FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events December 31 2004
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
December 31 2004
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-19 3:38 pm   Permalink

I am starting to get my holiday schedule together.
I will be here for New Years if it solidifies.
Any news yet?

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-19 3:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-19 15:38, Unga Bunga wrote:
I am starting to get my holiday schedule together.
I will be here for New Years if it solidifies.
Any news yet?

This is my suggestion. Assume that there will be NO entertainment and NO special room rates. Then see if people still want to go and party in someones room after the bar closes (or earlier in case they are playing horrible music in the bar). If people can all agree on just converging with no official event happening, then it might work out.
No one seems to be stepping up to the plate saying
"(insert name here) am going to produce this event and work with the management and we will have everyone's favorite band (insert name here) play three sets during the evening in the Reef bar". Until that happens, I don't think a "real" event is going to happen.
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-10-19 4:00 pm   Permalink

Bruce, I think you have just the personality for this job, and all of TC would be SO grateful...!

(I would volunteer, but I'm not sure yet if I can go)

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-19 4:14 pm   Permalink

If it's going to happen at all (at the Caliente, that is), it'll likely have to be casual -- all of us just booking rooms there and hanging out in the Reef Bar together that night, and in one of our rooms afterward. We've done that at other hotels before (Humphrey's Half Moon Inn) without any problem.

Casey was the one at the Caliente who wanted to see events happening there, and the current management is simply unmotivated to make anything happen (according to Otto, this is why we've not heard yet about Oasis -- he's trying to get things rolling, and the hotel is poky, poky, poky).

If we want to try to do something more organized, in concert with hotel management, we'll probably want to choose another hotel. Anyone know of a cool one in the Southern California area that might be a little more interested in having us?

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-10-19 4:36 pm   Permalink

Good idea Humuhumu. Maybe we should do New Years at Humphrey's Half Moon Inn. It's a little pricey, but they have a huge suite with large balconies (or patios) that sleeps up to 8 (2 queen beds and 2 sofa sleepers) for $459/night, which comes out to only $57.50/night/person with 8 people. Regular rooms are $169-189/night and suites that sleep up to 6 are $309-339/night. These rates are for Sat. 12/31 to Mon. 1/2 (2 night minimum).

I checked on the Tropics web site and it says "no rooms available".

I may be in SD for New Years anyway

Christ on a crutch!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-19 4:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-19 16:00, dangergirl299 wrote:
Bruce, I think you have just the personality for this job, and all of TC would be SO grateful...!

(I would volunteer, but I'm not sure yet if I can go)

I'm not sure what my plans are either, plus I'm so busy theses days with my new selling space in San Francisco (Drugstore Vintage Deco and More open 12-7 daily 3149 Mission St near Army/Cesar Chavez).

I think the Caliente site might have a glitch. Rooms are available on both Orbitz and Sidestep for $86.00 each night. ( I checked Friday and Sat night)

reg rooms at Humphreys are $ 149.00 a night on Sidestep.com

[ This Message was edited by: mrsmiley 2005-10-19 17:02 ]

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299

Posted: 2005-10-19 5:04 pm   Permalink

oh come on Bruce - you can do EET!

Tiki central NEEDS you!

we are floundering in our new years plans...

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-10-19 5:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-19 16:36, thejab wrote:

Christ on a crutch!

uh-oh.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-19 5:57 pm   Permalink

?!? (confused cat noise)

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-20 06:39 am   Permalink

I like Jabbo's idea. With Bali Hai across the street, New Year's at Humphrey's could turn out to be a swell time.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-20 07:41 am   Permalink

I emailed the management at the Caliente Tropics this morning and indicated we were interested in a group rate for new years. I told him that the dates would most likely be Friday (12/30) and Saturday (12/31).

My email explained that there could be 30-40 of us.

He replied stating that if I could guarantee 30-40 ROOMS being filled then he would honor the $86 rate for everyone.

I think that 30 people would not be a problem but 30 ROOMS might be a stretch.

With the exception of the rate that Smiley found, just about everything else I have seen for the CT on those dates is in the range of $139 to $169.

Humphreys could be fun too. I have never stayed there. Is the property layed out in a fashion where room parties would be tolerated? Are we able to find eachother easily at Humphreys or is everyone isolated in their rooms?

Im up for the occassion. Had a great time last year.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-20 07:54 am   Permalink

I have just finished sending the same correspondence to the Humphreys Half Moon Inn.

In addition to asking for the best group rate possible, I have also inquired about the potential for chartering a boat that could take us all to Downtown San Diego one evening so that we could visit Mr. Tiki.

I will let you know their response.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-20 07:59 am   Permalink

Just emailed the Bali Hai asking about New Years offerings and South Pacific Room availability. I will let you know what they say.

I will contact Mr. Tiki Next

mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-20 09:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-20 07:54, Monkeyman wrote:
I have just finished sending the same correspondence to the Humphreys Half Moon Inn.

In addition to asking for the best group rate possible, I have also inquired about the potential for chartering a boat that could take us all to Downtown San Diego one evening so that we could visit Mr. Tiki.

I will let you know their response.

you ROCK!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-20 10:01 am   Permalink

Thanks for taking the helm Monk!
Look forward to some good news.
I also like the Humphrey's idea.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation