FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Most bizarre music/commerical pairings?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Most bizarre music/commerical pairings?
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-24 11:18 am   Permalink

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-24 11:38 am   Permalink

Go back to bed, America, your government has figured out how it all transpired. Go back to bed America, your goverment is in control. Here, here's American Gladiators. Watch this, shut up, go back to bed America, here is American Gladiators, here is 56 channels of it! Watch these pituitary retards bang their fucking skulls together and congratulate you on the living in the land of freedom. Here you go America - you are free to do what well tell you! You are free to do what we tell you!

Bill Hicks

[ This Message was edited by: TikiGardener on 2005-02-24 17:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiGardener on 2005-02-24 17:35 ]

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-25 01:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-23 15:05, Formikahini wrote:
But I will never get over the thrilling jolt of hearing The Cramps "Mama Oo Pow Pow" selling something or another (Nike?), nor The Damned doing a Miller ad (maybe the intro to their cover of Love's "Alone Again Or"?)!!! BLEW MY FREAKIN' MIND. And made my day.

And it doesn't look like either The Cramps nor the Damned have become corporate schills, bowing to The Man, man.[ This Message was edited by: Formikahini on 2005-02-23 15:13 ]

Does anyone remember about 5 years ago Lux Interior was the spokesman for some software or computer company? I stopped dead in my tracks at a Best Buy when I saw a large, life-sized display cutout of Lux on the endcap display.

I just saw a surreal commerical with "Hootie" dressed as a country singer singing a country song for some Bacon Ranch Burger at Burger King.

Also, Marl Mothersbaugh of Devo has scored most of the Nickelodeon cartoons, and the other day I saw a show on TLC called "In-A-Fix" and Bob Mould did the title theme song.

And to all the Bill Hicks fans, they just re-issued a DVD that was only availble in the UK for years. It has the HBO special, a UK special and a Montreal Comedy Festival. If you watch it and change G Sr to GW, it could've been recorded yesterday. He was damn near prophetic! And Denis Leary owes the man's estate money for using his material...

Bill Hicks DVD

[ This Message was edited by: stuff-o-rama on 2005-02-25 01:15 ]

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-25 05:25 am   Permalink

If the resurrection of Nick Drake wasn't enough to leave me puzzled, now I'm hearing Nick Drake sound-alikes.

-Z

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-25 10:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-25 01:13, stuff-o-rama wrote:

I just saw a surreal commerical with "Hootie" dressed as a country singer singing a country song for some Bacon Ranch Burger at Burger King.

I just saw this by accident this morning and am once again appalled (it happens a lot!). It's a fine butchering of a song I first heard on the O' Brother soundtrack, "The Big Rock Candy Mountains". And yes, I'd like to hang the jerk who invented work. Or at least the jerk who put thet uber-no-talent, Shania Twain, in a commercial (isn't that her at the end?)

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-25 12:31 pm   Permalink

...worse, it's former Playboy Playmate Brooke Burke.

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-25 12:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Or at least the jerk who put thet uber-no-talent, Shania Twain, in a commercial (isn't that her at the end?)

Nah, that's uber-hot uber-model Brooke Burke at the end.

But I think that's Christina Aguilara towards the beginning...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-25 12:59 pm   Permalink

Didn't even recognize her with all those clothes on . Brooke may have fallen outta the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down, but fortunately her greatest assets were spared.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-25 2:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2005-02-25 01:13, stuff-o-rama wrote:
Does anyone remember about 5 years ago Lux Interior was the spokesman for some software or computer company? I stopped dead in my tracks at a Best Buy when I saw a large, life-sized display cutout of Lux on the endcap display.

I would sell my own grandmother for one of those.

(What exactly does our beloved Mr. Interior have to do with software anyway?! I mean, do people really go, "Oh, WOW! Lux Interior uses this brand; I wanna be cool like him, so I'll use it too!"???)

We used to have a Mr. Roboto cut-out in my attic in Austin in my punk years; he was always the life of the party.

Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto.

yse, i know this is veering off course from the thread....unless Styx did a corporate gig....which would not surprise me in the least.

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-25 2:27 pm   Permalink

I'm almost certain "Come Sail Away" must have been used by a cruise line at some time or other.

Come to think of it, Mr Roboto *was* used for a VW ad recently. It's such a stupid song it's impossible to get upset about it, though.

TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-26 12:10 pm   Permalink

I talked to a friend who is a major garage music fiend. He is pretty sure The Sonics won't see a dime of the publishing royalties. The label they were on at the time was run by a guy who negotiated some pretty heartless deals. Ian Whitcomb wrote a book about it. Said the guy was great as far as providing what you needed at the time, but when it came to royalties, you were screwed.

He also advenced his opinion that the reason we're hearing these songs in commercials is that advertising companies often call their parent companies and see if they own a music catalog. That way they get the music cheaper, and often don't have to pay publishing royalties.

He also said they save money because they no longer needed to hire jingle writers, and pay musicians to record the jingles.

I remember the song that really caught my attention and its use my scorn for iys obvious manipulation to sell product. When Phillips used "Getting Better All The Time".
And of course they had to cut the line that follwed that exhuberant statement "IT CAN'T GET NO WORSE" because that would imply that their product was crap.

See we just had a misunderstanding. I thought we lived in the U.S. of A., the United States of America. But actually we live in the U.S. of A., the United States of Advertising. Freedom of expression is guaranteed? If you've got the money!-- Bill Hicks, on being censored from "The Late Show with David Letterman"

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-26 2:20 pm   Permalink

Just an FYI, to pay someone to write and record a jingle or track for a commercial is about $20,000. To buy a piece of music starts at 50,000 and can go upwards to several million. So theres no money saved there!

I work in the business. I buy music to put on my commercials. I'm not out to ruin your memories, taint your teenage heroes, or brainwash you. I'm just trying to make a cool ad that will resonate with the people who are the target audience for that product. People seem to think there's all sorts of conspiracies afoot within the ad industry - we're out to subliminally make you 'obey' and we spend our days airbrushing the word 'sex' into the ice cubes of the product shot. Sadly, it's not half that exciting!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-26 2:21 pm   Permalink

That's not to say that the people who bought 'Lust for Life' for that cruise line aren't total idiots. They are.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-26 7:18 pm   Permalink

But if the ad agency is owned by a company that also owns a music catalog the "money" stays in house, relatively speaking, correct?

Correct me if I'm wrong... But promise me you'll wear go-go boots when you do it!

Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-26 10:09 pm   Permalink

Then there's backwoods yokels like me. I was not allowed to listen to any radio (didn't get it way at the back of the canyon) as my folks were, I don't know, hippys, Minnonites...so when we finally got cable back there, I was stunned. I think the first "song" I ever learned was a story about a man named Brady! Of course, back then, the commercials did not use a whole lot of popular songs. It was more "My Dogs Better Than Your Dog" fare. I finally ripped free of the Canyon walls and discovered a world of music. i went to evry concert I could get tickets to. Loved it. So, when I hear "I want To Break Free" for soda, it makes me feel kinda old! In fact, my 14 year old is saying "OOH! I love that song! Who sings that? She buys all of Queens stuff at Virgin next day. That I don't mind. Just makes me feel old. Or how 'bout when she hears a song I'm playing on the old Victrola and says "Cool! That song's from Moulin Rouge!" Cringe! No no, I tell her, bad girl! The song came first, then the "movie". Old again.

View Profile of Hau 'oli Tiki Send a personal message to Hau 'oli Tiki  Email Hau 'oli Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation