FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki Bar 2005 a Swanky project
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Tiki Bar 2005 a Swanky project
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-21 6:51 pm   Permalink

Well, I suppose you might find a partner that wants to run a restaurant that would fit with your theme. If you had connected spaces under the same roof and business, the restaurant could provide the seating and food to meet the liquor license requirement allowing you to just run the adjacent bar.

Damn, if I was livin' in Knoxville I'd talk to ya myself. New pacific rim cuisine with a tropical touch would be a fun enterprise with a tiki bar next door!

Or you could offer breakfast from 6-9 am. Depending upon your location, you may never see one customer.

Seating for 75? That's 12+ six tops. WTF is going on in Knoxville? Do all bars have 20 four seat tables in 'em? That'd just be weird.

Hang in there.

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-21 7:17 pm   Permalink

I think a lawyer is going to be visited tomorrow. I know of one bar in town (my favorite) that does not have a kitchen of seating for 75. They offer a menu from a place down the block. Something is up. But it'll get worked out. Moving out of the city is not an option. The rules still basically apply.

So now maybe it's "The Luau" and "The Headhunter Lounge" inside...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-12 07:49 am   Permalink

Just a little update. Things a re a bit slow since I found I need to have a restaurant to have a bar. I started out thinking of just doing the minimum to pass the legal definition of "serving" food and really just be a bar, but, I think that's financially bad. The space required would be hard to support that way.

So I have been looking for a good partner on that side. I have met a guy locally who was a regional manager for Applebee's and others who are willing to help.

I am not sure if I have the investors I had before it was a restaurant. I'll know more when the business plan is complete and the final numbers are on paper.

I am working on a new change to the basic tiki museum plan that will incorporate booths themed after other things besides places like Mai Kai and Kahiki. It started with the realization that I had a lot of Hukilau stuff already that would make a good booth. More on that later.

I am working on the logo. I will need the artwork early on to make any presentations to investors look better. I have begun creating the website and a sample drink menu. The website isn't done enough to share yet, but I got a chunk done this week.

I found a source for large puffer fish and am putting in an order for a dozen or so. Shipping is harsh. Like shipping beach balls. No weight, but huge. So I worked out a deal at my job to have them put on a pallet and trucked in at about half or 1/3 what it would be through UPS. I intend to make them all into lamps and sell a few through Ebay (with notice here) to recoup some of the costs.

I am working on a signature mug with Saint Thomas. He's been busy and we are supposed to get together maybe next week. I already was working on the design before the bar, and so we will simply put a logo on the mug for the bar. I will sell the mug before the bar without the logo as planned. But you can only get the Headhunter Lounge version at the bar. I am also going to have him make a batch of his Volcano mugs for one, and work on larger versions for 2 and 4, as well as other designs.

After sitting around discussing what makes for a perfect bar design with a fellow drinking buddy one night, we agreed on everything and flet that a curved or "L" shaped bar was best. You want to be able to see others at the bar, but not face them as in a square or rectangle. With that in mind, I have decided to make the bar shaped like the prow of a ship. A curved, angled thing. A nice maiden head on the prow maybe, mast, port and starboard lights, etc.

I talked to Wayne Coombs at the Hawaiian Inn about helping with the sign, and he said "oh, we're going to do more than that for you!" He has done a lot of large 3D stuff in the area. Dinosaurs, 12 foot sharks, etc. I know he can handle my homage to the Aku Aku sign. We'll see what else he comes up with.

It's really tough when I talk to friends and family and they say things like "you have to do this in the theater over there. Those high ceilings, just think!" And of course I have thought. That would freakin rule! I could do a whole Kahiki village scene in there! But could I pay the rent? No. I doubt it. But then again, they made it there before with just a few regualr latin dance nights, and no regular night crowd. And I could do valet parking under the awning out front like Mai Kai... STOP! These people are killing me! 3,000 square feet, not 10,000...

I may have the site ready to look at soon.

I am going to go ahead and ask for submissions. If you have tiki postcards scanned already at 300dpi or so, I would love for you to send them to me so I can print them out for use in the bar. I have the Mai Kai pretty well covered, but everywhere else, I have little. Postcards are the one thing I can "fake" by printing on heavy stock matte paper. Send them to
swanky@theheadhunterlounge.com for more mana in your life! I also need images of drinks form vintage menus. I have Kahiki and Trader Vics. Color please and named so I know what they are. Anything you can do is great. 300dpi.

More as I think it's worht saying.

Mahalo.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-12 08:04 am   Permalink

best of luck to you...you'll do it, and you'll do it nice

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-12 12:59 pm   Permalink

Hi Swanky,

I don't have any postcards, but if any of my prints will fit in with the decor, let me know.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-25 2:30 pm   Permalink

Connecting with various sources for "stuff" I will need. I met with Saint Thomas yesterday and we hope to have the "Headhunter" mug ready to sell at Oasis as a small advance chance. Later it will have the logo on it and only be available through the bar. He is also going to do a batch of the Volcano mugs for one, and larger versions for 2 and 4. We'll come up with something extra cool and flaming for sure! He also can put the logos on my plates and stuff for me which is great.

I have asked Hoffa to design a logo and other artwork for me. He does not check his email very often I think and didn't give me his new number, so if any of you know how to get hold of him in his new Lauderdale locale, let me know!

I am hoping to secure some great vintage tiki bar items in the coming months, but can't breathe a word lest I spoil it.

The website in progress is
www.theheadhunterlounge.com I am just sharing with you guys. It is far from where I want it. Just somehting I slapped together in an hour or two. So don't link to it or anything.

johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-25 5:56 pm   Permalink

Hope Frank's contribution to the place make it a real hit with the tiki "inner-circle."

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ This Message was edited by: johntiki on 2005-03-05 20:06 ]

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-25 6:08 pm   Permalink

Why do I sem to like your new website so much, I Wonder? I really think it looks great and can't wait to watch the Headhunter Lounge un fold.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-02-26 12:23 am   Permalink

I read through you website and I can't help but think that the word "museum" conjures up images of dust and cobwebs. Perhaps it can be replaced or dropped in certain places?

On the home page maybe "Polynesian Oasis Museum" could be replaced with just "Polynesian Oasis".

On the history page maybe "The Headhunter Lounge is a museum" could be replaced with "The Headhunter Lounge is a celebration of all things Tiki" or something to that effect.

I just feel that the word "Museum" means a dead snapshot in time and doesn't allow itself to move forward in a lively manner.

Just my drunken one cent...

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-26 07:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-26 00:23, Hakalugi wrote:
I read through you website and I can't help but think that the word "museum" conjures up images of dust and cobwebs. Perhaps it can be replaced or dropped in certain places?

On the home page maybe "Polynesian Oasis Museum" could be replaced with just "Polynesian Oasis".

On the history page maybe "The Headhunter Lounge is a museum" could be replaced with "The Headhunter Lounge is a celebration of all things Tiki" or something to that effect.

I just feel that the word "Museum" means a dead snapshot in time and doesn't allow itself to move forward in a lively manner.

Just my drunken one cent...

That's a good thought. The "museum" aspect is really for you guys, the tikiphiles. Perhaps "gallery" has a better ring to it. I do plan to have works by current artists as well as the historica pieces.

Thanks for your input. That's exactly the sort of criticism I love. Tell me what you don't like, why and suggest a solution. I wish I could get my boss to do that!

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-26 08:32 am   Permalink

Well, since you asked, I don't particularly like the fact that it is in Knoxville, and I think Port Saint Lucie would be a Much more convenient place to build it. Just a thought.
However, I do have a sister living in Chatanooga, does this mean I need to go visit her??

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-26 2:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-26 08:32, Benzart wrote:
Well, since you asked, I don't particularly like the fact that it is in Knoxville, and I think Port Saint Lucie would be a Much more convenient place to build it. Just a thought.
However, I do have a sister living in Chatanooga, does this mean I need to go visit her??

Absolutely. I'll help you pick a good date for that later this year I hope!

docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-26 2:33 pm   Permalink

I want to hear about your food menu!Any ideas,yet?

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-26 3:36 pm   Permalink

I have a vintage Hawaii recipe book put out by the Rotary club that we have been going through. Pablus has given me some ideas. I do not have a definite menu though. It depends a lot on how big the kitchen is and the overall scheme for the menu and preparation. Anyonee know a source for Breadfruit here in TN?

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-27 5:00 pm   Permalink

Did you know there are 20 "Superior" varieties of breadfruit that are widely grown in the pacific Ilands? The Carribbean islands supply most of the eastern US. Here is a Great website. http://www.breadfruit.org/collection/superior.php
A supply: http://www.cordiallyyours.net/african_american_asian_caribbean_shopping/item2803.htm
I didn't know much about breadfruit so I searched google. There is more info than I wanted to know but not many suppliers. The Jamaican suppliers should have it as most of the us product comes from there.
Good luck. It sounds delicious.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation