FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carving Lesson Using Hook Blade** Sharpening 101**
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Carving Lesson Using Hook Blade** Sharpening 101**
Tiki G.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-03 9:32 pm   Permalink

Ben, you're awesome. Thanks for all your help. We all appreciate it. Hope you are doing well.

G.

View Profile of Tiki G. Send a personal message to Tiki G.  Email Tiki G. Goto the website of Tiki G.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atsinroc

Posted: 2005-12-16 4:41 pm   Permalink

As mentioned B4.... you are the MAN!!! Got mad skills. Love the detail on the pipe and sand paper grit assembly. Ingenious! (why could'nt I think of that?)
I learned so much from you! I credit all my 5 inspired carvings to you. I've already enrolled for the next online tutorial. Did you get my registratiion? lol.
Happy Holidays all.

ed

View Profile of atsinroc Send a personal message to atsinroc  Email atsinroc     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kaha ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-16 4:55 pm   Permalink

Aloha Ben! Great stuff bruddah! Im sure its going to help a lot of people! And, you explained it perfectly!

Keep up the amazing work brah!

Malama Pono!

View Profile of kaha ki'i Send a personal message to kaha ki'i  Email kaha ki'i Goto the website of kaha ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-29 09:42 am   Permalink

bump

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-29 5:41 pm   Permalink

I was fortunate to see this sharpening process in person at Coontiki and it is fantastic. In case this isn't mentioned elsewhere in the thread, here is something I learned about the sandpaper that really helped me assemble the necessary grits for the proper Benzart sharpening system. The hardware store will carry lots of sandpapers but if yours doesn't have the really high number grits, check your auto parts store because they will have it in the body repair products section. I found packs of 5 half sheets for $3.49 I probably wouldn't have known to look there if I hadn't heard it mentioned at the seminar. So lets get sharp everyone!

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-08 6:45 pm   Permalink

bump

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IsleConch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-08 10:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-13 14:01, Benzart wrote:
Here's a bit more detail than I gave in Raffertikis post and rather than take over his post I'm starting a new one.
Same tiki, 3 1/2" tall shaped like a bongo drum and sliced in half.
I first drew a center line and a few 90 degree lines for refrence points then drew in all the lines on both sides.

Starting at the top, cut a "V" line for the brow lines and the same all the way down past the mouth

Then start shaping the teeth section shaving a little off at a time until you have the basic shape

Then begin to shape the tongue

Then I shaped the teeth more, lowering them to Below the tongue line so the tongue sticks out more.

Thenshape the teeth some more and define each tooth, being careful to cut Away from the tongue, as it is fragile at this point and a wayward slash would severly ruin it.
Then I went back up to the eyes and cut deeply into each corner of the eye on all 4 sides. Then removed each corner area to define the beginning of the eyeball.

Then continue cutting off the corners until the eyeball is round, then cutting off the top of the ball to identify the pupil.

Then begin cleaning up the detail and depening the mouth and eyes. You will see where it needs to be cleaned and shaped.

Somewhere a nose popped up. Now this is ALL done with the hook knife. once you get ti to this point you can sand it to your liking. I use small fingernail emory boards from the local drug store. you can cut them in half longways to get a thin stiff strip and you can wrap it with finer grit sandpaper if you like. of course I use plain sand paper, sand paper sponges and drums on the Foredom or Dremel.
This concludes this portion of lesson 1.

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart 2005-12-03 19:09 ]

View Profile of IsleConch Send a personal message to IsleConch  Email IsleConch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation