FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki South Pacific Polynesian Restaurant & Gardens, Hallandale, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
South Pacific Polynesian Restaurant & Gardens, Hallandale, FL (restaurant)
joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-04 3:18 pm   Permalink

Name:South Pacific Polynesian Restaurant & Gardens
Type: formerly a restaurant
Street:
City:Hallandale
State:FL
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
I was on ebay and found a matchbook for a restaurant called "South Pacific Polynesian Restaurant and Gardens" I grew up in Hollywood, Florida (which is the neighboring city to the north of Hallandale) and I have NEVER even heard of this place. Is anyone familiar with it?

Here is the link to the ebay site and a picture of the matchbook cover:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=477&item=6508555147&rd=1

[ This Message was edited by: joefla70 on 2005-02-04 15:20 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2013-01-16 20:59 ]

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-04 9:13 pm   Permalink

My my, that was quite a place. A rambling group of huts and structures, it was obviously inspired by the nearby Mai Kai (like every other Polynesian joint in the area).

There are very nice postcards of it, I even have a rendering. Here's an excerpt from the menu text, which is among my favourite texts in Poly Pop poetry:

>>Mysterious shadows cast their lights on the moat (!??) that surrounds the village and in it's dark waters dart tropical fish of all colors, flown here from the island of Niihau.....the authentic thatching on the main portico and smaller huts was fashioned by a group of Polynesians and Seminole Indians...the magnificent Kauai Bar and Lounge enhanced by lovely cocktail waitresss in tantalizing native garb....
The breathtakingly beautiful interior design was created by Kalani,"the guy from Hawaii", who is famous for.....<<

That's where I crack up each time, that is such a cool title:
Kalani, "the guy from Hawaii"...ouh man

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki on 2005-02-04 21:17 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-05 10:08 am   Permalink

The menu from there is one of my favorites ! I just got this postcard from the South Pacific, that has a few views of the grounds and interior:

[ This Message was edited by: puamana on 2005-02-05 10:10 ]

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-11 3:10 pm   Permalink

The South Pacific was in competition with the Mai-Kai. Kern at the Mai-Kai said his mom danced there for awhile, and they appear to have traded bartenders as well.
KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-03-02 06:47 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-16 10:43 am   Permalink

Here's another shot of the glory that was the South Pacific!
KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff 2010-03-08 18:12 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
neatjunk

Posted: 2005-07-17 07:35 am   Permalink

I have lived in South Florida for all my 48 years and had never heard of this place before finding three swizzle sticks of the South Pacific this past week at a local antique mall. It was great to see the post cards of it.

[ This Message was edited by: neatjunk 2005-07-17 07:37 ]

[ This Message was edited by: neatjunk 2005-07-17 07:39 ]

View Profile of neatjunk Send a personal message to neatjunk  Email neatjunk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-17 09:24 am   Permalink

Anyone know the years of service of this place. Wonder if it was there in the 70s.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-18 12:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-04 21:13, bigbrotiki wrote:
That's where I crack up each time, that is such a cool title:
Kalani, "the guy from Hawaii"...ouh man

Kalani was married to Ihilani, who was a performer at the South Pacific. Here is the back cover of her album "Voice of the South Pacific" where the South Pacific Restaurant and the Mai-Kai are mentioned.

Thanks to bellybongo for the album cover scan.
Here is his share site with a couple of songs from the album.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-19 6:49 pm   Permalink

...and note the label that released this record, of course! Wonder if they put out any other gems.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-22 8:04 pm   Permalink

Hmm. I don't know. It's difficult to search on "tiki records" because in addition to referring to the specific record company from Miami, that phrase is also used often to refer to exotica records in general. But I take it that this record is the first (and possibly the only) for Tiki Records. Notice the "Vol. 1, No. 1" at the bottom left.

And here's another, but I don't think this is the same Tiki Records:

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-26 1:49 pm   Permalink

This has always been one of my favorite Tiki places in Florida from a visual perspective. The graphic illustrations from the South Pacific that are shown in Tiki Modern are some of the nicest I have seen.

I recently picked up an excellent drink menu from the South Pacific Restaurant and have a few other postcards and matchbooks that are not represented on this post yet.

Here is the menu cover and back.

Here are the inside graphics - very cool.

Here are a few more postcards I have showing the exterior and some entertainment.

Here a a couple of matchbooks.

Interesting that the advertising focused on Hollywood Florida even though the restaurant was located in Hallandale.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-26 3:16 pm   Permalink

i remember in the late 90's, drivin south on a1a from mai tiki, headed to fort lauderdale...there is a real cool post modern looking building just south of hollywood florida..the expressway drives right by it and if you look down to the left as you go around the curve there is what was obviously an old tiki place..it looked to be still in operation but i couldn't stop to check it out....there was no way down from the highway at that point to get to it, plus i was unfamiliar with the territory and didn't want to stray too far off my route.....the outer building was clearly googie and this picture from the postcard and matchbooks reminded me of it cause it had that tiki space age look as i recall.....anyone know what the hell i'm talking about?? anyone been to that place??....i don't think it was the south pacific but it was real close in style...

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-26 3:25 pm   Permalink

Wow, this place looked amazing. Imagine all that work going into a drive-up entrance. Post WWII Roadside Car Culture at it's finest.
And the interior...damn.

So, where's that damn time machine already ?

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-26 4:42 pm   Permalink

This is shaping up to be a real nice thread, Thanks to Mimi for refreshing the images, and DC's new additions. Now if we only could figure out the connection between the "Kabuki"/Maori Tiki on this oracle tower and Bob Lee's Islander menu cover Tiki!

Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-12-27 4:51 pm   Permalink

I'm a fan.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation