FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ General Tiki ╗ ╗ Giant Tiki Head in Tucson?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Giant Tiki Head in Tucson?
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-17 6:48 pm   Permalink

In addition to the Makeout Moai, this golf course is also home to the infamous Poo Monkey. No, that's not a tail.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-04 10:02 pm   Permalink

As the bearer of bad news, I hate to have to update this thread... Magic Carpet Golf has closed it's doors. The fate of the moai and the other statuary is still being determined. We will update this thread as more information becomes available.

Cheeky Half

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-04 10:35 pm   Permalink

The "cozy bench" should probably be donated to science.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-05 01:19 am   Permalink

Sigh....LONG LIVE Magic Carpet Mini Golf ! LONG LIVE the Magic Carpet Moai !

He will live on in the pages of Tiki Modern! (p. 322)

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-05 02:21 am   Permalink

What they need to do... see... is turn it into an ultra-lounge!

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-05 03:42 am   Permalink

Photos shot in March, 2007:

According to Kelly, who has worked there for several years, the railing at top was installed after a 1968 suicide. She says a man jumped after his girlfriend broke up with him.

Approach from the back (north) side of the Moai

Going up

Looking out the nose

At the top

Looking north from top, toward the T-rex and Kachina in the NE corner.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-05 09:15 am   Permalink

Let's all call that phone number!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
catmomma
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-05 10:12 am   Permalink

I heard here:
http://tikitalk.astropad.com/
That the Moai and other items are up for grabs if someone can haul them away.
Can someone give him a good new home?

View Profile of catmomma Send a personal message to catmomma  Goto the website of catmomma ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-05 11:25 am   Permalink

Here's a link to the newspaper article. http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/daily/local/75471.php

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-05 4:00 pm   Permalink

Too bad Kon Tiki doesn't have a backyard.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-05 8:24 pm   Permalink

I'm really kind of saddned by this, as I've literally driven past Magic Carpet golf thousands of times, yet i've never stopped and played the course, nor did i ever go as a kid, despite living less than two miles away.

Just about a month ago I was saying to my fiancÚ that I really wanted to go before someone decided to tear it down. Guess I'm too late

Chris

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ted tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-06 07:52 am   Permalink

I blame video games.

View Profile of ted tiki Send a personal message to ted tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-07 07:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-04 22:02, cheeky half wrote:
As the bearer of bad news, I hate to have to update this thread... Magic Carpet Golf has closed it's doors. The fate of the moai and the other statuary is still being determined. We will update this thread as more information becomes available.

Cheeky Half

Horrors!
When I went to see the Tucson Ohana and the Kon Tiki some years ago, I did a specific trek just to see the giant Moai, and I was not disappointed.

Is there a public park where it can be placed, just like the Aku Aku at Sunset Park in Las Vegas?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EdsGoneTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-10 8:10 pm   Permalink

Drove by at dusk today and took some photos. Very sad to see the Moai like this.
At least its only paint right now, but the vandalism will probably continue until it's eventually torn down.
Its all steel and concrete so I doubt it can be moved, but i would love to see it saved. Somehow.
Still, its awesome to see in the fading light.
It brings to mind what I can only imagine is the majestic wonder of Easter Island.

View Profile of EdsGoneTiki Send a personal message to EdsGoneTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-10 9:31 pm   Permalink

Wow! How heart wrenching: The Moai is crying blood, the Moai is dying...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation