FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Sneaky Tiki San Francisco NOT OPEN! July 2006
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Sneaky Tiki San Francisco NOT OPEN! July 2006
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-07 5:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-07 16:37, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-03-07 14:59, mrsmiley wrote:

Yes , like "Otto Von Stroheim's Sneaky Tiki"

I know YOUR 'tiki' isn't sneaky thanks to midnight skinny dipping at the Oasis a few years back!!! tee hee i hope this isn't too much info!
What's so sneaky about Otto's Tiki anyway?...and how would you know?

If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-03-07 5:06 pm   Permalink

great. now I've got "midnight at the Oasis" stuck in my head, among other things...

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-07 5:10 pm   Permalink

What's this about Otto opening a Punk Tiki bar in Philidelphia?

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-07 5:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-07 17:06, dangergirl299 wrote:
great. now I've got "midnight at the Oasis" stuck in my head, among other things...

midnight at the Oasis, sing your tiki to bed!!!

[ This Message was edited by: mrsmiley on 2005-03-07 17:48 ]

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
limptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-07 10:41 pm   Permalink

I wonder how many more tiki bars SF can absorb? Hopefully this one won't have heavy metal blaring like my last try at the north beach "tiki" spot. Come to think of it my recent visit to the Lucky Tiki down south was also plagued by loud metal.

View Profile of limptiki Send a personal message to limptiki  Email limptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-07 10:47 pm   Permalink

I heard Otto is getting out of tiki and into Beanie Babies...

first rule of BBFC...

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2005-03-08 06:54 am   Permalink

I don't know where this was but apparantly "Joe" had a Sneaky Tiki.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-08 10:21 am   Permalink

Back in the good old days (late 70s, early 80's) there wasn't much down there. Industrial spaces and offices. Some artist studios .( the starving type ) and performance spaces. Worth your life to take the wrong turn. At night it was a counter-culture no man's land and Hamburger Mary's was a kind of starting point for your exciting evening activities. Very gay, but not to the exclusion of everyone else. You could even get a parking place down there back then (if you had a car which no one did). While strolling the area in the wee hours you would see home made S&M parlors and secret bath houses and lots of guys with big mustaches wearing black leather biker attire. Then the yuppie infestation started. Old warehouses became "showplaces" and everyone trying to "buy" cool moved their offices there so of course it no longer was. Later the tech thing happened and people were suddenly millionaires. the atmosphere died

There were a few hold outs, but they didn't really make it either. First the artsy community got pushed to the east bay, but people who didn't grab hold of something soon scattered to Sacramento, Los Angeles, Seattle and who knows where.

Just my take on things, but probably pretty right on. Not that some of the millionaires don't have the right stuff, but it just ain't the same.

Still, a new tiki bar is always a beautiful thing.

[ This Message was edited by: spy-tiki on 2005-03-08 10:32 ]

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-08 10:34 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: spy-tiki on 2005-03-09 20:53 ]

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-09 7:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-08 10:21, spy-tiki wrote:
Back in the good old days (late 70s, early 80's) there wasn't much down there. Industrial spaces and . . . . performance spaces.

SpyTiki:

You forgot the Gift Center. That was the San Francisco of my pre-tiki college days (heading over the bridge from Cal).

I frequently hung out in that neck of the woods in the mid-80s, where I became a regular at DNA.

True, it was the location of Many, many after-hour underground clubs and, at the time, another more established restaurant.

The place where the mustached gentlemen were going (after hanging on Ringold Street) was named "the Eagle."

The times we had!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-09 7:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-07 22:41, limptiki wrote:
I wonder how many more tiki bars SF can absorb?

I think the saturation point will not occur until there are twice as many tiki bars as there are Irish pubs.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-24 1:55 pm   Permalink

I just heard from someone "in the know" that this bar is owned by the same guy who owns Lime and several other bars in SF. Also it won't be all that "tiki" by our definition.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-24 2:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-24 13:55, cynfulcynner wrote:

I just heard from someone "in the know" that this bar is owned by the same guy who owns Lime and several other bars in SF. Also it won't be all that "tiki" by our definition.

Maybe that is the "sneaky" part-that it isn't "Tiki".

martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-07-15 11:31 am   Permalink

Sneaky Tiki Sneaky Peeky:

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-07-15 12:19 pm   Permalink

Oh, this is the new sports bar we were talking about the other night...

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation