FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Kevin & Jody's Tiki Room collectables for Disneyland 50th (UPDATE Tiki Drummer & shirt order dates!)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
Kevin & Jody's Tiki Room collectables for Disneyland 50th (UPDATE Tiki Drummer & shirt order dates!)
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-02 2:31 pm   Permalink

well, you're almost right. the color difference is actually the LP disc. it clear gold or yellow as opposed to black vinyl.

if you call the disney direct online number, i think you can still reserve one of the 'limited' editions which will ship out towards the end of may.

i hope the sales interest is enough on this stuff to merit more attention from disney. a haunted mansion 4 cd set a'la the Pet Sounds Box would be nice.

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-02 2:41 pm   Permalink

Oh, there's a vinyl record?

What's on that one? Anyone know were I can get that digitized so I can play it? Or is the program material duplicated on the CD's?

View Profile of BarkerBird Send a personal message to BarkerBird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-02 3:10 pm   Permalink

it's actually a reprint of one of my favorite LP's of all time. "Walt Disney Takes You to Disneyland"! it was released in 1957 as a gatefold and was one of the first records released on the newly created Disneyland Records label. i'm not sure if this reprint is a gatefold as well.

you can actually find a cd version of it for sale at the cd kiosks at disneyland.

unless you're a dead set on the book (enclosed also with the box set), you really don't need to shell out the $125+ clams for this set. i'm sure the tracks themselves will be all over the net in the next few days and the LP, well, i think your money's better spent on an original version of the LP. that should run you around $50 - $100 on ebay.

i will say the record is cool and if you've never heard it, i envy you...you're in for a treat!

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-02 3:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Round one of the anniversary artifacts are now on sale:
http://disney.store.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Merchant_Id=2&Section_Id=14744

Of interest to some of you might be the 50 year anniversary ukulele. (Enter 95464 in the search box of the above address) It is a bit pricey for me - $250. At that price I'd expect to get a leather instead of vinyl case.

I think they should have done a Polynesian Tiki Room version of the ukulele, rather than this Mouskateer version. I might have paid $250 for one of those. They could have also then hired King Kukulele to play such ukulele in front of the actual Enchanted Tiki Room attraction.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-02 3:36 pm   Permalink

Not to sound snotty or anything, but I pay for my music.

This is a great set, and I want to support it. Especially since I do want them to come out with more things like this in the future.

TWDC puts food in my baby's mouth. I actually think this CD set is a bargain.

View Profile of BarkerBird Send a personal message to BarkerBird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-02 3:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-02 15:36, BarkerBird wrote:
Not to sound snotty or anything, but I pay for my music.

This is a great set, and I want to support it. Especially since I do want them to come out with more things like this in the future.

TWDC puts food in my baby's mouth. I actually think this CD set is a bargain.

well, i buy anything that comes out of vintage stuff. from what i've read, most of this has already been out. that's why i have less interest in the cd's than the book.

i've been collecting disneyland stuff na despecially soundtracks from the park for over twenty years. in fact, much of what i have was acquired years before there was any general interest in this kind of thing.

not to get too off topic, i have mixed feelings on the internet/music issue. i never download new music when there's a new release for no other reason than i want the packaging and i don't want to rob the artist or label. on the other hand, when material is not released because there is a lack of interest by the label, then i feel it's fair game. i get my hands on any beatles music, any way i can. at the same time, i buy every legit release as well.

to each his own!

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-02 4:06 pm   Permalink

tiki1963 -
a lot of the material has been remastered & taken from better sources. I.e. - all the Mansion stuff has been totally redone in stereo from the original masters (unlike the 30th annversary version). That's why I'm excited about the set...

If you really want to get anal about the details & all the work that went into this set, read this interview with Randy Thornton, who produced the set
here.

[ This Message was edited by: Tangaroa 2008-06-25 20:18 ]

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-02 4:46 pm   Permalink

That's great, Tangeroa. I can't wait to pick mine up tomorrow!

tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-02 5:37 pm   Permalink

tang...hmmm...that stuff sounds interesting. i wish they'd leave off anything post 1975. i really don't need pooh or buzz lightyear when there's so much unreleased vintage stuff that should be covered first. i guess they feel they have to cover their bases.

i do like that picture of randy thornton! why not throw him into our bounce house pintabulous death-match?

did you pick up any of the new merch? pricey, but thoses monorails are the coolest thing i've ever seen released. i just got the set of two.

i like the ticket booths too, but i'm saving my pennies til the next batch gets released.

BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-02 5:44 pm   Permalink

I like that it has new stuff too. Disneyland's not a hermetically sealed place in a bottle.

We may go overboard on the nostalgia trip, as Tiki Centralites. But Disneyland is for the young. I'm glad to have new stuff all the time in the park, and I'll be awful glad to be able to share this album with my daughter. This disc set is a good mix of old and new.

I like that!

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-02 5:51 pm   Permalink

BB - you already know how I feel about the old stuff - so I won't rehash that again!

I would like to hear a full stereo flowthrough of Circarama, however....

And yes - I knew you would have a special place in your heart for that photo, tiki1963! Good info though - looks like they had a good guy do this one. The book looks like it will be good as well....

I'd love to get that Tomorrowland ticket booth - but it was all I could do to wrangle a copy of the limited CD set... I'm saving my pennies for the Barker Bird, Host Shirt, A-Frame (that's right BB - THE DAMN A FRAME!!!!!), Tangaroa lamp, etc... This is gonna be tough to do with a baby on the way. Why couldn't the 50th have been last year?

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-02 5:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-02 17:51, Tangaroa wrote:
Good info though - looks like they had a good guy do this one. The book looks like it will be good as well....

I'd love to get that Tomorrowland ticket booth - but it was all I could do to wrangle a copy of the limited CD set... I'm saving my pennies for the Barker Bird, Host Shirt, A-Frame (that's right BB - THE DAMN A FRAME!!!!!), Tangaroa lamp, etc...

Randy IS a good guy. Did you catch the part of the interview when he admitted he did this at home? This is a guy with a love of the material, he produced this project as a moonlight gig. He's a special guy.

Hey, I'm prolly getting that A-frame too, and maybe some tikis. And of course that shirt and my namesake.

Yep, it's the big bucks. But I'll be giving my cast member 35% discount some workout this year. (All of y'all can envy me now.)

tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-02 6:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

This is gonna be tough to do with a baby on the way. Why couldn't the 50th have been last year?

whoa! another one? man, yer keepin' yer lady busy!

the info booth and the tomorrowland booths are extremely cool. some of those booths in my photo collection should be made, like the space station X-1 space capsule booth!

BB- i whole heartedly understand that Disneyland was meant to expand and change. i just think that when you're releasing things for collectors, especially when the prices for said items begin to rise, understand who your selling to and cater to them. in other words, i believe they should release the material based on timeline and theme rather than just theme. i dunno, hearing something like the original "Rocket to the Moon" next to Buzz Lightyear ride eats into the historical vibe of the set. IMO

BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-02 9:22 pm   Permalink

Well, you DID say you wanted stuff that's never been released before! How 'bout Buzz Lightyear!

I understand that people haven't yet developed (and may never) the fondness for Buzz Lightyear that they have for that annoying elevator music loop from the Peoplemover.

But I see this set as being about 50 years of Disneyland. Rather than the first 20 years of Disneyland, hermetically sealed. Yeah, new stuff gets greater leeway, and is next to the fondly remembered hit attractions of the past. The flops are excized, and the current attractions get kind of a pass, and don't have to prove worthy of inclusion. Lame old rides that broke down or are unmemorable remain excluded. There is no tribute to Phantom Boats, Midget Autopia, or the Hall of Aluminum Fame. Nor do we visit the Wizard of Bras or Aunt Jemimah's pancake house, or Rocket Rods or Light Magic.

It's the old and New of Disneyland. And thanks to modern technology, you can always burn yourself you own alternate version, and tell Buzz to take a hike.

tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-02 10:49 pm   Permalink

well BB...i get ya.

as a disney-nazi purist, i suppose it's hard to consider recent history as part of disneyland...like it or not.

i will say that i'm not a COMPLETE crumegeon...i do think Indy and Tower of Terror are fantastic attractions with all of the flair and spirit what Disneyland started with. (of course, i wish they wetre based on Disney properties!)

and hey, i won't act offended in regards to your Peoplemover comment...cause that stuff ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation