FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Giant Tiki Head in Tucson?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Giant Tiki Head in Tucson?
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-11 09:52 am   Permalink

WOW, I'm floored! That photo is really creepy. Creepy in that it does look like the moai is all beat up and bleeding.

OK all you artists, if this is not a perfect subject for an art piece, I don't know what is--A bloody, beat up Moai at an abandoned miniature golf park! I smell limited edition print.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-14 6:58 pm   Permalink

Would it be prohibitively expensive to be moved to another golf course or park?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EdsGoneTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-14 7:47 pm   Permalink

Good timing! Yesterdays paper had an article that addresses that question.
Heres a link to the article. (Once there, you can click on the b/w thumbnail of the "tiki head" for a larger image)
http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/224862.php

Oops! sorry if it makes you have to register first. it didn't the first time I went there, but now it does for me.
Oh well, some quotes from the story: "the figures are either too heavy or too unstable to survive a haul" "Not one of these pieces is going to come out the same" "The landmark has also been targeted by vandalism. Sometime this week, the course's multistory Tiki head was defaced by vandals, and its inside had a spray-painted message that read: "DONT RIP ME DOWN!" "We're going to have to lose a couple of them," he said of the creatures. "My hope is that some companies would like to move them for the challenge and fun of it."

DON'T RIP ME DOWN!

[ This Message was edited by: EdsGoneTiki 2008-02-14 20:29 ]

[ This Message was edited by: EdsGoneTiki 2008-02-15 01:19 ]

View Profile of EdsGoneTiki Send a personal message to EdsGoneTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-15 12:03 am   Permalink

TikiMoFo, can you use your clout to get federal funding for the U of A to move it in front of their archeology building?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-17 5:20 pm   Permalink

Good news......From today's Tucson Citizen...

Magic Carpet Golf's tiki head finds a home on Fourth Avenue

Fourth Avenue will soon be getting a new skyline, one that includes a giant tiki head.
The gargantuan sculpture, which graced Magic Carpet Golf for the past three decades, will be getting a new home at the Hut, a nightclub at 305 N. Fourth Ave.
"We are all very excited," said the Hut's operator Douglas "Fini" Finical. "We are keeping it in town and keeping it intact. It's a really good fit. We have the place and the zoning."
The Hut also has a collection of about 200 tiki mugs from the Polynesian Pop era and its stage features local bands that would appreciate the tiki's significance, Finical said.

Rest of the story here...

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/daily/frontpage/79934.php

We'll raise a mug to Finie of The Hut.

CH

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-03-17 5:47 pm   Permalink

Excellent!!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-17 8:50 pm   Permalink

Excellent tiki preservation!

Happy St. Patrick's Day.

exotica59
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-18 08:18 am   Permalink

I love a good tiki story with ahappy ending!
Cheers to Mr. "Fini"! I hope someone takes pictures of the move.

View Profile of exotica59 Send a personal message to exotica59  Email exotica59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-19 3:55 pm   Permalink

Excellent news. A Tiki preserved is a Tiki spreading Tiki mana! Fini, you should make a P.R. spectacular for your bar out of it. I think that this is an act of ancestor worship, honoring our pop culture hero Thor Heyerdahl and his book Aku Aku, And just like Thor, you are hoping to solve the riddle of HOW the Easter Island heads were moved from one place to another! And when he gets there after a long and arduous journey, have a giant cocktail with a giant straw waiting for him, for a P.R photo! Oh, and mention that there is a photo of him in the fabulous book "Tiki Modern".

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 12:45 pm   Permalink

This coming Saturday (the 26th) is the last day for the Magic Carpet golf course. We will be playing a final round and shedding a tear for the loss of a true treasure. If any local Tucson TC'ers are interested I believe you need to reserve a tee time through the Valley Of The Moon web site here...

http://www.valleymoon.info/index.cfm

I think we have a reservation, along with some fellow enthusiasts, at 6 pm.

Just found out that Kon Tiki's resident spinner of tunes exotic, DJ Diabolik, will be playing 'mini-golf-appropriate' (whatever that means) music from atop the Moai from 6-ish on into the night. Sounds like a fun night.

[ This Message was edited by: cheeky half 2008-04-22 15:39 ]

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 5:51 pm   Permalink

Sounds like you all are going to send the golf Moai off well!!!

So glad I got to see him & play a round of golf under the eyes of the Moai

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 6:21 pm   Permalink

These photos put me in a philosophical mood:

Sigh...we are but just a booger in the great Tiki's nostril!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 10:43 am   Permalink

I'm planning on being there Saturday too. I've lived in Tucson for 30 years, driven past Magic Carpet at least 10,000 times and yet never have actually played a round there. I'm looking forward to it!

Chris

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-04-26 8:13 pm   Permalink

The following is an article for the Arizona Star
http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/236081

'Community Rallies to Save Giant Tiki Head'

Sometimes it takes an endangered giant tiki head to bring a community together.

That's what has happened after the announcement that Magic Carpet Golf, 6125 E. Speedway, had been sold to a local car dealership for $1.8 million in January and the aging putt-putt golf course was closing. Suddenly the notion that the statues that made Magic Carpet so groovy the humongous monkey, the weird green alien thing, the iconic tiki head could bite the dust was too much to take.

"So many dedicated people and such a diverse group are passionate in working together to save these statues," he said. "People have put all their love and community-building into it."

Local artists have made paintings of the course, which will be auctioned at the fund-raiser today. There will also be music, performance art and raffles.
"We've had 110 to 120 inquiries from companies and individuals, so I'm pretty confident we'll be able to place all of them," said Valley of the Moon spokesman Charlie Spillar.

Farley said a committee will look at the requests and decide which sculpture should go where, with preference going to new homes that will allow the public to continue to enjoy the statues. A prime piece has already been spoken for: The Hut, a tiki-themed bar on North Fourth Avenue, is making room for the mondo tiki head and is raising money to pay moving expenses.

We like Farley's vision of the Magic Carpet sculptures dotting the Tucson landscape in front of businesses, nonprofit agencies, museums or maybe even parks.

"It becomes a great city-wide treasure hunt," he said.

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote

Posted: 2008-04-27 06:22 am   Permalink

just come to have a look

View Profile of 3388 Send a personal message to 3388      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation