FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tropical Gardens with Hardy Plants
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Tropical Gardens with Hardy Plants
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-02 10:44 am   Permalink

I've got a 5' banana(musa basjoo) I'm going to be planting this weekend.(anniversary gift - parents rock!)

Just for the heck of it I'm going to take before and after shots. Hope it doesn't rain! I've got a baby musa and a baby windmill palm to put in there too. Yahoooooo!!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-02 11:17 am   Permalink

I’d like to quickly chime in on the growing coconuts in So Cal question. There is a mature (but not fruiting) palm on 101, all the palm guys I’ve spoken with attribute it’s survival on the “perfect microclimate”. The way it was described to me was; it is up against a wall were it gets radiant heat and its roots are going under a sidewalk/road (a lot more heat).
The problem with growing coconut palms here is our long winters, it stays cold for almost half a year, which slowly kills the plant and they need continuous heat. Some plants are able shut down and start growing again next spring but not this one, I have seen many people try and the plant always dies. They are truly a tropical plant, if you really have to have a coconut looking plant there are several species of palm which are related to coconuts and can make it in our area.

My very best Alohas

Bosko

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-02 11:25 am   Permalink

It would be cool to have a removable greenhouse made from corrugated clear plastic. You could assemble it in the winter and remove it for the summer. Kind of a lot of work, but the palm might do well and eventually bear fruit!

A local fellow has been growing cactus up here using a similar method. In the winter our persistent rains penetrate the plants. The water freezes and kills the new growing tips. By making a little awning out of the same plastic you can keep them dry and alive. I may try this.

P.S. our palms rarely get taller than 25 feet, so I'm probably thinking on a much smaller scale.

[ This Message was edited by: Tikiwahine 2005-09-02 11:26 ]

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-02 11:30 am   Permalink

<<Content Mutiny>>

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2005-09-02 21:01 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-02 6:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-02 11:17, TIKIBOSKO wrote:

I’d like to quickly chime in on the growing coconuts in So Cal question. There is a mature (but not fruiting) palm on 101, all the palm guys I’ve spoken with attribute it’s survival on the “perfect microclimate”. The way it was described to me was; it is up against a wall were it gets radiant heat and its roots are going under a sidewalk/road (a lot more heat).

Excellent idea! Maybe I'll give that a try - the winters did in both my coconut palms.

I can relate to the roots growing under the sidewalk. My non--fruiting bananas have ruined my sidewalk by seeking heat (and when my HOA finally learns of it, I'm also going to be in hot water).

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-03 4:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-02 11:17, TIKIBOSKO wrote:

The problem with growing coconut palms here is our long winters, it stays cold for almost half a year, which slowly kills the plant and they need continuous heat. Some plants are able shut down and start growing again next spring but not this one, I have seen many people try and the plant always dies. They are truly a tropical plant, if you really have to have a coconut looking plant there are several species of palm which are related to coconuts and can make it in our area.

My very best Alohas

Bosko

I'm sure that's probably why my palm has survived and my Mum's did not. My balcony is covered on the sides, and has a roof. It receives a lot of radiant heat from the glass window/door and I leave the blinds open all the time, so more heat gets out of the house to the balcony during the winter. The tree that was at my parent's house was definitely too exposed. I thought the extra sun would help it do better, but once it got chilly, that's what did it in.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rotterdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-04 04:30 am   Permalink

Who needs coconutpalms anyway?

View Profile of Tiki Rotterdam Send a personal message to Tiki Rotterdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rotterdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-04 05:26 am   Permalink

p.s. that's not bamboo.

View Profile of Tiki Rotterdam Send a personal message to Tiki Rotterdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-04 09:19 am   Permalink

Quote:
Tiki Rotterdam wrote:
p.s. that's not bamboo.

It took me a second to figure that one out since I was concentrating on the tiki in the background. Anyone up for a Holland Home Tiki Bar Crawl featuring Tiki Rotterdam's place? HAHA!

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-04 10:23 am   Permalink

are they Japanese Elm ???

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-01 2:49 pm   Permalink

Here are pictures taken at Pablus studio. These are some freakin big elephant ears!

I got my grow lights for the basement. Found the 2 4' lights and fixture on Ebay for what I would have paid for just the 2 bulbs. I am going to hang them and make a space for the tropicals to come into the basement for the winter this weekend. My indoor tropical gardens are in process!

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gonzo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-01 7:31 pm   Permalink

Quoted "It would be cool to have a removable greenhouse made from corrugated clear plastic. You could assemble it in the winter and remove it for the summer. Kind of a lot of work, but the palm might do well and eventually bear fruit! "

Your sliding down a slippery slope with this one!!

Many otherwise apparently normal people go mad on palm trees. Attempting to grow coconmut palm tree in south cal is the first symptom. Licualas are the second symptom.

Try slicing a large diamter plastic sewer pipe lentgthwise hinging the two halves. Then glue in insulation and snap around the trunk to protect from the cold. Electric heating cord wrapped around the trunk and also buried in the ground will also help.

In the end the long winter will get it almost 100% of the time

Good luck.

PS Kentias are your closest look a like. Chilean wine palm, jubeaopsis caffra, and parajubea coccoides are the closests relatives to the coconut.

View Profile of gonzo Send a personal message to gonzo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-01 8:28 pm   Permalink

Here's a picture of our Musa Basjoo banana which we wintered over outside last year here in Missouri. It is now even bigger than this! Just mulch it well and uncover it when it is warming up in spring. It is about 15' tall now and has 11 distinct shoots. If you are serious about growing this you MUST amend your soil with peatmoss, perlite and sand and feed with a high nitrogen fertilizer throughout the growing season. Water them a LOT.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-02 08:47 am   Permalink

8FT, when did you get/plant it? Spring? Something to look forward to here in our 7 zone in TN.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-02 11:35 am   Permalink

Swanky, we got this and planted it in June 2004. It will do fine as long as you mulch it very well for winter. Wait until the frosts have killed the current years growth.
Next Spring you may think it hasn't survived the cold but just be patient because it will come back and get bigger each year. If you have the space in your yard you really should get some of these! Here's some more pictures as it got larger this summer.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation