FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » Tiki Archeology-The Tikis-Monterey Park,CA
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki Archeology-The Tikis-Monterey Park,CA
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2005-01-18 8:49 pm   Permalink

I have had this lp for a few years. Thought it was just a cha-cha record with a cool cover (From Hollywood To Acapulco a musical tour of glamourous places). Turnes out that side 2 is kind of exotic (cool version of Hawaiian Eye). The best part was something I had not noticed before...

Photography-Newcomb Studio-Pasadena

Cover Location- The Tiki's- San Gabriel- Calif.

Enjoy!

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-18 8:57 pm   Permalink

You are instantly even cooler than you were five minutes ago.

Any chance of a more detailed photo/scan of this?

I posted a couple of 3D photos of a mug from The Tikis a week or so ago, by the way, under "Tiki Anaglyphs" or something...

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cherry Capri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-19 04:27 am   Permalink

My painting based on the vintage matchbook of The Tikis is still available at the Shooting Galley in S.F. (it was in the back room of Otto's Tiki Art now Show...)

[ This Message was edited by: Cherry Capri on 2005-01-19 04:28 ]

View Profile of Cherry Capri Send a personal message to Cherry Capri  Goto the website of Cherry Capri     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-19 9:48 pm   Permalink

That's a very cool painting, too.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-20 11:17 am   Permalink

The place is still there...sort of. Its now a paintball park. Not sure how much tiki is still there though.

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2005-01-20 11:28 am   Permalink

Thanks for posting that, Bongofury. Now I've got to find myself a copy of that album - for archeological purposes, you understand. Is the music any good?

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-01-20 12:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-20 11:17, Digitiki wrote:
The place is still there...sort of. Its now a paintball park. Not sure how much tiki is still there though.

??? I thought the paintball park was in the Lake Elsinore location of The Tikis (the new location of The Tikis which was never completed).

Does anyone here know the name of the paintball park?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-01-20 12:25 pm   Permalink

Just found it:

It's called Jungle Island. One of their play fields is called Volcanos. It has caverns, waterfalls, caves, and uh volcanos. Here's a picture of part of it:

More info here:
http://www.jungle-island.com/index2.asp

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2005-01-20 7:09 pm   Permalink

Side 1 is latin-cha cha, which I like. Side 2 is better. Flutes, violins, bongos, and vibes with a latin beat. Hawaiian Eye, Adventures in Paradise, Mr. Lucky (Mancini), Theme From The Apartment, etc.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-01-20 8:10 pm   Permalink

I have that record too, and I remember listening to it to decide whether or not to record it digitally. I wanted to like the music, but the verdict was no, since it sounded kinda flat overall to me. Nice cover though, and thanks for posting that fact about its location Bongofury. Maybe it's even written on the cover and I didn't notice, eh?

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2005-01-20 8:18 pm   Permalink

Randy.....you are right. Standard Latin Cha-Cha on side 1, TV and Movie themes on side 2. Bongos, flutes, and strings. I do like Hawaiian Eye and Adventures in Paradise though. The Tikis location is listed under the song titles on the rear.

procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-21 01:23 am   Permalink

I realize that paintball games are all in fun and all that, but I think it's bizarrely ironic (and slightly amusing) that a place originally the intended site of such peaceful festivities should be turned into a paintball park. That's a neat picture, by the way!

[ This Message was edited by: procinema29 on 2005-01-21 01:24 ]

buddabob

Posted: 2005-02-01 2:19 pm   Permalink

Grew up in the hills above The Tikis, didnt know there was a train ride there.

A custom job built by Arrow was the famous ‘Banana Train’ ride at Mystery Island at Pacific Ocean Park at Santa Monica Pier, CA. Imagine riding a plantation train through a thrilling volcano eruption dark ride, as you’re shaken by earthquakes! At the time, it was one of the best attractions the park had to offer; and a major breakthrough. The P.O.P. Banana Trains ran for awhile at a restaurant called ‘The Tikis’ in Monterey Park, Ca, after the park closed down, which featured a Hawaiian-themed amusement park created by the visionary Danny Balsz. The disposition of the trains is unknown since ‘The Tikis’ closed down, but if you know anything, many are eager to hear!

"The Banana Trains" at Mystery Island-Pacific Ocean Park, Santa Monica, CA

View Profile of buddabob Send a personal message to buddabob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-01 4:22 pm   Permalink

Welcome Buddabob!

Here are a few links here on TC that discuss P.O.P.:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=12142&forum=1
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=12104&forum=6
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=11068&forum=1&vpost=118680
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=11068&forum=1&vpost=116925

Enjoy!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-01 6:00 pm   Permalink

Sad to see that is the final fate of the unfinished Tikis.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation