FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts teaKEY's got a Bar or two *Update*
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
teaKEY's got a Bar or two *Update*
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-20 08:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-04 08:35, Surf tiki wrote:

Its an "Action Mug"- Smoke emits from the nose. Was for sale and it SOLD

The way you are using it it looks like the smoke should be coming out the top

Surf tiki, yeah it does look that way. But instead the user shares with the tiki. It has been said that a good vase should look like it has breathe. Meaning, if you were to create a thrown vase, it would have a expanding "belly" with a narrowed top, like a blown balloon. A Chinese vase appears to have captured air and the contour appears to have a force pushing out from the center. This mug surely looks to be enjoying the party as much as anyone else.

Something in the works

My signature collection
[

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-02 6:30 pm   Permalink

Just went to Florida and I have to say that the nice weather was just the thing I needed. Too bad I can't live in that kind of weather year around like many of the TCers here.

So I was in the airport and my Dad said that he has a NEW mug sitting at the studio for its first bake. Said that he found the photo from one of my tiki magazines. "Scratching my head" Turns out that it was from an oceanic art softcover that has outlines of different works. I don't like the book all that much, too scattered.

I was told it was Pele. But this Pele isn't anything that I was thinking "she" would look like. I'm very interested in what it will look like. I haven't seen the work and can't imagine how it will workout.

It will be a first for a mug like this and you don't really see wood carvings for this guy.

Photo form the book

"Pele"

Will post update when I see more

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-24 6:49 pm   Permalink

22 days since last post

Image on right is from a small book called Oceanic Art 1966 (Finial, Bishop Museum, Honolulu)

Went to my parents house for the Easter break and I was thinking that maybe the Pele would have been all glazed up. Didn't know the color but had a black rusty red in my mind but brown would probably by the "natural" choice. Said,"You want to see it, it's down stairs?" Sure!, went down stairs and there was something wrapped up and I knew that it probably wasn't the Pele.

Instead, it was something new. The Tiki Magazine was opened (The Mitch O'Connell issue) to the front portion of the mag. Another one-off mug by a TikiCentral artist who doesn't monkey around with his many of prints. I guess my dad is taking a big liking to this artist for it is the second inspired piece by the same artist.

I guess I was saying that he (my dad) hasn't made many full body tikis. Why, they are just plain harder to do and a large head makes for much detail and an impact on the shelf. Actually I say inspired because this mug is at least 50% original concept and based off a portion of the TC artist's work. Pretty cool mug as they all have been and I spent my Easter giving this new work some cleaning up. ((Should be able to post some pics soon)) but back to the Pele.

Pele, not final fired and still haven't seen it but I have seen something from it which gives enough clues about it.

(detail of Jade glaze)

Above is a picture of what I saw this past weekend. If you didn't know what it was, you would never guess. Would make for a good guessing game (maybe next time). The color, something with the name like Old Jade(?), and you get a since of size comparing it to the original photo. Plus its function is revealed. It's a stopper but I'm still curious as to what the entire piece will look like put together.

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2008-03-25 08:25 ]

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-26 3:02 pm   Permalink

Earlier is Shout Paipo stated:
Quote:
Paipo: That ain't Pele.... 13:30:20

I have been looking around for information on this "Pele" carving and couldn't come up with anything. I totally missed the posting in General where Tikimaster(.com)'s newest and coolest tiki on fire got posted 12 days ago. I have to wonder if the clay "Pele" above brought out the wooden tiki. (and actually I have to check out that website now)

I knew this tiki looked like a guy but if not Pele then what? Could it be Pele and Pele could just be a guy? Found this a week ago forgot I had it

(*note that there are no top spikes)

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-26 3:02 pm   Permalink

(double Post)

but I'll add this

Paipo: it was labelled incorrectly when it was collected, and so the label stuck, as they tend to with museum collections. ...and I guess it's cooler than using that design and saying "it's...umm...some dude. Don't know his name."

Paipo: if you're gonna do Hawaiian pieces, get the
book 15:50:36

And if I have the money, it looks like a great resource, thanks

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2008-03-26 17:02 ]

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-26 4:59 pm   Permalink

So here is the newest of the new. I really should get measurements and scale shots and all that good stuff but that will have to come at a later time.

So the Tiki Magazine was open to I believe the inside cover (Mitch O'Connell issue) to another one of
Doug Horne's fabulous artwork. Opening up one page is how far my dad made it into the magazine before he saw something that caught his eye. The advertisement is for Doug's collaboration with Fender guitar. I have to say that I really like the backgrounds that give the look to the guitars. That blue for the Maoi and the green/yellow for Unquiet Village (drummer) make for a defined look. Would make me want to buy one and learn to play.

Unquiet Village is the tiki that was chosen for the new mug. Which is great cause that's a great looking tiki to do if you're going to do a tiki. Plus the style of that tiki with the "blinking eye" (how I perceive it) is totally the look of Doug. Still love the monkeys the best and my monkey mug the best but each new mug seems be a fresh concept. A direction that I can't say I would take. I know I wouldn't go there and see these ideas as possible mugs but the more mugs my dad makes the greater the possibilities. For instance, I was looking back through Meyer's Oceanic Art book and the many more artifacts that I would never see to work now could. Works with small arms and bent legs can hold a decent drink and pineapple.

The new mug (need name, need name) has the head similar to Horne's image minus the moko/ elaborate facial tattoo and the chin is different. My dad couldn't figure out what was going on there. I knew instantly but I like the way the chin is handled here. Actually aside from the cut out eye and the look of the nose, this tiki could have been an original idea for us. The feet have ankles and the shape in the back is a nice feel in the hand and shape to look at. Pant legs and shirt sleeves that you can see up a bit. I think this one would be a pain to mold.

Got a few shots of the still rough tiki. Dad's handy work (Shame to touch/ really) Glad I get to see in between stages.

Nice warm light

After the cleaning. Was needed to define parts and to help create the illusion which we call art. There was a good deal of time in involved but I really enjoy this part especially if I'm not drained from building. Did however leave the pants hand/tool marked and the triangle in forehead (for balance)

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-06 7:08 pm   Permalink

The JADE PELE

Beauty & the Beast

Cheers teaKEY

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-08 09:40 am   Permalink

A myspace bump

On 2008-03-06 16:28, teaKEY wrote:

mine

You just have to click the picture. I not sure if everyone knew this image and the signature at the bottom are links.

OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-13 12:09 pm   Permalink

Teakey,
The glaze work in the small pic above labeled in the works is quite beautiful, nice break up

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-14 4:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

OceaOtica wrote:
Teakey,The glaze work in the small pic above labeled in the works is quite beautiful, nice break up

Thanks & You are correct sir. Three different green glazes and all came out nice. I think I will use the OLd Jade again since its around to use. Maybe throw in some volcano ash for good measure.

New
Started this last night. Super Sculpy II. Its been in my car for a couple seasons (Michigan) Never worked with the stuff but it feels like working with a pencil eraser. Kinda crappy.

Can you guess it?

side view

front view

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-16 2:55 pm   Permalink

SO if those were photos 1 through 4

Here are the next batch.

Chin tiki.........................................................................................Mouthy

Define eyes / full out nose.......................................................................Ears

Fat burger,cheeks.................................................................................Boner

Cheerio...........................................................................................Back to Basics

Feed me some feedback -teaKEY

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-03 09:56 am   Permalink

Here is the newest piece glazed.

Turned out surprisingly good, well, my dad was surprised. Didn't have enough glaze to do a proper dunk. A new color for us yet again.

a bad cut out. Picture taken outside

close up on the eye

close up on eye, detail of the glaze.

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-23 4:32 pm   Permalink

next

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-23 4:32 pm   Permalink

page

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-23 4:33 pm   Permalink

something new

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation