FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Pictures from the Heyday of Hawaiian Hotel Rooms
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Pictures from the Heyday of Hawaiian Hotel Rooms
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-04 7:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-04 14:27, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Puamana - Thanks so much for posting those. I didn't realized we had another collector on the board!

Ha ha - Sabu you so funny!

Whatever happened to Sabu and Puamana's "Tiki History"?? You guys were really on to something! Folks, I you haven't seen what these two can do together, check out these old threads. Some of the photo links are down, but you still get the idea:

Bali H'ai at the Beach, Lake Ponchartrain, LA

The Hawaiian, Long Beach, CA

The Kalua Room, Seattle, WA

Heddy's Hawaiian Bamboo Room, Echo Lake, PA

The Tahitian Viullage, Downey, CA

See what I mean? We need to start a petition to Sabu and Puamana: BRING BACK TIKI HISTORY!!
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-03-07 08:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-04 19:14, mrtikibar wrote:
Kitty and I are going to spend a few days in Honolulu next month. I am intrigued by Alnshely's and Jab's remarks about the Breakers and The Hawaiiana. Are there any room types you (or anyone else) would recommend? The Alii rooms at the Hawaiiana look very nice with the private balconies but they seem a bit spendy. The garden view rooms seem nice. Just how musty was it at the Breakers? A friend of mine recommended it but didn't recall a musty problem although it has been a while since he stayed there. Any info would be appreciated.

After switching to the Hawaiiana we stayed in one of their Alii rooms. It was very nice and the balcony overlooked one of their 2 pools. I love having a balcony when I travel so I usually splurge on one. But the garden rooms at the Hawaiiana seemed very nice too and had that old-style feel with the wooden shutters on the windows so you can have ventilation and some privacy too. Those rooms had more of a classic feel to them then the Alii rooms. There are several tikis on the grounds at the Hawaiiana which is a nice bonus.

But if you are on a budget the Breakers is a great choice. Sometimes a musty smell is removed just by replacing the carpet and since about 5 years have passed since I stayed there it is likely that they have removed the musty smell in the room we stayed in.

Both hotels have classic atmosphere, have friendly staff, and are in a great location just a block or 2 from the beach in the heart of Waikiki.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-07 2:59 pm   Permalink

Thanks Jab,
Coincidentally, I just received confirmation today on a room at The Pacific Beach Hotel. They are offering a pretty nice internet discount but I am going to cancel and switch to
either The Breakers or The Hawaiiana. Besides the old hotel style I prefer that part of the Waikiki district. Or at least I did many moons ago when I last visited.

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-07 6:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-07 14:59, mrtikibar wrote:
Besides the old hotel style I prefer that part of the Waikiki district. Or at least I did many moons ago when I last visited.

...and it still is cool vintage, but sadly will be no longer. According to Dug Miller, Lewers Street is blocked off and all the great old cafeterias, rinkydink tourist shops and 60s hotels are empty, the whole block slated for demolition/renovation.

SUPPOSEDLY the Hawaiiana and Breakers blocks will not be touched, but it MIGHT be the death knell to Chuck's Steakhouse, the last dusty old Polynesian styled eatery in Waikiki!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-03-07 8:13 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2005-03-07 18:51, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

SUPPOSEDLY the Hawaiiana and Breakers blocks will not be touched, but it MIGHT be the death knell to Chuck's Steakhouse, the last dusty old Polynesian styled eatery in Waikiki!

Oh no! I hope Chuck's survives. I loved that place.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-08 2:18 pm   Permalink

Back in about 1963 I stayed with my family
at The Reef Towers on Lewers St. It was New Years Eve and we had heard Hawaiians loved to celebrate with a bang, so we bought a
sack full of fireworks and drove to the far side of Oahu to let them off in a safe, orderly manner.
We returned to the hotel, and being a bratty little kid, I decided to throw a few cracker balls off the balcony to the sidewalk. It was fun to watch the pedos jump and most were good natured, giving me the hang loose sign.
Dad however thought I'd get us kicked out of the hotel so that was that. Until...all hell broke loose.
As the night wore on, Lewers St and all of Waikiki turned into a non-stop galaxy of fireworks. Roman candles, bottle rockets and
every conceivable pyrotechnic device were shooting from every floor of every hotel. My brother's friend, standing on our lanai, had a firecracker, dropped from a few floors above, land his breast pocket and blow a hole in his aloha shirt. Moments later, one of those irratic swirling things flew in and landed under a bed. The carpet was slightly scorched before we pounded out the intruding missle with a towel. At that point we closed the glass door and watched the spectacle continue for hours. Fire-engine sirens were almost as non-stop as the fireworks. Never seen anything like it.

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-22 09:57 am   Permalink

Here's a few more views of Hawaii hotel rooms, from some old brochures:

Maui Lu :

Waikikian :

Hawaiiana Hotel:

Halekulani:

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-03-22 10:53 am   Permalink

Nice pictures puamana! You gotta love a room with a red Ericofon. And I've always wondered what the rooms at the Hawaiiana looked like in the past.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-22 1:10 pm   Permalink

I have a set of those white cut out masks from the Waikikian, from Dug Miller. He dug up the store that got all the leftover furniture after the Waikikian closed, it was in Hilo of all places. You can see them on his webpage. The Dressers were great, they had the amazing A-frame lobby carved into the drawer handles, I only got a small one.

These masks are simple thin wood cutouts, but they are special to me, because I got to appreciate them in action when I stayed at the Waikikian the year before it closed:

Laying on my bed in a darkened room I had the view towards the silhouetted screen doors that held the masks in a few sections, and marveled at how the flickering light of the torches in the Waikikian gardens would make a haunting shadow play of the Tiki faces on the shoji screens, all accompanied by the subtle sounds of Arthur Lyman's Taboo on my little stereo. It was perfection.

Then I got up and went to the Tahitian Lanai to see the oldtimers play their Hapa Haole swing...

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki on 2005-03-22 13:14 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-22 1:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-22 13:10, bigbrotiki wrote:
...Laying on my bed in a darkened room I had the view towards the silhouetted screen doors that held the masks in a few sections, and marveled at how the flickering light of the torches in the Waikikian gardens would make a haunting shadow play of the Tiki faces on the shoji screens, all accompanied by the subtle sounds of Arthur Lyman's Taboo on my little stereo. It was perfection.

Then I got up and went to the Tahitian Lanai to see the oldtimers play their Hapa Haole swing...

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki on 2005-03-22 13:14 ]

And that is what it is all about....

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-22 4:11 pm   Permalink

Hey, I have that wooden wall plaque in the 2nd picture of the Waikikian. Didn't know it was half of a pair.

[ This Message was edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-09-18 00:33 ]

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-26 3:13 pm   Permalink

Here's a few more recent postcard finds:

Another one from the Breakers, on Beach Walk in Waikiki:

Hale Pua Nui, also on Beach Walk in Waikiki:

The Sea Shore Hotel, on Koa Ave. in Waikiki:

Hawaiian Regent in Waikiki :

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel on the Big Island:

Kauai Surf at Kalapaki Beach:

Kauai Beachboy:

The Kaanapali Hotel, Maui:

[ This Message was edited by: puamana 2005-09-05 11:36 ]

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nuimaleko
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-27 2:10 pm   Permalink

Thanks you so much for this post. I just love most of these rooms. I lived in Hawaii in the 90s and many of my friends's homes were decorated in very similar style to these hotel rooms. (a hell of a lot more attractive than the blandness of the hotels I stayed in while looking for a home) Although they are much larger than the rooms in an average Hawaiian home. Rooms are tiny there because people live most of their lives outdoors. Simple furniture with just a few tropical touches or Asian inspired design eliments, nothing over the top or too "Hawaiian". Fresh flowers, crank windows open to the breeze and doves calling outside during the day and geckos barking at night. God, I miss it.

View Profile of nuimaleko Send a personal message to nuimaleko  Email nuimaleko Goto the website of nuimaleko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 11:42 am   Permalink

Here's a few more recent finds :

Sheraton-Maui Hotel, Kaanapali Beach:

Hotel King Kamehameha:

Poipu Beach Hotel, Kauai:

2 from the Hanalei Plantation, Kauai:

Kona Magic Sands, Kailua-Kona:

exotica59
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-06 07:47 am   Permalink

I love this thread! Thanks Sabu and puamana for sharing your wonderful pictures!
Looking at this thread again today really got my tiki juices flowing through my veins again. Thanks for the inspiration!

View Profile of exotica59 Send a personal message to exotica59  Email exotica59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation