FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki Bar 2005 a Swanky project
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Tiki Bar 2005 a Swanky project
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-10 9:26 pm   Permalink

I am a bit of a perfectionist and I make lots of notes and bulleted lists, etc. Basically, I'll have documents that anyone could use to do the same sort of thing. I might be willing to share. I am working through the business plan and getting the financials all together and making a list of every single thing that must be done and putting it on a sort of timeline. Lots of details that I doubt most of you guys are interested in. But for those that might be, I could maybe share more of that gritty detail. Or maybe I'll just franchise and give all those details for a fee...

I have no real idea how much it's going to take to get it done on my part, but surely it can't be more than it took to get Hukilau done last year. Well, yeah, it could be!

Of course the fun part is acquiring the decor and designing and building it all.

It will not be a very big place. It's hard to support a large space as a bar, unless it's a dance club or something along those lines. So, hosting big TC type parties there won't really be possible. But I do plan to have regular special events that will be of interest to the ohana.

This also means that the Hapa Haole Hideaway will not be rebuilt. My personal collection will become part of the bar. Why have a tiki bar at home when you an owner of one in town?

This is all just a plot to see more of HumuHumu without having to travel myself.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-10 10:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-10 21:26, Swanky wrote:

This is all just a plot to see more of HumuHumu without having to travel myself.

Sounds like a worthy endeavor ! Seriously, I can't wait to see how this turns out! This is close enough to home for me to concieveably plan a vacation around. Great site, Tennessee has alot to offer. Plus it would be great if I could contribute something to the cause -- I would love to take part in some drink menu illustrations (in the simple line-art style of Kahiki or Trader Vic's perhaps?)!
-FB

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2004-12-10 10:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Why have a tiki bar at home when you an owner of one in town?

Because two Tiki bars are better than one.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-10 10:56 pm   Permalink

Congrats Swanky.
We're all behind you on this one!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-10 11:52 pm   Permalink

Speed metal??

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-11 01:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-10 12:07, chisel slinger wrote:
let me know if you need any help. jimmy (exotica arts).

Give me a jingle too... I think some midwest tiki flair would be a good touch... and something different... That Jimmy... he's a talented fellow... my stuff's not bad either...

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-11 06:01 am   Permalink

Swanky,
As long as the playlist doesn't include Rocky Top, I'll be there.

JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-11 06:36 am   Permalink

Great news! I might have to make another road trip.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-11 08:08 am   Permalink

congrats on the bar!! I worked for a co. here in chicago that designs and builds bars/niteclubs so I know what a hassle it can be from start to finish. lots of b.s. along the way but don't let it bother you. I designed the rock-a-tiki in chicago a couple years back, so if you need some decor, there may be a few things left from when it closed that I can set you up with, lamps from o.a. etc. I also design tiki lighting and decor so I can help on that front too. lastly, i recently started producing my goods in china directly, so if you need a source for souveniers for your bar, let me know. anything from necklaces to figurines, etc. from original sculpt/concept to boxed, bagged and delivered product. I don't do mugs at this time...let tikifarm or munktiki help you out on that. I did produce the kahiki tiki necklaces and magnets back in the day that they sold in their gift shop. I made those here in the states....anyway, be glad to help out if you require my services.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-11 09:47 am   Permalink

JTD - The tiki bar is where you escape Rocky Top and Big Orange! And in real sacrilege, we won't even have a TV in the place showing the game!

Tipsy - It sounds like I could use a lot of your help. A gift shop of some sort is definitely part of the plan.

Freak - Sounds good. We will try to use images from vintage menus when possible, and when not, get something in the style.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dimethios
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-11 1:36 pm   Permalink

Congrats, Swanky!

If you do change your mind and decide to serve food. I would love to help you work on the menu. I think you should at least offer some Poly themed Hors d'vours, to soak up the alcohol and keep
'em thirsty.

View Profile of Dimethios Send a personal message to Dimethios      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-11 3:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:
The tiki bar is where you escape Rocky Top and Big Orange! And in real sacrilege, we won't even have a TV in the place showing the game!

Perhaps you can have the game playing quietly on a staticy vintage radio in the back corner. Or better yet, relocate your tiki bar on L.I. I don't have the nuts to open one yet.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-12 09:21 am   Permalink

Tipsy - It sounds like I could use a lot of your help. A gift shop of some sort is definitely part of the plan.

I am in the process of giving my website a complete makeover. but for now you can still see some of my products (there will be more on the new site) it's
www.dskdesigns.com - or email me when your're ready at dskdesigns@earthlink.net.

-thanks!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-12 12:10 pm   Permalink

cant wait, hopefully your grand opening will be on a weekend, id drive down in a heart beat for that......congrats swanky.....

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-14 12:19 am   Permalink

Great to hear your concept and I trust that it will be a classic. If the photos I've seen here on TC of the Hukilau are any indication, you will do it proud for sure.
Now I just went to askjeeves.com and found out that it is 620 miles from KC to Knoxville. So I figure I can make it in 4 hours. (if I drive 155 mph !) Will monitor your progress and hope to share in your opening celebrations.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation