FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts teaKEY's got a Bar or two *Update*
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
teaKEY's got a Bar or two *Update*
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-12 06:52 am   Permalink

"texture/color coat?"

the texture is the best you can get with just the concrete and in the picture, its just at least ten colors on it. If it didn't have any color it would be white.

A natural Moai is a dark gary and then they have a white scale on them with a bit of a yellow/brown something

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 09:59 am   Permalink

(NEW)

I made mugs, a couple of them a couple years ago, and I just got back into doing them. The couple that I made in the past is NFS and priceless for me. I just made two for sale(unshown and unglazed) and now a third mug which I will share with you here.

The last three mugs that I have created are the tops in the classes. The goal was to make the best tiki mugs ever! and I am going to see to it. These mugs here are best so far in the small field that I created them in. #1 is one of the best mugs that I have seen and the only mug is existence to do want it does(copyright). I like that sort of thing. #2 is one of the only mugs that looks better upside down but it something completely different right side up. Can't say I've seen that.

#3 Not my design so its not for sale, but its could be the only hand-built Moai mug in existence. Hand-built, using no molds ever, and I even balance the mugs. By balance that is where the outside of the mug matches the inside , giving it reduced weight and simulates a molded mug. This process in the hardest way to do a mug. It would be easier to make a mold for even just one mug and smash the mold.
These mugs have a soul, are original designs and work(not copies like a molded piece) and have the mana of hand carved wood. Small or big, its about the same amount of work.

I asked permission form TikiCentral's most beloved Tiki Craver, BenZart, if I could do a mug of one of his carved pieces. BenZart was into it. And Benzart was one of the first people on TC welcome me in. I believe that most of us will find that to be true with them too.
So I decided to pick one of BenZart's pieces that spoke to me alot. I love Moai and I have to say, for me, the carving that he is working on right now is the best moai I have seen in wood. Yesterday I started this mug, Its a tribute to Ben and all of his hard work and kindness to me and everyone else me meets although I have never met him. Most of the time artist tribute artist when its too late.

I got pretty far with this guy. I will show some progress shots, just like Benzart does. I came up with the name for this guy at 1:00 Am when I was still working on him, Big Ben is going to be the name. Most of my mugs are huge compared to some others. Its the way I prefer them. I don't have the most recent picture from last night but this mug is petty spot on, and the only different should be the length of my nose is longer.

more tonight!

After I got the grin right, I was like Holy Sh%t, it dawned on me that Thanks to BenZart, I just may have made the best Moai Mug in the world. And it make me want to have my BenZart Tikifarm mug more, compare them, and I would even I to have Tikifarm do a version of this one. Can't wait, its Benzart all the way.

Stay Tuned.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 4:14 pm   Permalink

Whoa!

Quit F'n teasin us and show what you got! Sandbagger!

(from a closet mug freak!)

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-12-13 7:28 pm   Permalink

O.K. Mr. Mugz...how many fingers am I holding up? O.K. fine.

Now focus on the chart and read the smallest line possible...

O.K. fine

...Now teaKEY, show us the goods?

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 7:52 pm   Permalink

The picture above, I'm not hiding anything. I think under my hand is a large black hole, no defined lips until now.

Didn't get to work on it today, but that is the plan for tomorrow. I'm going to have fun with the ears. But here is the more current pic. I love that grin.

I think it even has a little BenZart lean, in the same diretion even.

What do you guys think?

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 8:10 pm   Permalink

ps. yeah, I know, the pictures are fuzzy and I should be a hand model. Those hands are h-o-t.

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 8:12 pm   Permalink

OMG!

Freakin A!

Are you gonna make a mold..huh..huh..huh?

Sweetness!

McTiki

Go on......get back to work............really!

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 8:35 pm   Permalink

Actually, if I was going to make a mold, I wouldn't have done it the hard way, and go straight for the jugular with a one off mug.

but the design its not mine so my hands are clean of the blood. Maybe down the road I will make a mold if possible to make just Ben one.

But if you like this mug, there is always the Tikifarm mugs that Ben designed and that one sneaky eight legged Sculptor made. Maybe if I do good work long enough, Tikifarm will scoop me up and place me in their warm love nest.

Chow

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2006-12-13 20:56 ]

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 9:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-13 19:52, teaKEY wrote:

What do you guys think?

Now I can actually see it I think it looks pretty good! Needs more forehead though...

Quote:

Maybe if I do good work long enough, Tikifarm will scoop me up and place me in their warm love nest.

Dude! This is a family forum!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-14 10:12 am   Permalink

Piapo-
Quote:
Now I can actually see it I think it looks pretty good! Needs more forehead though...

I know I know, Just wasn't there yet in that pic. Fixed the other eye, the forehead is there, and the ears are in place, but not fully shpaed and detailed. May other little changes here and there.

Still left- finish the ears, the Big Ben name of back, clean the bottom edge and sign the piece. And whatever clean up that is still needed.

For ther bottom

jordan designs
BenZart

DETRIOT

teaKEY
Date (something like that) Maybe my signnature somewhere

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-14 12:30 pm   Permalink

Another suggestion...seeing as you've only got the head, unless you're familiar with Benz style it might not come across as a moai to some folk...maybe you could put some birdmen or other Rapa Nui motifs on the back? He is looking really nice in these latest pics - you've definitely captured the feel of Benz's work.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-14 1:10 pm   Permalink

Did I say this was my first....mug to look like a carving and first Moai mug.

Paipo-
Quote:
Unless you're familiar with Benz style it might not come across as a moai to some folk.

I always liked the Moai without eyes. Maybe a little one material/ more known. But Moai are suppose to have eyes when they made it to their alter.

Benz Moai, looks to be human(what Moai represented) and alive, not died like the eyeless seem to be just now. Everything is where it is for a Moai- the long face, tight lipped, long ear, and heavy brow. So everyone here knows Benz style and what a Moai could and couldn't be.
And to my friends and family they wouldn't know what the back should have, I don't think the general public knows anything about the back of an "Easter Island Head" as I would say to the uninformed.

Most of all Adding birds would add weight, take more time(which is fine), take the space for the Big Ben logo, and feel uncomfortable in the hand. Actually the mug was better off without ears but The ears add a lot to the look and design.

I believe that the mug is 11" high. Perfect fit for my 11" inch high shelf. Beating out the U BAstard and Pele w/ top for tallest. It will shrink alittle over 10%.

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-15 06:57 am   Permalink

It came to my attention that somewhere in my earlier post that I came off alittle strong in the confidence department. Too much prideful boasting? It was said by a friend that I sounded "cocky". Well, everything that I do in life, I know that there is someone better at doing it. Art is the only thing that I excel in more than the average person. ((Actually, anyone can do great art, most just never tried. Although between all the artist, there are better artists than others and all artist can be better than themselves)) I feel confident with art because I know all things are possible with art and that I "should" be able to do what the next guy is doing. I have never had a painting class but my second painting(and last) was a perfect forgery of a favorite Jeff Soto painting. And how did I do it, well, I painted what I saw, thats it. (I could talk art all day)

I said my mugs were the best in their small fields. I love that idea. I never said that my mugs were the best.
Then I was asked how do you know that they are the best then you don't know everything out there. I have seen ever tiki mug posted on TC, Ebay, and large parts of Goggle over the last two years. Nothing tiki has gotten past my eyes.
I said that I don't have to know to know. I said that I know for sure that I'm the only person in this house that likes tiki. I could say with 99.99% accuracy that I'm the only one that likes tiki in a five mile radius. I could say that I'm the only one in Michigan to have made a tiki mug. How do I know, because I have never heard of someone else doing one. So if thats true, I make the best tiki mug in Michigan. Why, cause I'm the only one to make a tiki mug in Michigan.

There the best cause there the only ones. I made the best upside down mug, cause, its the only upside mug. And then I say that I think my one mug is the best I've seen, thats my own personal preference. I like my mugs, one of one, huge, just the head of the tiki, and straight tops the best. If you can't find what you are looking for, make it. Its fun and rewarding too. But hell, no one got a raise out of what I said, anything! I want to just spark a conversation. And my last mug is a Benzarts design, So if I say its the best, I'm just saying how much I like Benzart. But people don't make many comments to my stuff.

I think that everyone has a best at something. Maybe its being the best parent for your child and only you could really know that.

But let my jot down some ideas and then I'm going underground.
Mugmakers, and I don't think of Tikifarm and Munktiki tiki fit into the individual classes just because they're companies that aren't one man doing it all.

TikiFarm- Best Cheap mug(cheap as in inexpensive), Most mugs sold, Most different art under one umbrella
Munktiki- Best mug crossover designs, Best Selection of styles by a single artist
Bosko-Best asymmetrical mugs, Best Vintage feel glaze (and isn't he like the Godfather of Modern mugs)
Tiki Diablo- Best use of mix media in a mug, Best multicolored mug
Tiki Tony- Best Cartoonish quality, Best packaging for mug, Best painted mugs
Crazy Al- Best mug from carving,
Gecko- Best glazes, Best bowls, Most expensive?
Rum Demon- Best fruit mugs, Best at doing different glaze for each mug
Vantiki- Best musical mug, Best sold hand-built mugs, Best use of mixed clays

Me, best upside mugs, best mugs to be ever made from his kitchen floor, Biggest cermanic Mug(the meaning of Alchemy), Best Action mug(you'll see)

And I'm the kind of guy that has a when I here at TikiCentral.

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-12-15 09:12 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2006-12-15 10:12 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-12-15 09:14 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2006-12-15 10:12 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation