FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki So whats the most u paid for a mug?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
So whats the most u paid for a mug?
hula hula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-06 10:50 pm   Permalink

As of now I havent spent more then $30( Not including the $150 for the New Shag set, but I feel thats a whole different thing)or so, but im venturing into the $100+ mark at the moment. Im wondering if this is getting out of hand.

View Profile of hula hula Send a personal message to hula hula  Email hula hula Goto the website of hula hula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-06 11:00 pm   Permalink

$30.00. I've got about 150 mugs and bowls. I've bid higher, didn't win though. I only have a handful of "rare" mugs.
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thecardcheat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-10-07 02:36 am   Permalink

about $30 also. before ebay, $30 seemed like it was getting out of hand.

View Profile of thecardcheat Send a personal message to thecardcheat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-07 03:07 am   Permalink

$27, also having $30 as being the max I'll pay.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-07 05:15 am   Permalink

That's very interesting, cause 30 is my max too. I wonder how we all arrived at this arbitrary number?

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-07 08:58 am   Permalink

In mugs we usually only buy what we come across in antique stores and thrift stores and rarely, if ever, pay more than $10 for a mug.

But in other things... I paid about $100 for this tiki a couple of years ago. (Now Kiliki knows what her Christmas present cost.)

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMikey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-07 10:37 am   Permalink

I think about $36 - $37 for one of the Munktikis that was very close to retirement. That excludes the Shag 2nd set, but that's a better investment than most mutual funds now.

View Profile of TikiMikey Send a personal message to TikiMikey  Email TikiMikey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-07 11:51 am   Permalink

I actually broke down & paid $50 for one of those Kahiki hoffman mugs. I had BIG stars in my eyes.
$50 is my absolute limit for a super rare item.
Here are a few examples that I would "go there" on:
I put in a whopping $34 & got outbid on this super cool mug over the weekend:
Looks like the one in the old Islander Stockton menu that you NEVER see! I really thopught this one would BLOW UP!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=719299346&rd=1
(looks like they took the pic down, rats! i think I saved a copy, I will put it up on the tiki mug database)
here ya go:
http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/unmarked?&page=4

I will be needing one of these to wipe away madtiki's tears:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=717454731

I like this one too:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=719318343&rd=1

These also blew me away:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2134986664

[ This Message was edited by: bigbadtikidaddy on 2002-10-07 11:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: bigbadtikidaddy on 2002-10-07 11:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: bigbadtikidaddy on 2002-10-07 12:06 ]

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the75stingray
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-07 1:36 pm   Permalink

What do you know, great minds DO think alike.

I think the max I ever spent was on ebay and it was a Trader Vic Amber Stem mug for $30.
I also gave $25 to an old lady who had a Stephen Crane Luau mug (with the tounge sticking out) when she was asking $15. I would have given here $30 if I would have had it.

Now, I would spend $50 on a Hoffman Kahiki, but I would have to have some excess cash to justify it to my wife.

In reality, I think $30 for a rarity to a collection is a fair price. I'm reluctant to spend much more. I'd rather hear / have stories of the $1.00 flea market or thrift store finds.

Excellent topic and a plesant (normal) change to what we have been recently posting and reading.
Thank you.

-C.

View Profile of the75stingray Send a personal message to the75stingray      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-07 2:02 pm   Permalink

Well, call me cheap but I never try to spend more than $20.00 - even for the 'rare' ones because you know what? Even the rare ones come along again, and again, and again. Believe it or not, I've been able to pick up a 'rare' mug for cheap. I either get lucky because it was listed obscurely (as a 'teeki cup'), or nobody really knew what it was. Case in point: I was actually able to pick up a brown Islander skull mug for only $9.95 with no other bidders. Why? Don't know, Don't care - It's mine!

However, to answer the question, the most I ever spent on a mug was $38.00 and to this day I still think I overdid it.

Still trying to understand how a Tiki Bob's mug can sell for $50-$80 every time its listed and there's at least 3 listed per week and Hawaii Kai Green Ku mug sometimes closes with no bidders and is listed maybe 1 a month at most.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-07 2:04 pm   Permalink

Wow, the Tiki Central $30 max -factor is amazing....(Watch out, though, now everyone will go to $30.50!)

My $27 mug was the green Mark Thomas Outrigger mug, by the way.

Don't suppose anyone has a Tiki Bob they'd like to sell? I'd go up to......$30!

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-10-07 2:29 pm   Permalink

I paid around $30 for my volcano bowl. That's the highest I've gone. I guess the next highest was $20 for a suffering bastard decanter. Never paid more than $15 for any mug (the $15 was for a skull mug).

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lance Samason
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-10-07 3:06 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Lance Samason 2007-07-06 15:17 ]

View Profile of Lance Samason Send a personal message to Lance Samason  Goto the website of Lance Samason     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-07 4:18 pm   Permalink

>>This one thrift store will collect a box full of tiki items for me, and depending on the size/amount Ill give them $15 - $20 for the set.<<

Whoa, that's pretty scary to hear.
I mean good for you, bad for others.
I thrift 3-5 days a week & grab most of my stuff that way, but if I heard of something like that happening in any stores on my beat, I'd be pissed.
I think it's against the unwritten thrift code or something.
But then again, I guess I've got a few hunting tricks that arent always entirely "ethical".

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-07 4:18 pm   Permalink

oops, hit it twice

[ This Message was edited by: bigbadtikidaddy on 2002-10-07 16:19 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation