FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tikimeculas Stuff
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
Tikimeculas Stuff
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-08 9:58 pm   Permalink

Hot damn Andy, someone lit a fire under you.

That a beauty. Hang that one on your wall.

Absolutely top notch chipping there my friend.

I've got my marq piece drawn out... I needed a day to recover from the canoes and get the studio in order. Down to business Wednesday.

As always, good to shoot the breeze with ya on the tele, we'll raise a drink to ya on the beach in Lauderdale.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-09 3:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks Harro, I'll see what i can do about the Pics?

Lake, Thanks. Man i wish I could make Hukilau this year, but the kids have to come first. Take lots of pics for me.

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-09 4:29 pm   Permalink

Beautiful work. I think I like this more than the traditional U'u, cause it's got a lot more tiki action happening. I had never seen this version until you posted your first progress shots, but then someone posted some scans from a vintage Poly-pop supply catalogue a few days later that had this exact design in it. I'll post the link when I can figure out where the hell I saw it!

I can't wait for the Austral Island piece - I don't recall ever seeing anything attempted in that style on TC? The paddles I've seen here in NZ are some of the most amazing artifacts I have ever laid eyes on.

Once you knock that off, you should try a Mangaian piece (which is very closely related stylistically) if you're looking for a new challenge:

Side-by-side comparison of Mangaian & Austral pieces:

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-09 8:51 pm   Permalink

OW! That's so perty, it hurts! NICE work, TM!

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MooneyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 11:44 am   Permalink

Aloha Tikimecula!
That is another one of your Excellent carvings!!! Love the detail, Aloha, Mooney

View Profile of MooneyTiki Send a personal message to MooneyTiki  Email MooneyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-11 6:06 pm   Permalink

I noticed it's "Share you Workspace" month. So here's mine.....

I built this about 2 years ago just to have a space to carve.....Actually my wife was getting pissed about all the saw dust in the garage

Come on in.

Standing outside looking in.

Here is my ever growing chisel collection, and my work bench with the unfinished Austral islands Paddle.

and more of the same.

The wall of crap....er i mean storage.

Bandsaw, table saw, Planer , Joiner, Sander, Extra thatch, Foredom, Wood stash, Chainsaws, Yard tools.

This next pic is of all my templates, any time try to do a new piece i try and make a template. I make them out of poster board, that way when i want to make another club/whatever of the same shape it saves me time.

This is my favorite toy. It's a Tormek sharpening system.
www.tormek.com

That's it. now let's see yours.

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-04-11 6:56 pm   Permalink

Dude, you are a machine.
GROG want the ceremonial Marquesan war club.

Incredible. A thing of beauty.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-11 9:20 pm   Permalink

What a gem she came out most beautiful.

Man all these tropical setting some of you guy live in.
And I'm stuck in the cold rain.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-11 9:30 pm   Permalink

Tmec. Yours is an Awesome work space. Seems that your tool collection is growing by leaps and bounds. I'm Envious. Beautiful. Actually I owe you a lono I believe from a piece of Koa you gave me for that purpose.
Cheers,
Benz

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-12 2:10 pm   Permalink

That is the cleanest, most organized monstrosity of a work space that I...wish I had!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-12 5:29 pm   Permalink

Drool.

I'll be over next weekend to borrow a few things.

I see you've got some other fun projects you've been hiding, from what I can see they look good.

Can't wait to see the paddle when you get it done.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-13 1:01 pm   Permalink

Grog, Thanks! Although you will have to get in line. I think yer #5 in line for that one.

Seek, Thanks Man, Not quite Tropical here yet, but I'm trying my best to make it that way. 95 here today.

Benzo, Yep I've been waiting patiently for that Koa Lono. But I wont rush ya

Surfin, Thanks. Took me a long while to get it that way. The shed is still is not finished, need to make a step to go in and finish a few more things on the outside. I originally wanted to carve all the trim (Still might someday).

Lake, come on over I'll let you borrow anything in there.....But you have to leave a Deposit. and no 2-party out of state checks, learned the hard way on that one

off to go carve on that paddle for a while, I'll put a few progress shots up tonight.

tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-13 7:13 pm   Permalink

Got about 4 hours on it today,

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-13 7:24 pm   Permalink

Andy, You are one amazing artist! Your shop rocks in a big way. I sure hope you can make it to some more Chops sometime, I would really like to pick your brain some more. I see you have some big logs there too!! Yes, Yes!!! I've got a Chop mug for you...can you PM me as to where to send it?

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-13 9:50 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Babalu. I think I'll be at the one in a few weeks, Trying anyway?

Paipo, Thanks on the marq piece. This Austral paddle is kicking my butt. I love the shot of that hook in Pacific Encounters, That is where i got the idea to try the paddle. that is a GREAT BOOK! Please let me know if you remember where you saw that supply catalog.

I have seen pics of the Mangaian paddles also, The detail work is really close. I think i have even seen in some of the big auction house catalogs, calling them (Mangain) Austral Islands. Looks like they did a lot of pearl shell trading with the Austral Islands so perhaps a carver from Austral jumped ship in Mangareva?

Here is another paddle i found, They are calling it an Austral. I think it is Mangaian? Kinda funny looking.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation