FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki The Aluminum Christmas tree. Love it or hate it? Now with Color Wheels!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
The Aluminum Christmas tree. Love it or hate it? Now with Color Wheels!!!
seafoamer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-19 6:26 pm   Permalink

Here's a few snaps of the color wheel I grew up with. It was my mom's when she grew up too:

[ This Message was edited by: seafoamer 2009-12-19 18:27 ]

View Profile of seafoamer Send a personal message to seafoamer  Email seafoamer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-19 8:25 pm   Permalink

Here's mine:

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-19 8:27 pm   Permalink

Hey 8FT! How bout some pics of those trees set up?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-15 9:11 pm   Permalink

I went to a Big Lots near me and they have brought out some Christmas decorations already and they have 4 ft. aluminum trees for $20.

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-01 09:25 am   Permalink

Now that Halloween is over, lets talk about Christmas.

Big Lots: 4 ft pink tinsel tree

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-20 9:02 pm   Permalink

Target now sells aluminum Xmas trees...

Target: 36 inch tinsel tree

And if Target sell them, they are now considered mainstream.

Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-21 10:15 pm   Permalink

Coco Loco and I just picked up one of those colored trees from Big Lots, earlier today. For the 4 foot ones, they have several colors to choose from, including blue, white, purple, and pink. No silver, though, which is what we wanted. The purple one was really cool, but we decided to go with pink, because we think it's color is light enough for a color wheel to work on. The trees are on sale, too, for $15 bucks! And they're pre-lit! We just finished setting it up, and it looks great! I'll have to post pics later.

So, anyone know where to purchase a color wheel, preferably a new one? I'd rather have a new one, that's quiet, than an old one, plus I'm broke and can't afford an expensive vintage one anyways. It appears that the color wheels are no longer available on the Harriet Carter catalog. A search of their website turns up no color wheels, and the link that Laney posted from 2005 yields the following information:

"The product you entered can not be displayed. Either the item is currently not available or it was entered incorrectly. Please try again. You may also enjoy learning about the featured products below.

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-21 10:54 pm   Permalink

I have 4 vintage color wheels all in boxes that look like they have never even been opened. They came from 4 different estate sales and seemed like good purchases at the time

This thread always reminds me i need to get a tree or two so I can finally use the wheels. I dont think 2 per tree is overkill...hmmmm...

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-21 11:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-21 22:15, Mai Tai wrote:So, anyone know where to purchase a color wheel, preferably a new one? I'd rather have a new one, that's quiet, than an old one, plus I'm broke and can't afford an expensive vintage one anyways. It appears that the color wheels are no longer available on the Harriet Carter catalog. A search of their website turns up no color wheels, and the link that Laney posted from 2005 yields the following information:

Linen N Things carries one:
http://www.lnt.com/show_product/690637-9853/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_term=690637-9853

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-22 05:25 am   Permalink

Amazon carries them. http://www.amazon.com/Color-Wheel-Artificial-Christmas-Trees/dp/B000Y8EKLI

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-07 1:29 pm   Permalink

color wheel for sure, and some other lighting too maybe.
and some tinsel trees, and more.
a coupla shots from last year:

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Naneki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-08 12:41 pm   Permalink

I made my tree using an outdoor bare tree and adding tinsel. It's 5 feet tall and has been holding up well (so far). Here's picture from 2 years ago.

I need a color wheel, darn it!

[Oh, and the photo in the back is an original Ruth Harriet Louise MGM promo shot of Estelle Clark.]

View Profile of Naneki Send a personal message to Naneki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seafoamer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-12-14 2:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-27 12:06, 8FT Tiki wrote:
Here are some miscellaneous manufacturers including
Consolidated Novelty Co., Paterson, NJ
R.O. KENT Corp. NY,NY and Federal Insulation Co. of Chicago,IL

I've got a bit of a Christmas Tree quandary:
When I was recently moving my grandmother out of her old house, I found a small Consolidated Novelty Co Xmas Tree in it's original box. The box is dated 6/24/65. It is not an aluminum tree, but it is the most atomic/space age looking tree I've ever seen. It's got some white flocking on the branches and on the attached stand. During and after moving my grandmother out, I've researched asbestos a bunch. Come to find out that much of old christmas tree flocking was very much an asbestos product. Worse of all is that it's a loose, or friable kind of asbestos which can easily get into ones lungs, where you really don't want it.
I have the tree still in it's box down my basement, but I've been quite reluctant to even open up the box, as the flocking (at least the flocking on the stand) easily starts to fly around when it moves.
As awesome as a tree it is, a lot of me just want to throw it out and not take any chances. I've thought about seeing if I could get it tested for asbestos, but a preliminary internet search has just come up with asbestos testing firms that seem do do major work for huge builders, school, malls etc.
I was wondering if any one here has advice or thoughts on what to do?

View Profile of seafoamer Send a personal message to seafoamer  Email seafoamer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jetson
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-15 3:25 pm   Permalink

Here's my posting from last year. I'm actually in the middle of setting up our tree, but this year we did a regular fake tree and making it all hawaiian-like.
Quote:

On 2010-01-21 14:07, Jetson wrote:
Ok, so for christmas this year, we didn't go all out but it was still really cool. We put up the silver tree this year, and bought a vintage tree turner and a color wheel. We just decorated it simply with vintage ornaments.

View Profile of Jetson Send a personal message to Jetson  Email Jetson Goto the website of Jetson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomicboomerang

Posted: 2011-11-08 5:26 pm   Permalink

Why go Green for Christmas this year, when you can go Mid-Century-Modern with a great Aluminum Christmas Christmas Tree!

Ok, so I go a bid overboard
But
I Love It!

[ This Message was edited by: atomicboomerang 2011-11-08 17:50 ]

View Profile of atomicboomerang Send a personal message to atomicboomerang  Email atomicboomerang     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation