FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » Chicago Exotica 2005
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Chicago Exotica 2005
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-01 12:58 pm   Permalink

Sorry Smiley, but I don't trust any one who matches Byron's against Wiener's Circle. SuperDawg, Jim's Original, Wolfie's, Fluky's, Hot Doug's, Gene & Jude’s, even Portillo's beats out Byron's. SuperDawg vs. Wiener's Circle is the classic argument starter.

Manny's is worth it, but I've always preferred the beef at Duke's in Burbank over Max's. It looks like they chose which places to visit by location rather then quality.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki D
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-03-01 1:27 pm   Permalink

sorry guys, but Demon Dogs takes the cake. It's like $1.50 for a hot dog and fries!!! I lived off of those things in college.

View Profile of Tiki D Send a personal message to Tiki D      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-03-01 2:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-01 12:58, freddiefreelance wrote:
Sorry Smiley, but I don't trust any one who matches Byron's against Wiener's Circle. SuperDawg, Jim's Original, Wolfie's, Fluky's, Hot Doug's, Gene & Jude’s, even Portillo's beats out Byron's. SuperDawg vs. Wiener's Circle is the classic argument starter.

Manny's is worth it, but I've always preferred the beef at Duke's in Burbank over Max's. It looks like they chose which places to visit by location rather then quality.

Having been to Chicago only once, and never been to those places I posted that blindly. I appreciate all input.
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-01 9:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-01 12:58, freddiefreelance wrote:

I've got to agree with Freddie on all counts.

The best dogs in Chicago are at Wiener's Circle, hands down. Super Dowg blows all aother hot dog stands, coast to coast, out of the water for coolness though. Hot Doug's completes the holy trinity, but is definitely third of the three.

Wolfy's has a semi-cool sign, but their food sucks ass, Protillos is way too corporate, Byron's is just shit, and Fluky's is hyped a lot, but for no good reason. Demon Dogs is obsessed with memoribilia about the band Chicago, so they automatcally suck.

I live almost across the street from the Fluky's on Western Ave, and I'll still drive 10 miles each (in different directions) for Super Dawg or Wiener's Circle instead.

And for those of you wondering why we're all getting worked up over hot dogs of all things, all I can say is that having travelled far and wide, I won't even bother eating one in any other city but Chicago, but while here, I will take any game visitors to one of the big three at my earliest opportunity. Yes, they're THAT different here.

And Polynesian islanders loved eating them after mai tais and a long evening's hukilau.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dawn32
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-02 06:21 am   Permalink

I've got to disagree/agree. Nothings better than Gene & Jude's before a night of drinks at Hala Kahiki.

View Profile of Dawn32 Send a personal message to Dawn32  Email Dawn32     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-02 07:01 am   Permalink

i suppose i could sit back and wait for an announcement of the locations we'll probably hit, but why be patient?

i gleaned these locations from the previous exotica website ~ comments? discussion? condiments? (oops)

Kona Kai, O'Hare Marriott - i get the impression from bigbro that this bridge is river kwai'ed?

Bob Chinn's Barefoot Hawaiian, Medinah, Illinois - ?

Rock-a-Tiki (R.I.P.)

Hala Kahiki
Deliliah's
Trader Vic's
Chef Shangri-La...

veering from meaty comestibles,

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-02 07:04 am   Permalink

Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but I'm not sure of the actual location of the event. Can someone help me out?

My wife and I are going to be celebrating out 5th wedding anniversary that night, and we want to book a hotel as soon as possible and as close to the event as possible. So I just need to know where it is.

Mahalo!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-02 07:15 am   Permalink

that was what i was speculatin' about above. i think this thread will be the first place that that info is posted i'm just as curious as you is...

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-02 07:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-01 21:59, tikibars wrote:
And for those of you wondering why we're all getting worked up over hot dogs of all things, all I can say is that having travelled far and wide, I won't even bother eating one in any other city but Chicago, but while here, I will take any game visitors to one of the big three at my earliest opportunity. Yes, they're THAT different here.

I grew up in NYC & I've lived in Southern California for 20 years now so I've grown a little agnostic about my fast food (I'll even eat Chicago Pizza, even though they cut it in those tiny squares... ): I love ordering a dog from a NY street vendor with mustard, relish, red onions & 'kraut; I've spent more than one 4th of July on the Coney Island Boardwalk with a Nathan's Famous in my fist; James, if you come out to LA, we'll have to go to
Pink's (guacamole-bacon-cheese dogs are much better than they sound); I live about 2 miles from the only Chicago style Hot Dog & Italian Beef Sammich place in San Diego, Chicago on a Bun, where Jerry, the owner, flys all his Vienna Beef Weiners, beef, bread, buns & fluorescent green piccalilli relish in from Chicago.

Quote:
And Polynesian islanders loved eating them after mai tais and a long evening's hukilau.

(insert Long Pig joke here)

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-02 08:24 am   Permalink

We'll make proper announcements as soon as things are locked in and we'll have a website with all relevant info very soon as well.

We will be doing things a bit differently this year. The "Luau by the Lake" is supposed to indicate the direction we are moving in. We are working with Eddie Angel and his wife Melanie (of Los Straitjackets, Spinout Records, and the Las Vegas Grind) to put this together– along with a bunch of help from our good friends. Rather than a "Tiki Tour" with lots of running all over town, we are trying to make it a more concentrated event with fewer locations. Granted, it's not like the Oasis where it's all in one place and we don't have the Majestic Mai-Kai here. Since the Marriott was not interested in having us at the old Kona Kai, we decided to talk with our friends at Fitzgerald's who were totally into the idea of hosting a giant Luau/ Tiki party. We will have the space inside the club and outside under huge tents which will accommodate up to 1500 people (everyone bring a friend, or three). What we have been working on is an all-day Saturday affair packed with entertainment of all sorts. Lots of music of course, some hula, some cool Tiki art and artifacts on display and for sale, some tasty tropical drinks mixed by our guest mixologists and hopefully many other surprises and delights. We are thinking of it as a huge backyard Luau where we have invited all our friends and favorite musicians.

We are talking with other venues such as Trader Vic's and Hala Kahiki about having smaller events there on Friday and possibly Thursday. Chef Shangri-La has already agreed to host Sunday afternoon. If we get enough people to sign up, they will even shut down the place for us, allowing us to have our own private party. We are also looking at, and talking with a few hotels that we think will accommodate folks, offer a nice price, and will be conveniently located. Again, as soon as we have that, we'll let you know.

Fitzgerald's is located in Berwyn, just west of the city, not far from Hala Kahiki and Chef Shangri-La.

We'd love to tell you about the things we have been planning and the people we have invited to join us, but we'll have to wait until we have confirmed everything.

You have no idea how much we are looking forward to this, and how much fun we think Exotica will be. We promise, as soon as we have further updates, we'll be sure to let you know.

Mahalo,
-Duke & Amy

[ This Message was edited by: boutiki on 2005-03-02 09:03 ]

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanekila
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-02 09:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

I LOOOOOOVE Chi-town dawgs... I know about the classic SuperDawgs vs. Wiener's Circle thing. There's also the Chicago vs. NY dogs thing that will NEVER be resolved! Thing is, I like 'em both, depending on my mood. The NY style mustard/kraut (I especially love Nathan's) is classic, and satifies that saurkraut jones I get from time to time. But, I think I prefer a Chicago Super Dawg dragged "through the garden" even more. LOVE THOSE PEPPERS!

Mmmmmmm... I just had lunch, and I'm STILL salivating at the thought!!!

View Profile of Kanekila Send a personal message to Kanekila  Email Kanekila Goto the website of Kanekila     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-02 10:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-02 08:24, boutiki wrote:
Fitzgerald's is located in Berwyn, just west of the city, not far from Hala Kahiki and Chef Shangri-La.

http://horrorseek.com/horror/svengoolie/berwyn.wav

Berwyn! Svengoolie would be proud. Or not.

My wife's family reunion is the last week of June/first week of July in Ky., but I think we're taking a pass on the Mid West this year. Oh well, at least I can lend my voice to the "Closest Food to Fitzgerald's" debates. My son's partial to Buona Beef, 6745 W. Roosevelt Rd., there's better Beef Sammiches & Hot Dogs in the city, but not 2 1/2 blocks from Fitzgerald's. Does anyone know about Pete's Red Hots in Oak Park or Lucky Dog in Cicero? Those seem to be the closest Hot Dog places. I seem to remember that Salerno's,7111 Roosevelt Rd, is a decent Pizza, too.

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-02 1:57 pm   Permalink

you all lose!!! maxwell street dogs and burgers rule!!!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-02 2:03 pm   Permalink

welcome to hotdog central

tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-02 2:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-02 13:57, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
you all lose!!! maxwell street dogs and burgers rule!!!!

MAXWELL STREET?

Wake up, kahuna, they gentrified that scene a decade ago!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation