FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts teaKEY's got a Bar or two *Update*
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
teaKEY's got a Bar or two *Update*
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-04 09:44 am   Permalink

DP double post

[ This Message was edited by: teakey 2007-04-04 10:44 ]

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-04 10:05 am   Permalink

Great job TeaKey! That turned out really nice!

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-04 10:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-24 19:27, teaKEY wrote:
I love art but I have no money. Ever see a $10,000 painting that you just had to buy but didn't have that dough to spend. Thats me and thats all the time. I did something about it..

This is a Jeff Soto painting hanging in a gallery. Its my favorite one too. Jeff is a big time painting, up there with the best.

bad picture but looked sweet with morning sun burning through the window. This painting is hanging up in my bedroom.

Now, ever see "Thomas Crown Affair"(the newest one). You are probably thinking I stole it. I painted it. My second painting ever. Zero painting classes, self taught. This is a foraged painting. Its 99+% accurate. The artist himself wouldn't know the difference. I probably spent more time looking at this painting then anyone ever did/will. Color size everything. I called up Jeff, He knows. Its not for sell ,ever, I love it too much. First thing I wake up too. Starts the day off right.

cool painting and very similar to another artists work i like but can't afford....nathan oda(?) otta(?) not sure about his last name spelling..you can see his work in past shows on the dva gallery website...similiar subjuct matter too!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-04 10:59 am   Permalink

Nathan Ota , bottom on the DvA store page.

Very similar stuff. The clouds, the house, the holes, the plant-like tentacles. Wonder if he is a bit of a fan of Soto. Soto is pretty well known and has been for years. The cheapest painting that was listed on an out dated gallery page was 2.5 in. X 2.5 in. for something like $250-300 and now that same strap of magic would go for $600+

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-04 3:07 pm   Permalink

Tea-Key, I've been painting just 2 yr's in oils and a few paintings in acrylics so I'm certainly no expert, but I can say with some certainty that your painting skills are really good, esp. for just starting an' all. I hope to see alot more of your paintings. That's great that you commisioned yourself to do a copy of that piece and it came out so well. Now you can go to Hawaii with that 10k!

Aloha, ST

[ This Message was edited by: sneakytiki 2007-05-01 07:14 ]

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-04 6:01 pm   Permalink

Thanks very much, Capt'n, Tispy, Sneaky.

That mug, if you didn't know was painted by Drew Brophy for DvA gallery and is owned by only our TC collector KTD. I try to actually make my painting look just like the original. It probably started when I would first draw, I tried to make the picture look just like the one in the book. My sister and kids in school, would ask me to draw stuff for them for class projects. I learned that my line work, looked pretty much spot on.
In college, in my drawing classes, we would have to draw still-life and then hang everyones paintings up next to one another. I noticed that most people would have a great drawing with the feel of the objects represented. Little differences here and there, and mine was pretty much the exactly what I saw. Although, it wouldn't even matter if it was the same, if people had no clue what the original looked like.
When I painted my first painting, of my dad's tiki mug with the idea of a "Scream" backdrop, I thought that it would have to look exactly like the mug, or it wasn't a picture of the mug. Same way with the background. People would get a better idea of what I was going for if it was close to exact. It pretty much is the "Scream" painting. (Posted in a earlier page)
Next I thought, hell, I could paint a painting that I want and no one would be able to tell the difference. The cool thing is, I learn a lot about painting, following master painter's hands, and I got to find out that I could do it. Plus I got free art out of it. And who in today's age has painted a fake of a modern painter's work? Its truly a tribute piece. I will put in details no larger than a hair's width or a pen's point.
I find the process of doing it to be half the journey. Even if its just something I would know.

Tipsy, you and I are sorta the same with reproducing something. Something that we couldn't have had any other way. You and your signs and me doing some paintings.

My next one is going to be a Glenn Barr painting with even the brush strokes in all the same directions. Hopefully I will get to meet him with this painting cause he lives not too far away.

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2007-04-04 18:03 ]

kooche
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-04 6:41 pm   Permalink

awesome man! great mug painting teakey!

tipsy - dude! nice jeff soto painting! i am actually lucky enough to have gotten a few of his paintings prior to his explosion into pop culture... i think it was his very first la luz show with a few other people after which we picked up some things that had yet to sell directly from him. he is one of my favs!

SO IS GLENN BARR! he is incredible and is such a nice humble guy if you ever get to talk with him. we have one of his originals too - lucky!

other favs are joe sorren and viner - who doesn't love ryden? we don't own any of these painter's work

anyway - great job!

View Profile of kooche Send a personal message to kooche  Goto the website of kooche     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-04 7:58 pm   Permalink

Hey Miles, thanks for the painting comps.

It's a honor to have one of the "Juxtapoz" crowd looking over my stuff. Plus, I think your tops of tiki and tiki is got to be my favorite subject.

I have learned that I can paint what I see (mostly) but unlike you, I don't have that great style and memory experience that you have. You have long hours of human form studies and it translates directly into your gouche paintings. Plus all that creativity, you can't learn that.

Sweet that you got original paintings. I'm glad that I got my M.T. oil painting. Love it. Brings a smile to my face, and its one of your smaller one. And its oil, thats something that you don't do as many.
I'll post a detail shot of the Soto

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-17 8:13 pm   Permalink

What a great weekend I had. So I may not have gone to the Farm Parking Lot Event but I had a sweet tiki time in Michigan.

I went to my parent's home for the weekend and my birthday is still a good month away (MAY 27th)(of course May is the best B-day month).

A mug is sitting on the mantle. An early look at my birthday gift. I got a look at it before glaze, but after is breathe taking. Reddish black glaze job like a hunk of Iron, one the most animated tiki mug now and probably for a long time to come. The cool thing about it is that I make mugs, but I would have never thought to have make something like this or even use the same colors.
For a guy that never had been on TC and get all his inspiration from Tiki Magazine, he makes mugs that are beyond first class. Its F'ing Crazy. Now all weekend I get to talk mug with him. At breakfast, lunch, and sometimes dinner. Doesn't get too much better.
I heard rumors of a second mug. Surprise, he wanted to show me on Saturday. Couldn't hold it in any longer. I think he is more excited. Checked the kiln downtown Sat., Kiln just getting started. Check Kiln Sun. morning, @ 500 degrees. He went couple hours later and brought back a scolding hot 300 degree masterpiece. That's what all tiki mugs should be, right? Beyond cool. I thought the mantle one was the best yet, but this one may have topped it. Maybe the best mug that I have ever could dream of. Better!

Sorry no pics but waiting is worth it. I'll give a hint on this one, a Solomon Is. mug. And now maybe my favorite new spot. I'm not into wooden tiki mug, but if this was wood, it would be a museum artifact. Its definitely sculpture and not just a mug. If a molded mug of 300 was selling new for $100, this would have to be in the $1,000 range for it rareness and quality. Seriously, my mug collection is now in the out of this world.
Oh yeah, First Solomon Is. piece done of TC?? So, it broke in the first firing. We are thinking, clumsy hands on part of the loader. But it was fixed and you can't really tell. But talk about Mana. The day after the broken Solomon piece, big waves hit the Island.

Ok, here is the kicker. My dad has done nine mugs and seven of them are on tiki artist. The last is straight from a Oceanic history book (well, magazine) but wait, there more. TikiFArm 2007 contest with six winning mug due out in 08. My dad agreed to make a mug from my designs. We though, we should pump up my stuff for once. Of all the designs that I sent out for the contest and though, ok, never going to get made now, I'm wrong. My dad agreed to make a mug of my chioce from the designs that I summited. Then agreed on two. And then Agreed on three. So, I lucked out with three mugs that I summited to the Farm, actually getting made and in 07.

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-31 5:18 pm   Permalink

"I got a look at it before glaze, but after is breathe taking. Reddish black glaze job like a hunk of Iron, one the most animated tiki mug now and probably for a long time to come. The cool thing about it is that I make mugs, but I would have never thought to have make something like this or even use the same colors.
For a guy that never had been on TC and get all his inspiration from Tiki Magazine, he makes mugs that are beyond first class. Its F'ing Crazy."-(recap)

Just a teaSER. I contacted the artist who was the inspiration over two weeks ago and never heard back. Strange. I will post the colored pic in a day or two unless someone is positive that they know what the mug is of.

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2007-06-01 13:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2007-06-01 13:16 ]

Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-31 5:47 pm   Permalink

it's a 'big black tree trunk with a white question mark' mug?

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 12:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-31 17:47, Johnny Dollar wrote:
it's a 'big black tree trunk with a white question mark' mug?

Isn't that what Munktiki is doing already with their 'Forest Idol' range?

[ This Message was edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2007-06-01 00:42 ]

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 08:17 am   Permalink

Interesting observation KH, although this one is apparently "one the most animated tiki mug now and probably for a long time to come."

Munktiki 'aint got that!

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 1:04 pm   Permalink

A tree would be very cool and Munktiki actual made a mug to look like a tree based off Dave Burke's drawings. 'Forest Idol' that Munktiki is doing right now is more like the animals (or creature) that live in a forest.

But those are not this. Gecko has the claim that he created the "first tiki to stand on its own two legs". My pops created the "first tiki to stand on four legs" based off of Hassan Patterson's design.
http://pressureprinting.com/patterson/patterson_nav.htm/ design for sale at Pressure Printing

The tiki looks so real, you would think that it would bite you if you get too close.

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2007-06-01 13:09 ]

frostiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 2:24 pm   Permalink

Man, I haven't checked on this thread in a while, your stuff is coming along nicely. I'm blown away by your recent painintgs. Keep up the good work.

View Profile of frostiki Send a personal message to frostiki  Email frostiki Goto the website of frostiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation