FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Urban Archeology with BigBro, Sabu & Tangaroa (WARNING: Image heavy! About 4 megs...)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Urban Archeology with BigBro, Sabu & Tangaroa (WARNING: Image heavy! About 4 megs...)
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-03 4:22 pm   Permalink

Hi all - as an early Holiday gift I've decided to share some pix of a little field trip BigBro, Sabu & I took to visit Jim Casey last week.

For those of you who don't know, Jim is a sculptor with an incredibly diverse background. He attended Chouinard Art Institute in the 40s, was a musician & took up carving when he was in the Navy! Due to his friendship with Pacific Ocean Park concept artist Dave Constable, one of his first sculpting jobs had him creating virtually everything (with the exception of the main entrance) at P.O.P. in 1957.

Here he is hacking tikis out of telephone poles...

And the finished result:

I had met Jim before, while doing research on P.O.P. and had found some unique things in his backyard. So I asked BigBro & Sabu if they'd like to play hooky this Wed. and drive out to visit Jim. We all met up at the Del Mar Vista Lanes Coffee Shop for lunch first. Here we are looking at old P.O.P. clippings - (not seen here, Sabu's awe-inspiring, multi binder volumes of Polynesian themed tiki bars & restaurants).

Here's the coffee shops difficult to photograph tiki, standing guard out front:

After lunch, we all piled into BigBro's car and drove to Jim's.... Ja Vol!

BigBro's radio has the coolest logo ever on it:

Anyway - Jim has some pretty neat artifacts from his carving days in his backyard & I knew BigBro & Sabu would be interested.

His backyard has some cool tiki carvings, some of which I know were at P.O.P.

Anyone recognize this guy? No - not Sabu, the guy on the roof...

Here he is after many years exposed to the elements...

Give up? How about this character?

No - not the German Urban Archeologist - the bird?

Yep - Jim carved all the decor for the rarely photographed Aloha Jhoe's (see pages 28 & 29 of The Book Of Tiki)... Here's a couple of vintage photos from Jim's scrapbook.

Here's the bird again, taken from the roof:

Sabu also discovered a rare Witco sword hanging on the side of the garage...

Also out of Jim's scrapbook, he did these cannibal heads that once rested on the top of sticks at the entrance to P.O.P.s Banana Train Ride:

It turns out that Jim did a lot of carving for various restaurants and hotels in the 50s & 60s. Here are some more pages out of his scrapbooks showing tikis for P.O.P. & Steve Crane's Luau...

After our exploration of Jim's backyard, we came back in to talk & look through his "source files" he used back when still sculpting.

Here's BigBro with a nice photo from New Ireland, I believe. When he unfolded it, Jim said, "I haven't looked at that in 40 years!"

Here's Sabu looking through a super-rare 'Cargoes By Carter' catalogue...

And lastly, here's Jim today with some of his sketches for a tiki carving, done in the 60s most likely....

Hope you enjoyed the photos as much as we enjoyed taking them! Thanks again to BigBro & Sabu for playing hooky with me!

Happy Holidays everyone!

[ This Message was edited by: Tangaroa on 2004-12-03 16:56 ]

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-03 4:34 pm   Permalink

WOW!!!
Thanks for sharing this outing. What a trip. You guys had to be in tiki heaven.
happyhappyhappy

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-03 4:35 pm   Permalink

Thanks Tangaroa!
I really enjoyed that.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-03 4:42 pm   Permalink

Fantastic! Bravo!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-03 4:52 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the education.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-12-03 5:59 pm   Permalink

Looks like you guys had a great time, and he sounds like the type of guy who has TONS of interesting stories. Thanks for sharing the pictures of some amazing carvings!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-03 6:25 pm   Permalink

Hey BigBro

Having seen that big Sepik-style Tiki in Aku Hall, which we more or less figured out is from the Luau (it is the one seen in the pic you loaned me for TRT page 78, the one all the way on the left of the pic in the foreground), can you confirm that my Tiki is the same one seen in Jim's scrapbook (in the pictures posted above, it is all the way on the right, seen in profile, on the bottom of the two pics of his scrapbook, the pics with the yellow backgrounds)?

I am very stoked to have (probably) found out who carved my most favorite Tiki treasure!

Thanks for all of the research, fellas!
See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-03 6:31 pm   Permalink

Awesome! Thanks!

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-03 6:34 pm   Permalink

Awesome stuff guys! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-03 6:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-03 18:25, tikibars wrote:
can you confirm that my Tiki is the same one seen in Jim's scrapbook (in the pictures posted above, it is all the way on the right, seen in profile, on the bottom of the two pics of his scrapbook, the pics with the yellow backgrounds)?

Can you post a pic of it? I have hi-rez scans of the portfolio, I could compare them...

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-03 7:58 pm   Permalink

Wow ! What a treat, thanks so much for this great post !

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-03 8:08 pm   Permalink

Much enjoyed and appreciated!

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-03 8:10 pm   Permalink

This may be a little off topic - but what kinda car is Sven driving?

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-03 10:46 pm   Permalink

A 1960 Buick LeSabre. Last year they made it with fins. Great underrated jet design on that car. Known as "Das Boat" among my friends. Had it for 20 years.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-03 10:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-03 18:25, tikibars wrote:
Hey BigBro

Having seen that big Sepik-style Tiki can you confirm that my Tiki is the same one seen in Jim's scrapbook.

I am very stoked to have (probably) found out who carved my most favorite Tiki treasure!

I would say it is likely, since Jim knew and did work for Stephen Crane. The one for the Luau had bird carvings on it's head though. The one in the photo is very clean. But the style is very similar, it makes sense. If we go back, we should have a photo of your baby and show it to Jim and ask him if he carved it.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation