FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » A-A… Some Stuff I'm Working On
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
A-A… Some Stuff I'm Working On
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-26 5:24 pm   Permalink

Hahahaha these guys will do that to ya - the whiley little buggers. I cant wait to see it man

(Im still blown away by the fact you do it in a park. I know I couldnt motivate myself to do that)

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-27 7:59 pm   Permalink

Hey AA,
This is an awesome thread – heaps of great pics, advice and technique tips (oh and a hell of a lot of awesome tikis too!) – I’ve gained a lot of knowledge - as I’m sure many others have too - in order to have a crack at a carving myself. Keep up the brilliant work.
Cheers,
Harro.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-27 10:06 pm   Permalink

Hey-ya hewey. Yeah, the problem is the more you detail 'em, the whylier they get. As far as the park goes, It feels pretty natural because I never carve indoors or in the garage, even at home on the weekends. You should try it!

Harro, welcome to the board, and thanks for the comps. If you want to learn how to carve this is the right place. Get yourself a log and whatever tools you can muster. Have a go at it, start a new thread, post lots of pics and ask lots of dumb questions. We will answer them all because it makes us feel smart. Eventually you'll run out of questions and everyone will think you've got all the answers. By then you'll be carving outrageous tikis and all of your non-tiki friends will think maybe you're onto something after all. Good luck, and I for one will help out however I can. I know from experience that everyone else here will too.

Cheers,

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-28 05:48 am   Permalink

The Recripro-carver strikes again. Aaron I'm Loving the added detail to our Lono. Funny how different tools can change your perception of "Finished, Done, complete, huh? (Said with a smirky smile);)

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-28 10:13 pm   Permalink

Yes, Ben I know what you mean. I could go on & on and put beautiful Moko all over this tiki. But I already blew my first deadline (my neighbor's husband's birthday), so now she wants it for Christmas. And there's no way I'm going to keep this thing going that long. So, here's the plan: I'm detailing the sides of the uprights to match the fronts, then I'm going to carve the dreads into braids (gotta do it), and last I'm going to give the base a pebbly texture using the ball shaped burr. And that is IT. Honest...

-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-09 10:27 pm   Permalink

Aaron came by today.. so I got to see Lono up close and personal... HE IS AWESOME!!! Even better in person. Great job Aaron.. someday I hope to get close...

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-16 4:42 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Dave. I had a great time talking tiki, tools & home brew. We'll definitely hook up again sometime, maybe have a litle carving session. Mahalo for having me over - I really enjoyed seeing your tikis in person.

Aaron

-Pablo Picasso

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-16 4:44 pm   Permalink

Here’s some further advancements in my evolution of Lono…

The cracking in this log is advancing at an alarming rate. I showed this one to my neighbor, who commissioned the piece. She seemed a little iffy on the huge crack down the front, so I offered to carve her another instead at a later date using something more stable. This one I’ll keep as our own “Ohana Tiki”. I think the cracking will look okay, as I’m going to use an aged look for the stain & finish. It should all tie in together. All the same, I think I’ll go through my stockpile and convert all the cracked looking logs into firewood. Carving wood takes time, finding wood is not really a problem. If you are going to put lots of time into a carving, you should probably use the best material you can find.

I’ve finally taken the oft given advice of doing a small sample piece to test the stain. The Red Mahogany stain on the left will be for the body & face, the hair tie, and the middle parts of the headpiece. The Ebony stain on the right will be for the uprights, hair, frame around the eyes, and the pedestal. The textured tile triangles will go in as eyes, inset down into the wood.

Hopefully I’ll be able to post some pics of the staining process in a week or so, then final “Finished Projects” pics soon after, right before my Ohana & I leave for Maui on vacation to rest, relax, & charge up the ole’ “A-A” batteries.

Cheers!

A-A

-Pablo Picasso

Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-16 5:32 pm   Permalink

AA,

I've noticed that the wetter you keep the log, the less likley it is to crack. So when it's not raining I hose it down on a daily basis. Just the opposite of what I originally thought.

http://www.NiceFishy.com

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmCityTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-16 5:42 pm   Permalink

Superb detail and style is the sweetest I've seen in some time ( other that Ben of course) Thanks for sharing Personally I like the checking and cracks it tends to give a more warrior like quality.

View Profile of PalmCityTiki Send a personal message to PalmCityTiki  Email PalmCityTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-16 6:01 pm   Permalink

AA, it looks amazing . I have started carvings that had worse cracking. I also like the cracks it gives a little extra character in my opinion.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-16 6:14 pm   Permalink

Aaron-
That guy looks awesome!!! I really like the cracks it totally gives him a old feel. I really like the details that you gave him as well. The braids in the back look killer!!! I can't wait to see him all stained up!!
Rock On,
Spermy

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-16 6:18 pm   Permalink

WOW! Jeeez, Aaron, you've only been carving for a short time but you are at the top of your game.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-16 6:27 pm   Permalink

AA,

Your neighbor is missing out on an awesome piece. Too bad she passed. Wood cracks, period, especially large pieces. To slow the cracking I've tried wetting it, as mentioned above, bagging it to keep some more moisture in (watch out for mold), and covering it with a heavy blanket (as suggested by Benz when I asked him about cracking). I agree with everyone else - the carving is perfect in every way with or without cracks. Most of us will never own a carving near as beautiful as your lono. It is what it is! Keep it for yourself and be proud

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-16 8:01 pm   Permalink

Aaron, Your Lono is superb! No, it's better than that.
When it is completely finished you can count on this thread filling up with a ton of OMG'S!!!!! You've earned that trip and I know you will seek out and photo many Tikis in Hawaii. Have a great time and bring back some inspiration for us. Hope to meet you next Spring in TN at Camp carve-a-lot! 8FT

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation