FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Giant Tiki Head in Tucson?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 ) Remove Highlighting
Giant Tiki Head in Tucson?
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-27 11:47 am   Permalink

What a great night, but sad too. Magic Carpet was one of those wonderful places where time had stood still. It wasn't just the massive Moai, the whole place was wonderful and quirky and eccentric and falling apart at the seams. Not a flat green anywhere, most of the mechanics in the structures were broken, the paint was peeling and the whole place had been very neglected over the years. The owner, Mel, who was a regular at the Kon Tiki always dreamed of fixing the place up. Sadly he passed away before he could accomplish his dream.

Thanks to a gang of truly amazing volunteers, the place looked fantastic last night. A lot of the mechanics had been fixed, trash picked up, all the light bulbs were replaced and fresh paint applied (even got rid of most of the red paint that was thrown at the Moai). Mel would have been proud.

Here are some pix of the Final Round.....

1 Last Round

Entrance

Papa Moai

Mr. CH & DJ Diabolik atop Papa Moai

Kona Chris in the Eye

Mrs. CH in the Eye

The Fish

The Ghosties

The Octopus

The Monkey & The Mrs.

The Dinosaur

The Alien

The Steer

One More Moai

Cheers Magic Carpet.....We'll miss you.

ch

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-22 03:10 am   Permalink

James Teitelbaum's article in the new Tiki Magazine reminded me: Was the Tiki transfer successful? Did it find a new home at the Hut? Or did it break...like many of our ....dreams.

Quote:

On 2008-03-19 15:55, bigbrotiki wrote:
Excellent news. A Tiki preserved is a Tiki spreading Tiki mana! Fini, you should make a P.R. spectacular for your bar out of it. I think that this is an act of ancestor worship, honoring our pop culture hero Thor Heyerdahl and his book Aku Aku, And just like Thor, you are hoping to solve the riddle of HOW the Easter Island heads were moved from one place to another! And when he gets there after a long and arduous journey, have a giant cocktail with a giant straw waiting for him, for a P.R photo! Oh, and mention that there is a photo of him in the fabulous book "Tiki Modern".

PS: GREAT pictures, cheekyhalf, what a surreal statue-scape, and what a loss...

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-06-22 03:15 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-22 3:09 pm   Permalink

The Hut held a fundraiser last night. They need $$ to help pay for the moving costs of the Big Guy. Rumor has it the City may chip in something but it is still a very expensive, not to mention difficult, proposition to move him across town. Unfortunately me and the Missus couldn't make it but I know they are doing everything in their power to save him.

The City of Tucson is keen for local business to save the other pieces too, so they can remain on display. Kinda like those cow sculptures that were all the rage in NYC several years ago, but way cooler. The Powers That Be here seem to be a bit more broad-minded when it comes to concepts of public art, and the value of these urban artifacts. There is a public auction on June 28th for the remaining pieces, with preferential treatment going to people who wish to put their prizes on public display.

I'll keep you updated on any Moai Movements.

Fingers still heavily crossed....

CH

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-27 2:30 pm   Permalink

I REALLY hope the moai makes it to the Hut. I work downtown about five minutes from there, so I'd get to see it all the time. I have fond memories of golfing at Magic Carpet as a kid and have seen it slowly declining all these years. In fact, I had my first "makeout" kiss with my high school girlfriend at the top. I hope they leave the stairs and let people go up to the top once (and if) it moves!

View Profile of TikiMike Send a personal message to TikiMike  Email TikiMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-29 06:17 am   Permalink

Are there any updates on the big moai?
And have the ghosts, the skull or the spooky tree been moved yet?
I so miss that place.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-08-31 11:02 am   Permalink

The Moai head was officially unveiled this past weekend.

What is 40 feet tall, over 55,000 pounds and looks like it just came in from Easter Island?
If you were one of many people at The Hut, 305 N. Fourth Ave., Saturday night, you would know that it could be the large tiki head which was unveiled there.

The tiki head was salvaged from Magic Carpet Golf, a former locally owned miniature golf course that was a Tucson favorite for over 30 years.

The full article can be read here
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/reply.php?topic=1325&forum=1

Here is footage of the unveiling from the local news
http://www.kold.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=4086162

And another youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOQNdzFEJc8

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-08 9:39 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: telescopes 2010-11-08 21:39 ]

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation