FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts teaKEY's got a Bar or two *Update*
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
teaKEY's got a Bar or two *Update*
TravelingJones

Posted: 2006-12-20 5:48 pm   Permalink

Okay teaKEYZart...whazzup with BenZmOaI mug??? Photos-photos-photos!!! Me wanna criteaKEY...Ooops dats anutta post !

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-20 6:02 pm   Permalink

I got a photo with a hat on it just like Benz but it would need a smaller hat to be right.

I was going to get peoples opinions whether or not to add wood grain to a clean stone finish, but I thought that to look like the original and do the extra steps, would be good. It should have a transparent honey like glaze over top. The eyes right now are stains. I love working with as much tricks as possible, stains, slips, and glazes. Brushed, dipped, and hopefully sprayed one of these days.

Its the only mug in my collection that looks alive. Hopefully it will still be that way after glazing or just looking like a poly wood, would be just dandy.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-22 4:22 pm   Permalink

That's lookin' way life like Teakey. Not sure if I could sleep in the same room as that bugga. You have done a great job on it. Not an exact copy but close enough and it had some of your own style added in. You done good lad!
Next you will need to do a Bamboo Ben "bottoms up" mug. You already have photos on this thread for your reference

Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-23 03:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-22 16:22, Chongolio wrote:
Next you will need to do a Bamboo Ben "bottoms up" mug. You already have photos on this thread for your reference

Chongolio

hey that was my idea chognolio!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-23 08:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-23 03:28, Johnny Dollar wrote:

hey that was my idea chognolio!

So it was, so it was. My bad Johnny me boy. I am "behind" you all the way with the mug idea. Better get busy with it
TeaKey. JD ain't messin around. Come to think of it neither am I.

Chongolio

P.S. Chognolio? That's a new one.

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-23 11:09 am   Permalink

I think it just winked at me.

Great job teaKEY!

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-27 7:05 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys for the feedback and you guys are in for a treat in the coming week. Most of my Christmas gifts were tiki and I couldn't have had a better C-mas or more tiki. Hell, I got a tikibar and anything to fill it just over the weekend.

So I got the best mugs that I could have gotten and I will leak them out over the next 7 days to give suspense. I had to wait months to see them so you can wait a few days.

I might do a Gallery posting later
But today, I will start you out with a never posted before showing of tiki Flasks that I did as an intro to tiki years ago.

Pm me if you know how to shrink the photos to shutterfly size.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones

Posted: 2006-12-27 8:26 pm   Permalink

SsweeetT teaKEY! Now you gotz some "show & tell" braddah, NICE!
A little Q&A please...

+ When did you make these flasks and why? What was your artistic influence at the time?

+ You have a primitive look to your designs, Why?

+ What clay/'s do you prefer? Do you create or mix your own glazes?

+ Do you fire yourself...KILN?

Smokin' clay goodies there big guy...I especially like the mottled colors in the glazes. The cuts and structure are somewhat Bosko-esque on these BUT that is by comparison to features. Perhaps after seeing more of your pottery, I will click with your style. Keep'em coming, luv to see more!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-28 09:03 am   Permalink

Thanks Chongolio, that is what I think happen. Its a Ben alright. This mug will keep a watch over all the other mugs, like a shepherd. (don't go see the Good Shepherd)

Swampfire, check back to within the next week

Jonesy, Q: When did you make these flasks and why? A: I saw my first tiki mug in a window of a swanky shop. It was a Smokin Joe for $125? and I thought that I could make one since the price tag was too high. Flask are cool, you can get through a metal detector with these flasks
Q: You have a primitive look to your designs, Why? A: I think they look with Bosko, because Bosko creates with his hands first. Nothing is ever perfect but having it not perfect is perfect. A tree isn't perfect but to draw a exact copy, you would have to be perfect. I'm pretty sure that I saw Bosko's work early on and knew that there was two ways to do a mug. smoothed over or "shaky" . Both need to be done and are equal styles.
Since I didn't know what a tiki was by definition of faces, I mixed and matched the best parts from all different mugs. The white mug is a Smokin Joe from memory. The green one are parts of I believe Von Franco. Von Franco did a couple of nice tikis before I joined up to TC. I like the mouth though, I think this is what a figure 8 mouth should look like with the teeth attached to the bottom still. The brown Voodoo, I just wanted mean and the little cherry or heart shape feller I wanted for a one hitter (shot. The strange thing is it has a Mexican style to it but now I see it represented in other thing like the Coney Island man. But I love it. Maybe I will come back to it
Q:What clay/'s do you prefer? Do you create or mix your own glazes? A: There are good glazes for stoneware. I mixed two colors here and there on some of them. Some of it is on the back. Something I use is white slip to change the look of one glaze. more on that later.

Ok, so I will post one of four of my Christmas mugs. I will post thought about my dad in the next few days. But I would put him in my top ten artist list.

He knew nothing of tiki but from me. Never been on TC and probably never will be. I don't know if he will ever use the internet. JUst wanted to give me a tiki mug for Christmas, and you know how hard that is in Michigan. He couldn't have bought one if he wanted.
THe first is from Tiki Magazine One and the others are from TikiMAgazine with Crazy'Al on the cover. So its your guess as to what they are. Go through the Crazy Al issue and pick out the ones you would have liked made.

Ok, so this first one is a logo tiki from the greatest tiki film that never got produced....yet!
Its hard to film cause its black but then the flash lights up the shiny glaze creating light spots. but I got a pic.

its a full body tiki. I have never attempted a full body tiki using only hand-built methods. I think that my dad's the first. He cut the man parts but left the boys cause I knew that he wouldn't make out what they were. The whole mug leans back and very stable. So, now you all know it can be done. The drink even extends down into the flower.

Next mug clues it that its a carveing. Full body as well. Mug looks just killer in hand.

TravelingJones

Posted: 2006-12-28 10:24 am   Permalink

NICE SHOW & TELL! Mahaloz for for all the answers too...mystery is fun but a clue in each detail is important along the journey!! I look forward to seeing more of your finished workz and those in progress.

Now onward to your Xmas goodies...WHOA! You are quite discriptive of your father just messing around with clay and tiki...BUT GEEZUS! THAT's AWESOME!!! You definitely gotta be proud of that one, TOP SHELF for sure! What is the size of the Armchair Traveler?

Reeeally cool, you should approach the right peeps and pull a mold? Not to take away from your Dad's original (you will always have that!) but if produced in limited quantity (with approval of da copyright peeps) what a swanky item to have with the ?DVD release? of the documentary! I bet I know a talented artistic son that could whip up a 'primitive popcorn bowl' to add to the "ARMCHAIR TRAVELING BIG KAHUNA COLLECTORS EDITION"!!!

Great stuff teaKEY, I look forward to your posts...more photos & more photos!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-29 10:11 am   Permalink

I know that Creating Tiki is mostly a carver thing, and I don't carve and collecting tiki is more of a mass produced thing and I never have made a mold or print of anything but I would have thought that a couple more people would be into this.

Travelin- "You should approach the right peeps and pull a mold". That is a great idea. I would almost do that. I would certainly do the mold model for it but I don't know if I would be up to doing the pours. I would certainly do one with TikiFarm if The Right Peeps agreed. But you got me thinking about it. It should be done regaurdless who does it. I can't speak for him but I bet TikiDiablo would be interested.

Should have the next Photos up tonight.

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-29 11:27 am   Permalink

AWESOME STUFF!! That Moai is fantastic and the flasks are a very unique idea.

I don't believe the CREATING forum is strictly craving - I enjoy seeing all aspects people's creativity. I started making tikis in clay before moving to wood. I thought wood would be cheaper (HA!) and cleaner (double HA!). Keep em coming

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-29 3:15 pm   Permalink

Aloha, I know that CREATING forum is not strictly craving but majority and people response to it more. And thanks fro the nice words.

So my dad is different from most artist you hear about. Maybe with that statement, he would be completely different seeing how no one has hear of him. He doesn't show his work other than people who step into the living room. Has been doing art for over twenty years just for fun and never sold a single piece. So, this is nothing more than true love for what he makes. Not for fame, never for money and I couldn't say that I know anyone else like this. Why, cause if I knew them, they would be family or never known..

So this next mug looks great in your hand. Very long (like a U Bastard) and the back of the mugs is super textile and glaze looks like oil. Bone through the nose that extends off. Its in the Crazy Al issue like the next mugs going to be shown. The first mug was a picture design this one a carving. Artist design unknown.

the next mug is from a great artist and one of my favorite items that he produced.

teaKEY

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2006-12-29 15:16 ]

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-02 07:18 am   Permalink

Love the commits. These are the things that add to the piece. Plus I get to relive Christmas moments when I get to talk about these gifts.

It seems like I'm just sending information out into space and talking to myself, I going to just PM the pictures of the mugs to the people that have posted here in the last month. Yes, that even includes you Grog.

Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-02 9:57 pm   Permalink

Very cool, TeaKey- Love those flasks!

[ This Message was edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-01-02 21:59 ]

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation