FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tropical Gardens with Hardy Plants
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Tropical Gardens with Hardy Plants
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-28 7:47 pm   Permalink

We got crushed this year.
I'm hoping most of it comes back but we definitely lost about 15 palms.
My ti plants I grew from cuttings I brought back from Hawai'i look very beat down.
Lost all my night blooming jasmine - a huge stand.
I've got the largest "elephant ears" I've ever seen anywhere and they are done.
Wild gardenia - a wonderful specimen. Gone. Papayas - gone. My 20' avocado that was to start fruiting this year. Done. Lemons, limes - done. All plumerias and all crotons and all the bananas gone. I'm not sure if it will recover or not. Even the queen palms got burnt and they're hardy.

I did find out a few pretty hardy species of plants this year though and I can that queen palms can take it pretty cold. We got to 19 a few nights in a row. Pindo palms as well. Also my chinese fan palms did OK under the trees - the lady fingers did well. But mostly - it was a beat down.

I thought I lived in Florida but I was wrong.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-28 8:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-28 19:47, pablus wrote:

We got crushed this year.
I'm hoping most of it comes back but we definitely lost about 15 palms.
My ti plants I grew from cuttings I brought back from Hawai'i look very beat down.
Lost all my night blooming jasmine - a huge stand.
I've got the largest "elephant ears" I've ever seen anywhere and they are done.
Wild gardenia - a wonderful specimen. Gone. Papayas - gone. My 20' avocado that was to start fruiting this year. Done. Lemons, limes - done. All plumerias and all crotons and all the bananas gone. I'm not sure if it will recover or not. Even the queen palms got burnt and they're hardy.

I did find out a few pretty hardy species of plants this year though and I can that queen palms can take it pretty cold. We got to 19 a few nights in a row. Pindo palms as well. Also my chinese fan palms did OK under the trees - the lady fingers did well. But mostly - it was a beat down.

I thought I lived in Florida but I was wrong.

Arrrrr!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-29 06:14 am   Permalink

Pablus, any chance the cold knocked out any of the invasive non-native plants you guys are having trouble with?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-29 08:18 am   Permalink

Pablus, I am in the same boat....Over the last few years I have invested much time and money to my back yard with what I thought were cold tolerant tropicals...Bismarkia Palm, Washintonia palm, queen palm, chinese fans, and caranry islands...I am up n of you in Ocala and my stuff is crushed as well....clip the dead off and hope that it comes back.
"Want a beer?'"...."It's 7:00 in the morning!"...."Scotch?"...."Not during working hours."

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-29 08:55 am   Permalink

Yeah, don't count them all out yet!

Many hardy sub-tropicals mimic deciduous plants in colder (though not freezing) climates, dying back (to the ground) and then re-emerging when the days become longer, sunnier, and warmer. We lose out Mint, Taro (Elephant Ear), Banana, Ginger and Heliconia pretty much every winter, but since it's well established, it all returns every Spring.

As far as citrus goes, they actually can stand quite a bit of cooler weather with little harm, if you take a few precautions. The thing that is a killer for citrus is icy wind and having dew freeze on their leaves. We prune the citrus here at "Lund Manor Estate Farms" to a smaller, bush-like shape and then are able to protect them by building a "cold frame" with bamboo poles (harvested from our Vivax) and plastic sheeting. Eventhough NorCal has gotten down to freezing several nights this winter, we've been able to keep the wind and freezing dew off the key limes and they've kept their blooms.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-29 10:01 am   Permalink

Did I miss Monstera Deliciosa ? Monstera's are Tiki and Movie favorites. They grow indoors and out in moderate to tropical very nicely.

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-29 11:44 am   Permalink

<<
Pablus, any chance the cold knocked out any of the invasive non-native plants you guys are having trouble with?>>>

Not that I've seen so far. We've got this vine that they sell at nurseries around here that absolutely has taken over my yard. I didn't plant it - it seeds itself - it grows from root shoots - it won't be stopped. It's a little yellow trumpet vine that is the most insidious thing ever. Nothing stops it short of ripping it out of the ground and that man's work for days at my house. It seems fine... of course.

Yeah, I looked around today and we lost a lot more than I originally thought. Some of them are for sure dead. I've been growing this stuff for a decade or more and can't believe what I'm seeing.

But the bamboo is good. And the yuccas. So I don't have to start from scratch.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-29 12:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:
It seems fine... of course

So much for the silver lining to your cloud. We get a cold snap every 10 years or so, kills all the young ficus trees

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-29 2:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-29 11:44, pablus wrote:
We've got this vine that they sell at nurseries around here that absolutely has taken over my yard. I didn't plant it - it seeds itself - it grows from root shoots - it won't be stopped. It's a little yellow trumpet vine that is the most insidious thing ever. Nothing stops it short of ripping it out of the ground and that man's work for days at my house.

I feel the same way about the Oxalis that is contantly trying to overtake my fern mound.... GGGRRRRR!!

photo is from
http://pirateneo1.blogspot.com website

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-07 1:39 pm   Permalink

I have a little different problem. We live in the desert and the RAIN killed 6 eucalyptus trees. The ground behind the trees is higher and very salty, our recent SoCal rains washed all that salt into my trees, I don't think they'll make it except the big one on the end. Three of the trees were ones I planted a month ago to replace trees killed by last year's rain

ainokea
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-08 5:23 pm   Permalink

Yikes... I first posted on this thread almost 5 years ago.

I've limit my tropical experiments to taro, 'awa, banana, kalamansi, and ginger that I winter indoors, but periodically check out the following sites for Zone 7 inspiration:

http://www.panamajohn.com/ (Use IE; not Firefox friendly)

http://bocajoe.smugmug.com/Tropical-Plants-in-a-Non

Thought you all might dig the sites.

View Profile of ainokea Send a personal message to ainokea      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tedtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 08:30 am   Permalink

Hey thanks for the links. It gives me hope that I can actually have that tropical paradise in my own yard.

View Profile of tedtiki Send a personal message to tedtiki  Email tedtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 08:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-08 17:23, ainokea wrote:

http://bocajoe.smugmug.com/Tropical-Plants-in-a-Non

Thought you all might dig the sites.

Flowering Plumeria in Virginia?!

The pictures are wonderful. I want the blog that goes with them, detailing how they do it!!

Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 09:25 am   Permalink

Oh man I can smell that plumeria from here. SWEEEEEEEET.
I see some of you have lost a few beloved trees and plants. Here's a suggestion, may or may not work depending on the circumstances but try planting a canopy, trees that will protect undergrowth from the frost. It might take quite a few years to develop but it's worth a try. In the meantime you're helping Planet Earth. One tree planted by every family will reduce 1 billion pounds of carbon dioxide annually from the atmosphere. So plant 2 or 3 or 10 for the families that can't. I think I have over 30 trees, front and back combined. Also plant trees that won't cause root problems with your foundation or concrete/sidewalks. (Research) One of my faves is Podocarpus Gracilior an evergreen, very few root problems if watered deep when young. Plant onward bruthas and sistahs.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ainokea
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-09 8:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Flowering Plumeria in Virginia?!

The pictures are wonderful. I want the blog that goes with them, detailing how they do it!!

You may want to browse or even join the DC Tropics group at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dctropics/ - Friendly folks and they respond well to questions. You can probably pick the brains of the gardener who grows those plumerias.

View Profile of ainokea Send a personal message to ainokea      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation