FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki Bar 2005 a Swanky project
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Tiki Bar 2005 a Swanky project
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-14 7:11 pm   Permalink

Hot Diggity Dog, Swanky! Great news! Can't wait to come over the mountains and check it out.

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-14 10:10 pm   Permalink

Swanky, in putting your heart and intent forward to make your dream come true, you are an inspiration to others also are collecting the momentum to actualize their own. Reaching your goal will be very gratifying, no doubt. I hope the path there will be fulfilling as well.

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-15 12:59 pm   Permalink

Congratulations, Swanky!

No TV...wow. You are SO cool.

impressed as all get-out,

tikivixen

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-15 1:49 pm   Permalink

Can't wait to come back to Knoxville now! Best of luck to you Swanky - Hukilau will miss you and so will I. I wish you only the best in this endeavor - only you could make this happen in that city.

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-17 09:59 am   Permalink

After consulting with some non-Tiki people to get feedback on the name, "The Islands" is out. I printed out a list of potential names and passed them around at a party of about 30 the other night and two names emerged as clear favorites:

#1 "The Headhunter Lounge"
#2 "Port o' Call"

Headhunter is also my favorite because it conjures some good images and will be easy to create a theme around. A headhunter mug for example. There is already a favorite drink called the Headhunter. An artist will be able to play off that easily for a logo.

I was a bit happily surprised that the classic "Port o' Call" was also a favorite. Does my heart good.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-17 10:30 am   Permalink

Aloha, Swanky!

Great news here! Can't wait to get out to Knoxville and tipple some delicious tropical cocktails at The Headhunter aka Port o' Call aka Swanky's Joint!

-Weird Unc

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-19 02:31 am   Permalink

Best of luck to you Swanky. Aside from all of the other cool details you mentioned, everyone has to KNOW the music will be right! We'll try to visit when you open up.
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-19 07:50 am   Permalink

Headhunter is also my favorite because it conjures some good images and will be easy to create a theme around. A headhunter mug for example. There is already a favorite drink called the Headhunter. An artist will be able to play off that easily for a logo.

I was a bit happily surprised that the classic "Port o' Call" was also a favorite. Does my heart good.

check out my shrunken head swag lamps on my site. imagine a bunch of those hanging round the headhunter lounge!! (www.dskdesigns.com)

also, the name i submitted to the "name that tiki bar" contest was the "KONA CABANA" -feel free to use that onwe if you like.....
[/quote]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-19 08:28 am   Permalink

Tipsy,
I priced shrunken heads for hanging from rear view mirrors just yesterday as a souvenir or prize. Those look great, but I want a picture of them on in the dark. A better idea of how they look as a lamp. Got any?

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-19 09:59 am   Permalink

Very good news, indeed.
Will it be open by Christmas?!? We're coming up to visit family, and that would sure be fun!
Seriously, I would love to help/take charge of art director duties (menu, logo, etc.) if you need help with that. Good luck on the launching pad!

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-19 4:40 pm   Permalink

KK,
Sounds great. One less thing on my plate, and I know you fully understand the aesthetic I am going for.

Sorry I can't invite you to my home bar even over Christmas, but maybe next year we'll have a Polynesian Rum Egg Nog together in the Headhunter Lounge!

martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-12-19 5:35 pm   Permalink

Congrats Swanky on the 40000th post in the Main Discussion Area!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilicious
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-21 07:24 am   Permalink

The concept of the tiki bar museum is spectacular! Congratulations and I wish you all the best! Let us know when it opens, because I will hop on a plane at the Ft Lauderdale airport and be one of the first ones there.

good luck to you!

Lenore

View Profile of Tikilicious Send a personal message to Tikilicious  Email Tikilicious Goto the website of Tikilicious     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-21 12:54 pm   Permalink

I'm a bit bummed. I contacted the City liquor board today and found out the requirements for a license. It squashes my ideas. It may well end the entire enterprise. Requirements:

Table seating for at least 75
You must serve at least one meal a day, five days a week.
You must have the kitchen to prepare said meals.

I was planning on not serving food so that it cuts down on cost and headaches. It also makes start-up a lot cheaper and just plain 1000 times easier. Food means a menu, staff, yadda yadda yadda. A million headaches.

So, I wil either have to see if the county is any easier to comply with and look for a location outside the city, which makes life harder, or, get with a lawyer and see if there is a way around the legal definition of "meal" and this whole seating thing and if trying such a thing would work, OR, change the entire business plan to be a restaurant and bar...

Life just got tougher, and the plans for a tiki bar in Knoxville, dimmer.

Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-21 3:55 pm   Permalink

Definately consult a lawyer before making any decisions. Something doesn't smell quite right in Knoxville.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation