FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Pictures from the Heyday of Hawaiian Hotel Rooms
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Pictures from the Heyday of Hawaiian Hotel Rooms
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-28 11:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-28 10:42, thejab wrote:
Quote:

[i]On 2005-02-28 10:14, mrsmiley wrote:[/iAnd look at that those comfy pillows!! A real neck killer.

It's authentic polynesian. In Samoa they sleep with a piece of bamboo for a pillow! Well, they used to anyway.

AUTHENTIC!?!? Curses, that takes all the fun out of Poly Pop!!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-02-28 11:11 am   Permalink

I'm not sure about hotel decor in Hawaii, but I know that all of the condos my parents have owned on the Big Island are artfully and tastefully decorated much in the style as you see in the postcards - bamboo and rattan everything, tropical prints, cool details (although no tikis so far). My mother, inspired in part by my style of interior decorating, has even gone so far as to pick a different tropical "theme" for each of the condos: palm trees, orchids, birds, etc. She also likes to collect local artist's paintings of the area, which is a nice touch I think.

when you rent a vacation rental, it's kind of guessy how it's going to be decorated, as it depends on the individual owner (and you certainly are risking quality furnishings if rented to a disrespectful person who steals or thrashes them); but most units have extensive pictures online of the furnishings so if you are looking for that kind of decor (it would be new and retro at most, but most unlikely not vintage), you can find it.

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-28 11:59 am   Permalink

I recently watched Elvis' "Blue Hawaii" and wondered aloud why the hotels aren't as cool as they used to be. I wonder if the Coco Palms had survived if would've stayed traditional or renovated? I wish I could stay in a place like that. My Aunt has a condo in Maui and it has a 80's Miami Vice kind of vibe. Lots of chrome and mirrors. Thanks for sharing those postcards. Too bad you can't complie them in a book!

[ This Message was edited by: stuff-o-rama on 2005-02-28 12:00 ]

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-02-28 12:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-28 11:59, stuff-o-rama wrote:
I wonder if the Coco Palms had survived if would've stayed traditional or renovated?

FYI: The Coco Palms is shooting to re-open in 2007.
http://www.coco-palms.com/articles/restore.html

Maybe now is the time to start flooding them emails prompting for a traditional style.

Update:
Excerpt from another article (http://starbulletin.com/2004/10/10/news/story6.html):

Weiser, a South Carolina developer who lives part-time in Princeville, wants to spend $200 million to rebuild the Coco Palms to look the way it did at the peak of its popularity.

"It won't be absolutely the same. The rooms will be larger than they were in the 1950s," Weiser said in an interview. "But the buildings will look the same, the lobby will be the same, everything will look as much as possible like the original."

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi on 2005-02-28 12:23 ]

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-28 3:16 pm   Permalink

Simply amazing collection of photos! Thanks for posting these!

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-28 6:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I *swear* that with their beautiful view out the window, alnshelly's bedroom could fit right in with these photos! Post one, you two, for comparison's sake? I so envy that room!! (Shelley can pose in a vintage dress, looking absentmindedly out the window, with a vague but pleasant look on her face, a al hotel postcards)

A few years ago we stayed at the Breakers hotel in Waikiki, it had this cool James bond vibe going on. The rooms sliding glass door opened to this cool Japanese tea house, the kitchenette was hiding behind a soji screen. The room had nelson bubble lamps. It was really something. I wish I had a picture.

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-01 09:20 am   Permalink

*PER-fect*, alnshelly!!

That's eXACTly what I was thinking!!
Am I not right - that it goes right in with the rest of the postcards?!

Thank you for the shots and indulging my whim

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-01 09:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-28 18:19, Alnshely wrote:
Shelley can pose in a vintage dress, looking absentmindedly out the window, with a vague but pleasant look on her face, a al hotel postcards)

[/quote]
My gosh--I think I can see Diamond Head in the background!!! (or maybe it is a spot on my glasses?)
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-03-01 10:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-28 18:19, Alnshely wrote:A few years ago we stayed at the Breakers hotel in Waikiki, it had this cool James bond vibe going on. The rooms sliding glass door opened to this cool Japanese tea house, the kitchenette was hiding behind a soji screen. The room had nelson bubble lamps. It was really something. I wish I had a picture.

I stayed at the Breakers once as well. I loved their staff and grounds, but our room was a little musty smelling (I guess that's fairly common in a tropical climate) and after we saw the tikis on the grounds of the Hawaiiana hotel down the street we switched to that hotel. But I would still recommend the Breakers for the old-style atmosphere and staff. And I love their beachbum logo, which used to be on the sign on the front of the hotel.

This hotel, along with the Hawaiiana Hotel in Waikiki, and Uncle Billy's Hilo Bay hotel in Hilo, are probably the last of the small older hotels in Hawaii with some original decor left.

[ This Message was edited by: thejab 2009-01-12 16:42 ]

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakiTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-03-01 11:05 am   Permalink

Excellent!

Thanks Sabu,

Kind of makes me tear up with nostalgia.

View Profile of FreakiTiki Send a personal message to FreakiTiki  Goto the website of FreakiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-01 11:13 am   Permalink

Here's a few more :

The Breakers, with the lamp that Al mentioned :

Coco Palms, Kauai:

2 from the Halekulani :

Hotel Hana Maui:

Kauai Inn:

2 from the Kona Inn:

Napili Kai Beach Club:

Niumalu Hotel:

Royal Lahaina:

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exotica59
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-01 11:30 am   Permalink

I Think Stuff-o-rama is right! These post cards would make one heck of a cool coffee table type book. I could look at these pictures all day! I always have such a bitter sweet feeling each time I look at the by gone days.

View Profile of exotica59 Send a personal message to exotica59  Email exotica59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-04 2:27 pm   Permalink

Puamana - Thanks so much for posting those. I didn't realized we had another collector on the board!

I can see I've got a lot more collecting to do. I've never seen most of those. I especially like the tiki and fish cutouts on the balcony of the Napili Kai, the furniture in the Niumalu, and the fish wall art in the Kona Inn. The Breakers room is breathtaking as well. Thanks again. Maybe we should work on a book together.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-04 6:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-01 11:30, exotica59 wrote:
I Think Stuff-o-rama is right! These post cards would make one heck of a cool coffee table type book.

Some of these can be found in Charles Phoenix's and Fred Basten's "LEIS, LUAUS AND ALOHA" -The Lure of Hawaii in the Fifties", a nice coffe table book full of vintage brochure, postcard and other tourist imagery.

A good example of how important DISTRIBUTION is in publishing, this book, like most titles published in Hawaii, has not been noticed here much. It's published by Island Heritage publishing.

The Kona Inn was always one of my fave too, not just because of the Fish wallhanging and the Ku lamp bases, but because of the modernist quadruple Tiki face painting. There are other postcards with cool modern Tiki art in the rooms...to think that all those got tossed upon renovation, ...sigh.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-04 7:14 pm   Permalink

Kitty and I are going to spend a few days in Honolulu next month. I am intrigued by Alnshely's and Jab's remarks about the Breakers and The Hawaiiana. Are there any room types you (or anyone else) would recommend? The Alii rooms at the Hawaiiana look very nice with the private balconies but they seem a bit spendy. The garden view rooms seem nice. Just how musty was it at the Breakers? A friend of mine recommended it but didn't recall a musty problem although it has been a while since he stayed there. Any info would be appreciated.

Also thanks to Sabu and the rest of you for sharing these fabulous pictures.

[ This Message was edited by: mrtikibar on 2005-03-04 19:20 ]

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation