FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events December 31 2004
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
December 31 2004
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-12-29 2:00 pm   Permalink

Since Banducci's is gone, are there any other good/interesting places in or near Palm Springs?
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2004-12-29 2:04 pm   Permalink

Since Banducci's is closed, you may want to check out the classic (as in 1970s classic!) piano bar at the Ingleside Inn (called the Casablanca bar).

More info:
http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=377&forum=4&vpost=2514

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CaseyJPS
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-29 2:34 pm   Permalink

Lyons' English Grille, one block from the Resort, is an iconic holdover from the 60s, with piano in the bar.

Casablanca will be considerably busy, very hoity toidy, and pricey. It is not a large venue. I believe you will probably have to valet park as well.

I really want to stress that you need to make a detour, or a stop, at The Parker. It is a finite interpretation of 60s and 70s decor. It is still "in progress" but is worth even a ten minute stop. Mr. Parker's bar and restaurant will open 12/31 and the lobby bar (retro 70s) is now open. The lobby lounge is very cool (with a circular fire pit/fireplace, and you'll think you're in Auntie Mame's house (during her avante garde period) when you enter the lobby.

If you need any more ideas, just ask (we live here).

View Profile of CaseyJPS Send a personal message to CaseyJPS  Email CaseyJPS Goto the website of CaseyJPS     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2004-12-29 2:36 pm   Permalink

Old restaurants are rare as hen's teeth in Palm Springs. The Lord Fletcher is 38 years old and decorated in olde english atmosphere. Good prime rib and not super expensive. It's in Rancho Mirage.

http://www.desertdiningguide.com/restaurants/lordfletcher/index.html

Lyon's is a similar theme but "recently redecorated". Ugh.

http://www.desertdiningguide.com/restaurants/lyons/index.html

Try Las Casuelas for Mexican food, but go to the original location if you can at 368 N Palm Canyon Dr (there are 3 or 4 locations). Try the Chile Rellenos or the Camarones Diablo.

Another good Mexican place is El Gallito in Cathedral City. Recommended by Jane and Michael Stern. I remember having great carnitas there that I think are only served on Thursdays.

http://roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=454

And try and see Shield's Date Gardens in Indio if you have time.

http://roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=394

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2004-12-29 2:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-29 14:34, CaseyJPS wrote:
Casablanca will be considerably busy, very hoity toidy, and pricey. It is not a large venue. I believe you will probably have to valet park as well.

I just walked there from downtown to avoid valet parking. It is pricey and somewhat hoity toity but the lounge singer / piano player was worth it (this was about 5 years ago though so things may have changed).

Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-29 3:55 pm   Permalink

I'm planning on bringing a LARGE batch of kaluha pork, mac salad & rice for plate lunch on Saturday. I'll set it up on the patio of the Reef.
Aloha!

edit for spelling

[ This Message was edited by: moki on 2004-12-29 21:27 ]

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2004-12-29 5:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-29 14:34, CaseyJPS wrote:

I really want to stress that you need to make a detour, or a stop, at The Parker. It is a finite interpretation of 60s and 70s decor. It is still "in progress" but is worth even a ten minute stop. Mr. Parker's bar and restaurant will open 12/31 and the lobby bar (retro 70s) is now open. The lobby lounge is very cool (with a circular fire pit/fireplace, and you'll think you're in Auntie Mame's house (during her avante garde period) when you enter the lobby.

If you need any more ideas, just ask (we live here).

Thanks, Casey---Is this the Parker you are speaking of?
Le Parker Meridien Palm Spring

Address: 4200 E Palm Canyon Dr, Palm Springs, CA 92264
Phone: 760-770-5000
--Smiley
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho

Posted: 2004-12-29 5:30 pm   Permalink

OK, I am booked for Friday and Saturday. This should be fun, but I guess it means that I won't be going to Purple Orchid.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-29 5:32 pm   Permalink

I'm in for Friday & Saturday, for all the reasons mentioned above. Yay for not driving around drunk people on NYE! This is going to be incredibly fun.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-30 5:13 pm   Permalink

OH MY GOD I AM SO EFFING EXCITED FOR THIS WEEKEND!

I just picked up a bunch of party hats & noisemakers, and some decoratin' stuff. Not sure what'll get decorated yet, but I'm armed & ready.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2004-12-30 5:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-30 17:13, Humuhumu wrote:
OH MY GOD I AM SO EFFING EXCITED FOR THIS WEEKEND!

I just picked up a bunch of party hats & noisemakers, and some decoratin' stuff. Not sure what'll get decorated yet, but I'm armed & ready.

I went to the janitorial supply store and got party hats, too!

CaseyJPS
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-30 5:54 pm   Permalink

Yes, that would be the Parker Palm Springs, MrSmiley.

[ This Message was edited by: CaseyJPS on 2004-12-30 17:55 ]

View Profile of CaseyJPS Send a personal message to CaseyJPS  Email CaseyJPS Goto the website of CaseyJPS     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CaseyJPS
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-30 5:56 pm   Permalink

THE MAIKAI GENTS will be performing on Friday and Saturday in The REEF (in an abbreviated format) !

mrsmiley

Posted: 2004-12-30 6:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-30 17:56, CaseyJPS wrote:
THE MAIKAI GENTS will be performing on Friday and Saturday in The REEF (in an abbreviated format) !

The "Mysterious Mauna Loa " isn't able to perform so "Mr 'In-Your-Face' Smiley" will fill in instead.

Iuka Grogg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-30 7:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-30 18:02, mrsmiley wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-12-30 17:56, CaseyJPS wrote:

The "Mysterious Mauna Loa " isn't able to perform so "Mr 'In-Your-Face' Smiley" will fill in instead.

If Mr. Smiley's in his grass skirt and coconut bra... I implore you all to KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE HANDS! See you all at The Reef. And, by the way, The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa may need a break now and then, so get ready Mr. Smiley!

-I. Grogg

View Profile of Iuka Grogg Send a personal message to Iuka Grogg  Email Iuka Grogg Goto the website of Iuka Grogg     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation