem clones that spend most of their days and nights vandalizing, screaming, fighting, breaking and entering, etc.

Small wonder that I should drink.

On a positive note, I will say that things are getting better in the neighborhood. The problem types are slowly disappearing.

Nobody is sure why they are leaving, but it's okay with me. Good for property values I s'pose.

In the meantime I'll just keep on inviting them over for a "drink" in my "basement bar". Got lots of space left...and concrete is so cheap.

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-23 9:07 pm   Permalink

Stuff-o!
Splendid photos...get's my angst up just peroozing them.

Ku Ku Ahu
Great story too...FYI.A lye pit is cheaper than concrete.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-23 10:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-22 13:12, freddiefreelance wrote:

Bumper Nuts

[ This Message was edited by: freddiefreelance on 2004-11-22 15:01 ]

Rev. F,

Those are the ones! Thanks for the clarify!

-FB

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-23 11:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-23 21:07, Gigantalope wrote:

Ku Ku Ahu
Great story too...FYI.A lye pit is cheaper than concrete.

Lye pit. Check. Thanks.

Oh, and uh...by "lye pit" you mean to say "hot tub" right?

As in "Come down to the basement and check out my hot tub."?

Ku Ku

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Velvet Ruby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-24 02:59 am   Permalink

ohh this topic is the source of frequent heartache between myself and friends..

currently we're living pretty much down by the docks, on the wrong side of the tracks, in the bad side of town, about 2 blocks from the native reservation...

our house is a very old apparently former miner's "shack" (2 tiny bedrooms, small living room, huge kitchen etc etc) our neighbours have an identically sized house.. I think it's layed out a bit better.. but there's umm.. about 7 people living there? about 5 kids plus parents.. anyhoo.. perhaps due to the obvious space restrictions they've set up a lean-to in their back yard and have lawn chairs and a tv set up in it.. I think it's their living room.. needless to say we're not planning on spending much time in the back yard until we can add some privacy fencing to the chain link fence that separates our back yards.. there is also a baby stroller perminantly parked in their front lawn, along with all the discarded toys and garbage their kids play with (most of which ususally ends up on our lawn, and leaning against our house (the houses are only about 10-15 feet apart with no fence separating in the front..

my OTHER rager.. is how east vancouver is being torn down and rebuilt into a pink stucco lego box freaking suburb.. it's DISGUSTING how developers can come and buy perfectly beautiful bungalows and 50s RANCHERS and completely DEMOLISH them, splitting the lots and building two idenitcal, HIDEOUS boxes with no yard where one beautiful house and spacious yard once stood.. this includes ripping out enormous trees and 60 years of well maintained landscaping.

I'm not going to play the race card with who's consistently doing this, but if you've ever been to vancouver ... nuff said.
I have been reduced to tears on more than one occasion walking past lots watching bulldozers raze to the ground houses I used to love looking at..

we snuck into the aforementioned rancher the day before they tore it down and it had the original curved walls and built ins from the 50s, a picture window about 6ft wide looking over downtown vancouver, inlaid hardwood floors, the orginal 50s formica kitchen with copper tiled backsplash.. I salvaged a couple of cupboard door handles.. but the place is gone like it had never existed.
to this day I get bummed out when I think about it.

beatgirlart.com

View Profile of Velvet Ruby Send a personal message to Velvet Ruby  Goto the website of Velvet Ruby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-24 2:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-24 02:59, Velvet Ruby wrote:
I'm not going to play the race card with who's consistently doing this, but if you've ever been to vancouver ... nuff said.

Ah, the "Race Card." Say no more, I think we can all agree that we prefer to not live next to Nascar fans...

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-24 3:26 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-11-24 14:52, freddiefreelance wrote:
Quote:

Ah, the "Race Card." Say no more, I think we can all agree that we prefer to not live next to Nascar fans...

Laffs!

Ahu

stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-24 4:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:
NASCAR fans

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-24 5:14 pm   Permalink

I'm certain that you must be referring to Dachshund Racing... 'nuff said.

[ This Message was edited by: ZebraTiki on 2004-11-24 17:15 ]

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-24 6:25 pm   Permalink

Hey there Velvet Ruby, I was mulling over your post this afternoon at work.

I too hate the idea of cool old houses being torn down and crap being built, as I'm sure other people do...especially the people in the neighborhoods where it's happening.

If I were you (and you wish to persue it) find out what company has been used as a builder.

Call them, acting as though you have property you want subdivided, and built on...and ask what group of do-gooders are a pain in the ass to these projects.

The people they name will become your new friends.

also go to the recorders and tax collectors office and find who is buying these propertys and doing this. (this is often info available on line) and keep a close eye on what they buy and sell.

When they buy any piece of property (and it's recorded) become a pain in the ass in the neighborhood.

Of course it's anyones right to buy property and improve it (Real Estate principles involving highest and best use of land...kinda leans towards higher density) but if you can get tax payers who own property to organize against this sort of thing...you can become quite influential.

best not to mention anything involving race...except of course Johnny Quest's pal, Race Bannon.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation