FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Most bizarre music/commerical pairings?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Most bizarre music/commerical pairings?
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-23 2:33 pm   Permalink

When I use popular songs in my commercials, I like to use 'un-cool' songs. Like Dan Hill's 'Sometimes When We Touch' or 'The Name Game' or the Chariots of Fire soundtrack. But then the client felt they werent cool enough and started asking for 'hip songs, you know, like iPod uses'. In my opinion it made them seem un-cool, cause they were trying so hard to be cool.

Also, I dont know what is cool, I only know lame songs! So it made my job much harder.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-23 2:36 pm   Permalink

Bill Hicks had a very short lived sitcom, I forget the name. He tried to convince himself to play by the rules, thinking that he might be able to slowly shift the theme and content of the show. He hated it.

Not knowing him personally, but knowing some of his close friends. And also knowing the content of his 39 page letter to David Letterman when the cut his skit because it might offend certain advertisers on the show, I feel fairly safe in saying I seriously doubt Hicks would have sold out.

I doubt we'd ever see him selling orange drink.

"By the way, if anyone here is in advertising or marketing, kill yourself. Thank you, thank you. Just a little thought. I'm just trying to plant seeds. Maybe one day they'll take root. I don't know. You try. You do what you can. Kill yourselves. Seriously though, if you are, do. No really, there's no rationalisation for what you do, and you are Satan's little helpers, OK? Kill yourselves, seriously. You're the ruiner of all things good. Seriously, no, this is not a joke. "There's gonna be a joke coming..." There's no fucking joke coming, you are Satan's spawn, filling the world with bile and garbage, you are fucked and you are fucking us, kill yourselves, it's the only way to save your fucking soul. Kill yourself, kill yourself, kill yourself now. Now, back to the show.

"You know what Bill's doing now, he's going for the righteous indignation dollar, that's a big dollar, a lot of people are feeling that indignation, we've done research, huge market. He's doing a good thing." Godammit, I'm not doing that, you scumbags, quit putting a godamn dollar sign on every fucking thing on this planet!" ---BILL HICKS

Oh, I do know that there exist videos of Hicks in his last days. I've tried to get his ex to let me view them. She won't let them out of her immediate vicinity because she's afraid that someone may exploit them. Which she says would be against Bill's wishes. I have utmost respect for the man and his frame of mind regarding advertising before he died.

As to why is it "wrong" to hear pop songs in a commercial. I think that part of the problem is things like that etrade commercial with the band singing about revolution while they flash images of why that particular trading company is so great. The people trying to get you to buy that service are the very people the band in the background were singing about revolting against.

CONTEXT!!!

Hey, Moby got his money and a lot of exposure by letting people use his stuff. Great, more power to him. Especially when he donates some of the money he makes from it to groups derectly opposed to the big car companies practices. It can be done in such a way that is entertaining on a few levels.

But also keep inmind that a number of artists no longer control their catalog. Someone bought the rights long ago, and are more than willing to cash in on their investment.

But I still reserve the right to be disgusted when I hear Have Love Will Travel selling Range Rovers. Your mileage may vary, and I'm just fine with that.

Now can we get more corpaorate product placement in these threads?

'Oh come on, Bill, they're the New Kids, don't pick on them, they're so good and they're so clean cut and they're such a good image for the children.' Fuck that. When did mediocrity and banality become a good image for your children? I want my children to listen to people who fucking rocked. I don't care if they died in puddles of their own vomit. I want someone who plays from his fucking heart.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigardener on 2005-02-24 00:01 ]

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-23 3:05 pm   Permalink

I have to admit I was actually rather thrilled at hearing The Sonics on mainstream TV! I like the idea of their getting some money; they have made me so happy so many times, that if THEY made the choice to sell their song, I say go for it. They got bills to pay and kids to send to college.

Now if they were forced to do it (evil contractual BS like what happened to CCR) then I am very sad indeed.

But I will never get over the thrilling jolt of hearing The Cramps "Mama Oo Pow Pow" selling something or another (Nike?), nor The Damned doing a Miller ad (maybe the intro to their cover of Love's "Alone Again Or"?)!!! BLEW MY FREAKIN' MIND. And made my day.

And it doesn't look like either The Cramps nor the Damned have become corporate schills, bowing to The Man, man.

Mind you, it's not that I was thrilled that they were hawking Range Rovers or Nike or Miller Beer. (I hate all beer.) It was rather that America was being forced to hear some of the coolest music out there. And maybe they'll look it up. And maybe they'll go buy it. And maybe the bands will tour again soon. And maybe garage bands will start covering Cramps songs again instead of Rancid.

I mean, Esquivel's "Mini Skirt" is out there selling, um, something! Viva Esquivel!!! (That I can't tell you what the product is tells you that the ad sucks, because they obviously left no indellible mark on me, save the cool song! But I hope more people ask "Who does this song?" and they dig it up, becoming exotica fans!)

[ This Message was edited by: Formikahini on 2005-02-23 15:13 ]

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-23 3:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-23 14:36, TikiGardener wrote:

"You know what Bill's doing now, he's going for the righteous indignation dollar, that's a big dollar, a lot of people are feeling that indignation, we've done research, huge market. He's doing a good thing." Godammit, I'm not doing that, you scumbags, quit putting a godamn dollar sign on every fucking thing on this planet!" ---BILL HICKS

I think he makes an excellent point here, but using the tools of consumerism (recordings, concerts, tv appearances) to advance his anti-consumerist agenda is disingenuous at best. His schtick is an ironic feedback loop that leaves people guessing "is he kidding or what?", which I think was kind of his point. I respect and sometimes enjoy what he has said, but it always felt a little like someone driving their car to an anti-oil war protest.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
trustar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-23 4:22 pm   Permalink

My little cent and a half is that I was one of those who heard the Land Rover commercial and had to know what group that was. Even though I'm plenty old enough I had never heard of The Sonics. Where in the hell was I??????? I did the googly thing and read up on them. Then it was off on an e-bay expedition. Found me a Ultimate Sonics CD. Now I did not just fall off of the tulip truck when it comes to music. Were they that well hidden or was I just lost outside of the great northwest? Well I really don't give a crap, I found them and am enjoying them to excess.

My take on the music commercials is that if it can mass introduce some little known or forgotten music or groups, let'em go at it. It's not sacred for gods sake. It's for enjoyment. I'll never own a Mitsubishi but I do like most of the music in their ads.

This comment does not have a soundtrack.

Trustar

View Profile of trustar Send a personal message to trustar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-02-23 6:33 pm   Permalink

Just one opinion, but to me, paying lipservice to "art for art's sake" is more phony than openly doing commercial art. But obviously there's a distinction between commercial art, and doing art that later gets used *in* a commercial. Anyway, I'm probably skewed on the whole thing since I've always been maybe a little more attracted to commercial and even advertising art than to the lofty highbrow "true art" stuff.

But it's interesting to hear people's thoughts on this. Maybe your passion dictates what you tune out - one person may tune out the product and enjoy the song, while another may feel the pleasure of the song tuned out (involuntarily even) by the irritation with the product / message.

I liked that Sonics ad too. Zero recall about what car it was for, but it did pop them up again on the old mental "listening queue" next time I was grabbing stuff for the record player.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-23 7:19 pm   Permalink

If Gerry Roslie gets some record sales out if it, great. That again points back to what Moby was doing.

I personally (again your miles may vary) find it more satisfying to hear people getting exposed to them on Indy 103. But stations like 103 are rarified. There was that brief and shining moment of college radio back in the day. But even that has few shining beacons anymore. WFMU is one of the standouts. I don't know if Dave The Spazz still has his show, but it was one of the best shows to catch unsigned unknown acts that blew the doors off of anything you'll hear on mainstream media.

So long as Hicks didn't have Range Rovers on stage with him, I think he was just doing what he did best, making people laugh, and maybe think.

If it put food on the table, great. It was his job after all.

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-23 7:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-23 15:05, Formikahini wrote:

Mind you, it's not that I was thrilled that they were hawking Range Rovers or Nike or Miller Beer. (I hate all beer.) It was rather that America was being forced to hear some of the coolest music out there. And maybe they'll look it up. And maybe they'll go buy it. And maybe the bands will tour again soon. And maybe garage bands will start covering Cramps songs again instead of Rancid.

I mean, Esquivel's "Mini Skirt" is out there selling, um, something! Viva Esquivel!!! (That I can't tell you what the product is tells you that the ad sucks, because they obviously left no indellible mark on me, save the cool song! But I hope more people ask "Who does this song?" and they dig it up, becoming exotica fans!)

[ This Message was edited by: Formikahini on 2005-02-23 15:13 ]

Point well made. Thanks!

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-23 10:58 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 12:06 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-24 06:59 am   Permalink

Quote:
On 2005-02-23 22:58, filslash wrote:I thought it was very wierd to hear Lene Lovich and "New Toy," this last holiday season... I can't remember the company who had the ad, though. What I do remember is when the song came out in the 80's it was considered too radical for airplay by any commercial radio station. Oh, and hearing "Da Da Da" by German minimalists Trio on those VW commercials a few years ago was trippy...

Oh, Excellent examples, Filslash! I'd forgotten about both, but both gave me happy fits when I heard them! To think that Trio was played on national (U.S.) television!! HA!

The Stones "Start Me Up"/Bill Gates thing reminded me of the fact that that song was Microsoft's second choice. What they WANTED was REM's "It's the End of the World As We Know It," but the band gave a resounding "NO." (Of course, the band could afford to say no. Non-beggars can be choosers.)

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-24 09:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-23 22:58, filslash wrote:
I thought it was very wierd to hear Lene Lovich and "New Toy," this last holiday season... I can't remember the company who had the ad, though.

It was Target.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-24 09:23 am   Permalink

Yeah that Volkswagen spot led to my husband and me referring to any furniture sitting out on the curb as a "da da da sofa", etc.

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-24 09:28 am   Permalink

okay, this is defelecting the thread a bit, but have you all noticed that the majority of car ads recently imply that the car is MAGIC? like you drive yer freakin car around town and it magically makes people pretty or cures cancer. wtf.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-24 10:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-24 09:28, Johnny Dollar wrote:
like you drive yer freakin car around town and it magically makes people pretty or cures cancer. wtf.

Some people say advertising doesn't work, but that's a load of rich creamery butter!

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-24 11:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-24 10:40, Tiki-bot wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-02-24 09:28, Johnny Dollar wrote:
like you drive yer freakin car around town and it magically makes people pretty or cures cancer. wtf.

Some people say advertising doesn't work, but that's a load of rich creamery butter!

Okay, I've bought everything the billboards told me....

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation