[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Brian Eno
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Brian Eno
seamus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-29 6:27 pm   Permalink

I was just out in the shop getting some work done, and listened to my 2 favorite Brian Eno albums back to back(Taking Tiger Mtn.. and Here Come the Warm Jets) and I got to wondering if He ever did anything that could even remotely relate to Tiki. I know Eno has a massive catalogue of ambient and experimental music. He's done Music for Films and Music for Airports etc.. anyone know if theres any Music for Jungles ?
Music for Rum Drinkers?
MAybe aLLthose paint fumes aRe sarting to git tome?

TikisbySeamus.com

View Profile of seamus Send a personal message to seamus  Email seamus Goto the website of seamus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-29 7:59 pm   Permalink

I'd say thayt My Life in the Bush of Ghosts is, if only conceptually, the closest he ever came to Exotica. And that's a stretch. Great record tho.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-01-29 8:54 pm   Permalink

And as far as Music for Jungles, perhaps "In Dark Trees" from Another Green World could qualify.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-29 9:28 pm   Permalink

Eno is the one musician/composer who has had the most profound effect on my life and artwork. I think the guy is absolutely brilliant, even if I'm not a big a fan of his later work, which to me has more of a distant, cold quality that borders on almost unpleasant. For warmth, humor and charm, you can't beat his "first four".

As for your question, the closest I can think of are these few songs:

"Over Fire Island" from the absolutely essential "Another Green World" has an exotica kinda rhythm, as well as my favorite Fripp (or any) guitar solo. If you like the first two albums, ANG and the next one, Before and After Science, are more sophisticated-sounding, but equally as brilliant. They are both must-owns.

Actually, now that I am listening to AGW (for the 8,043rd time), there are several exotica-influenced songs. "Sombre Reptiles" is a bossa-nova-ish slice of coolness, with wood block percussion and some Fripperness on top like a fresh mint garnish on the perfect mai tai.

The song "Zawinul/Lava" has a laid back piano riff with bird calls and strange percussion on it. It sounds very "future-primitive" to me.

"Silver Morning" from Apollo Atmospheres & Soundtracks has a country-ish (Hawaiian?) pedal steel. Eno's reasoning for why he used pedal-steel: NASA was based in Houston and most of the astronauts were from the south and all of them were into country music, so he thought it appropriate.

More into the ambient vein, Eno's "On Land" (Ambient 4) is a dark and moody collage of found nature sounds and electronic processing that has a mysterious exotic quality to it, but is far from "upbeat". Another phenomenal musician plays on it, Michael Brook. I cannot recommend any of his work highly enough. He actually has an ambient album with many exotic, percussive pieces called "Hybrid" that I listen to more often than any Eno ambient album. It even has a song called "Distant Village"! I gained HUGE respect for him when I saw him open for King Crimson around '96 and he blew them away. He was solo and did many of the songs on his albums live, with only the use of a guitar and simple loop/delay box the size of a lunchbox. It was one of the most amazing performances I've ever seen. And he actually crafts songs, not just moody drones that have no form or structure.

But back to Eno: One of his most exotic-sounding songs (though not "Exotica, per se) is the song "Evening Star" from the album of the same name. He did two collaborations with Robert Fripp at the same time as his first two solo albums. It's moody and droney and even cheery sounding without being maudlin, and wouldn't sound out of place late at night when the tiki bar is closing.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seamus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-29 9:30 pm   Permalink

Yeah, My life in the Bush of Ghosts has got that whacky rythmic Byrne thing goin on.

Another Green World is one I haven't heard much. That might be in the ballpark.

View Profile of seamus Send a personal message to seamus  Email seamus Goto the website of seamus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-30 01:13 am   Permalink

One of my favorite stories about Eno was, he use to own a radio transmitter with a large antenna, before they had eight track recorders. While he was in the middle of mixing a song, he would play it over the airwaves, get in his car, and drive around while listening to it, to see if the mix was "just right" or not.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-30 01:18 am   Permalink

I love Brian Eno. Here Come the Warm Jets & Another Green World are two of my favourite LPs. There was a time back in the '70's when I lived in a little turn o' the century studio apartment I went to sleep each night listening to Fripp & Eno's Heavenly Music Corporation (& Swastika Girls).

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seamus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-30 8:34 pm   Permalink

Looks like I better get a copy of Another Green World.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-31 2:25 pm   Permalink

I'd say "On Land" is the closest for my mood. But it's so bass heavy, you almost never hear it. Good for the volcano rumble...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-31 7:08 pm   Permalink

More Eno stuff:

For a really fun listen, get Eno's "810 Live" album. It's essentially a live album of Roxy Music with Eno singing instead of Brian Ferry, right around 1975. They do nothing but Eno songs from the first 2 albums, as well as great covers of "Tomorrow Never Knows" and "You Really Got me" (!)
(Edit: Oops, they actually do a few Phil Manzanera songs, not just Eno's. Haven't listened to it in a while.)

I also love Eno's collaborations with the German synth experimentalists Cluster. "The Belldog" from "Cluster & Eno" is one of my fave Eno songs ever.

There's also a great out of print book called "More Dark Than Shark" that features artist Russell Mills' collage paintings depicting every single song from Eno's first 4 albums. I seem to remember he did it as his master's thesis at Royal College of Art London. Nice work and a cool book if you can find it.

And did you know "King's Lead Hat" (from Before & After Science) is an anagram for "Talking Heads?

/Eno geek

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-bot on 2005-01-31 19:11 ]

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-31 7:21 pm   Permalink

...and I guess we ought to mention Oblique Strategies as well, since we're now *completely* off topic. I have a great little application on my desktop (only 188 kbytes!) that pops open a window with an oblique strategy in it every time I click the icon. Great for creative blocks...

It just told me t take a breeak, so I am outta here!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-01-31 9:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-31 19:08, Tiki-bot wrote:
More Eno stuff:

For a really fun listen, get Eno's "810 Live" album.

Tiki-bot meant "801 Live".

Indeed good advice! But fair warning, listening to it will you give dyslexia.

And speaking of the Oblique Strategies, if you want the actual cards, I ordered mine from
http://www.enoshop.co.uk/ . They also sell a number of limited edition Eno recordings.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-04 1:24 pm   Permalink

I listened to an excellent interview with Brian Eno just last night on Radio 4 (UK) He was interviewed by Alan Moore, the comic artist.

I checked it out and it's up for a few days here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/atoz/index.shtml#c

You need to find the programme 'Chain Reaction' and click on 'Listen'.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-15 7:07 pm   Permalink

More Eno that I still cling to (the vinyl, but also available on CD):

Diamond Head - Phil Manzanera. Miss Shapiro is a warm-up from Warm Jets, but the whole album is great.

June 1, 1974 - Kevin Ayers, John Cale, Nico & Eno (ACNE) live recording - superb.

Low - David Bowie & Eno. Side B is Eno-inspired Bowie at it's best.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-16 07:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-15 19:07, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
June 1, 1974 - Kevin Ayers, John Cale, Nico & Eno (ACNE) live recording - superb.

Is that the session with "Deutchland Uber Alles?" I played that alot back in my College Radio days.
Quote:

On 2005-02-15 19:07, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
Low - David Bowie & Eno. Side B is Eno-inspired Bowie at it's best.

A little further off track, but I love Nick Lowe's answer EP "Bowi."

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation