FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Pictures from the Heyday of Hawaiian Hotel Rooms
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Pictures from the Heyday of Hawaiian Hotel Rooms
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-02-28 12:47 am   Permalink

In the 1960s, many hotels in Hawaii produced postcards showing what the interiors of their rooms looked like. Besides being good advertising to the relatives of the tourists who mailed these back home, the postcards unwittingly captured a moment in Hawaiian history that doesn't exist anymore. The vintage rattan furniture, colorful bedspreads tiki lamps and tapa wall hangings are all relics of a bygone age. The only thing that remains unchanged is the view of Diamondhead out the windows.

I've been collecting these postcards for some time now and thought I'd share them with the group. There always seems to be new ones out there.

3 rooms from the Hotel King Kamehameha on the Kona Coast.

2 rooms from The Kona Inn, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii (The second one with tiki lamps)

2 from the Coco Palms Hotel, Island of Kauai.

2 from The Hanalei Plantation, Hanalei Bay, Kauai.

The Kauai Beachboy Hotel, Waipouli Beach, Kauai.

The Kauai Inn, Lihue, Kauai, (Tiki art?)

A couple from the Kauai Surf Hotel, Kalapaki Beach, Kauai (nice moai lamp!)

The Royal Lahaina Hotel, Kaanipali Beach, Maui.

The Holiday Isle Hotel, Honolulu.

2 rooms from The Islander, Waikiki

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-28 12:57 am   Permalink

What a great bed! Makes you kinda wonder what Ethel and Merl plan on doing with those Outrigger Paddles later on. Saucy! Sabu you never dissapoint! These images are great! Thanks ~

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-02-28 07:07 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-28 01:15 am   Permalink

That clam shell bathroom sink is the coolest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: ErichTroudt on 2005-02-28 01:17 ]

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exotica59
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-28 06:09 am   Permalink

This is part of what this board so great! I could look at thiese post cards all day! It's a very gray cold slushy day here in the midwest, and these pictures really brighten up my day! Thanks for your time and sharing spirit Sabu!

View Profile of exotica59 Send a personal message to exotica59  Email exotica59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-02-28 06:43 am   Permalink

Great collection Sabu. Really makes you miss the former glory of these places. At what point did everyone decide dull and generic was better for all aspects of life? *sigh*

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-28 07:17 am   Permalink

Excellent Post! (cards)

Thanks Sabu, that little 5 minute getaway was exactly what I needed on this snowy monday morning.

-Z

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-28 07:44 am   Permalink

The man in this picture is one lucky guy! Check out the girl playing the uke, think she's been playing for very long?

These are great pictures, thanks for sharing.

[ This Message was edited by: finkdaddy on 2005-02-28 07:45 ]

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-28 08:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-28 00:57, DawnTiki wrote:
What a great bed! Makes you kinda wonder what Ethel and Merl plan on doing with those Outrigger Paddles later on. Saucy! Sabu you never dissapoint! These images are great! Thanks ~

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-02-28 07:07 ]

Selector Lopaka & Puamana own that headboard, but not the side pieces or paddles.

http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=11236&forum=5

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-28 09:06 am   Permalink

I *swear* that with their beautiful view out the window, alnshelly's bedroom could fit right in with these photos! Post one, you two, for comparison's sake? I so envy that room!! (Shelley can pose in a vintage dress, looking absentmindedly out the window, with a vague but pleasant look on her face, a al hotel postcards)

Thanks for loverly mini-vacation, Sabu!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-28 09:42 am   Permalink

Great post, Sabu ! Many of those I hadn't even seen before ( the middle postcard from the King Kamehameha, the great ones from the Kauai Surf, especially the one w/ the moai lamp, and the Kauai Inn w/ nice tiki art on the wall, Islander Waikiki ). I love the gourd wall sconces & tapa / lauhala walls on the King Kamehameha postcards. I think I might have a few others... I'll check and post some pics later. Thanks for sharing these !

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-02-28 09:44 am   Permalink

Amazing! What I find interesting is the variety and quality of the outdoor furniture in these photos. Check out those incredible chairs in the first postcard!

It seems like now every place, with the exception of the most expensive hotels, uses that cheap, ugly resin furniture.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-28 10:09 am   Permalink

Nice man! Your postcard collection is amazing......

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2005-02-28 10:10 am   Permalink

Do you know why hotels no longer furnish hotel rooms to that degree?

Answer: Tiki Central Members

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2005-02-28 10:14 am   Permalink

I love the great wall decorations, but I guess they ran out of ideas and material when it cam to the beds. White sheets? No comforter? And look at that those comfy pillows!! A real neck killer.

If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-02-28 10:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2005-02-28 10:14, mrsmiley wrote:[/iAnd look at that those comfy pillows!! A real neck killer.

It's authentic polynesian. In Samoa they sleep with a piece of bamboo for a pillow! Well, they used to anyway.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation