FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Swanky's music shares on Swank Pad: update
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Swanky's music shares on Swank Pad: update
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-01 5:33 pm   Permalink

Thanks Swanky! Is Sam Makia a haole? Some of the pronunciation makes me wonder. Nice stuff. Mahalo.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-01 6:30 pm   Permalink

Sam Makia isn't the singer on any of the songs. He was the houuse band leader at the Hawaiian Room in NYC I think for a long time. The other records of his I have are instrumentals.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-06 2:26 pm   Permalink

Swanky, how are you doing on receiving donations? You got my contribution last month. I'm just wondering on the frequency you may need from frequent downloaders like me.

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-23 08:55 am   Permalink

Carl Howard (You MUST Space Patrol!) pointed out that some of the songs on the iste are ripped at very low quality. My error. I have redone them all and they are all now top quality. So, if you previously downloaded these tracks (except the extras) do so again for minty fresh quality!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seamus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-24 11:25 am   Permalink

Hey Swanky, your Hukilau page won't load for me. Is it just me, or is the site down? The Swank Pad site won't load as well.

Thanks again for the great downloads.

TikisbySeamus.com

[ This Message was edited by: seamus on 2005-03-24 14:30 ]

View Profile of seamus Send a personal message to seamus  Email seamus Goto the website of seamus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-24 1:37 pm   Permalink

Everything is fine. Maybe a local issue on your end. Server has been up and running with only seconds of down time for months.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-03 11:05 am   Permalink

Aloha TC!
My music share has gone poo-poo-ly (crazy). That site is linked all over the place and it's doing a Gig a day in downloads. Too much. And the donations are few and far between. They don't balance it out. So....
I started this really for the ohana. From now on, there will be two pages, public and ohana. The public page will have a much lower quality set of songs and hopefully it will allow me to stay out of trouble with my ISP. I will post the high quality songs page here for you guys.
Please do not link to this page at all. It's just for the TC ohana. If it gets put out on the web, it'll just have to be removed completely.
The only way to get to the high quality share is at:

www.hukilau.org/songs/ohana.htm

Mahalo!

congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-04 5:53 pm   Permalink

Swanky....another fine one...mucho mahalo...
will send donation soon...

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-04 6:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-03 11:05, Swanky wrote:
Aloha TC!
My music share has gone poo-poo-ly (crazy).

Tell me about it brah. I'm up there between 100-200GB a month....

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
trustar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-05 5:54 pm   Permalink

Swankster

Your note made me realize that I have still not gotten off of my cyber-ass to send in my donation for all of the great tunes you have made avaliable to us here at TC. PayPal is such a wonderfull thing! Keep it up, we do appreciate it all.

Trustar

View Profile of trustar Send a personal message to trustar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-08 5:28 pm   Permalink

Very sorry to hear you have not been receiving enough financial help. Just shameful that we could all lose the whole thing because of lack of consideration by some freeloaders.

Do you still need to acheive that extra $25 a month or is it higher now? This month's donation is already sent.

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-08 5:46 pm   Permalink

$25 a month will cover it. I'll keep it as is for now. I may chaneg it so that those linking to the site will have to navigate through other sites to get to the songs. We'll see how it comes out at the end of the month. I am already over limit for this month.

Kahiki-Dude

Posted: 2005-05-08 4:36 pm   Permalink

The site has been shut down, something posted about the digital copyright laws. Too bad, was looking forward to some new music.

View Profile of Kahiki-Dude Send a personal message to Kahiki-Dude      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-08 6:38 pm   Permalink

It's still unclear what has happened. If you know my views on it, you know I think it's a load of crap. Go to my site www.swankpad.org and at the bottom there is a link to the blog and what I think of the music industry. BUT...

My site is on a very good friend of mine's server. His upstream provider apparently got a notice from the RIAA or someone. Just the threat of it is enough to pull the plug. His provider could shut down his entire server over this. They could stop all his business. And, for that matter, the RIAA could shut down his provider. All that means, out of total fear of the swift actions the RIAA has gotten through the DMCA, we had to pull the plug. Regardless of whether we are right or wrong. Before anyone could try to prove anything, the business would be shut down.

What's truly odd is that the email came from his provider. The IP address the email came from was theirs. When he called to find out what the complaint was or who it was from, noone said they sent the warning email. So, we are not clear if there actually was one. But, you have to be safe rather than sorry when it's your business.

They are thugs.

But I think their time is short. The music industry is going to go under. I hope it's very soon. I hope a business replaces it that is run ethically and with a real business plan, not a monopolistic abusive plan.

In my opinion, I am doing the same sort of service FM radio does. I am getting their music out there. I am spreading interest in music that is collecting dust out there for them. And maybe there is enough call for a re-issue and they can sell it again and we can get a nice copy of this 40-60 year old music. Clearly, they are not selling George Cates Polynesian Percussion any more. There are no sales to hurt!

I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-08 9:02 pm   Permalink

Swanky, I'm sorry to see that a decision was made for you regarding the future (past, now?) of the downloads. Thank you again for your generousity. The fortunate lot of us got to learn about some really great music. I hope we supported you enough while it going.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation