FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Creating Tiki Ľ Ľ Tiki Carving Ľ Ľ A-AÖ Some Stuff I'm Working On
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
A-AÖ Some Stuff I'm Working On
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-05 2:42 pm   Permalink

Yes, I can tell that this one will be another gem. Nice going AA. I'll keep my eye on this thread....

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-05 3:11 pm   Permalink

Aaron I am loving it already!!! Cant wait to see more!!! What a great way to start off the New Year with another great challenge!!! Thanks for the pic's.
Later,
Spermy

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-05 3:31 pm   Permalink

You're off to an excellent start on that guy for sure. Your attention to detail is a guarantee that we are gonna see another incredible tiki emerge from the log. Keep feedin' us the pics!!!!

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-05 5:24 pm   Permalink

Crazy design! That looks like a lotta work, perfect for you..heh heh. I like seeing yours unfold the best AA.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-05 5:25 pm   Permalink

"Now me and the tiki scientist are going to have to carve into the heart of him".

I like him already. Not only are you different from all of the other carvers but you are different from yourself. I don't think that anyone can hold a candle to that. I think you, like myself, like to try different things all the time. People getting paid from their work usually have to keep a style. Its good to challenge yourself. Its all the fun and reward.

-teaKEY

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kaha ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 10:24 am   Permalink

Aloha bruddah!
Looking good brah! Keep the pictures coming! I look forward to seeing da kine finished carving!

Keep up the good work brah!

Malama Pono!

Hey so, is your bruddah Tevita one of the "Tangotailoa" family of carvers on Maui? Does he stay west side? Just curious brah!

View Profile of kaha ki'i Send a personal message to kaha ki'i  Email kaha ki'i Goto the website of kaha ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 2:48 pm   Permalink

Your props are doing wonders for my carving mana! Maybe itís because Iíve not been doing this so long, but Iím always a bit skeptical when I first start out with a newly sketched up log. Itís only after the details start to emerge that I get really excited. But Iíve gotten a bit more done since those last pics and itís starting to feel good.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Loki, I agree. I am totally looking forward to this Sunday carving with Dave. The best thing about tiki carving is that you meet people from all different professions and walks of life. And yet we all have this common interest in tiki carving. I am really hoping to meet a lot of you East Coasters at the Carving Seminar. This will be a once in a lifetime deal, Iím sure. Hope you can make it.

Tiki5-0, Mahalo my friend! Iíll keep you updated for sure!

Gman, try as I might, I canít shake this mentality of preplanning every detail. It must be a byproduct of 15 years or so doing CAD design. I really would like to become more spontaneous in my design approach, though. My wife bought me a complete painting/easel set for Xmas, so I am planning on taking some drawing and painting classes at the local Community College. I think that will help loosen up my design a bit. But hey, whatever works! I agree, all of the different approaches keep things interesting around here!

Ben, I canít agree more. When I donít have a piece in progress, Iím usually trying to come up with a plan for the next one. Iíll try to do you proud and post lots of pix!

Sam, Mahalo for the comps! Stay posted!

Spermy, Iím looking forward to doing some carving with you this year. Weíve just got to plan it and do it.

8FT and Surfintiki, Thanks Ė you guys are inspiring me with every new post.

teaKEY, I agree with you, itís more fun to try new stuff all of the time. If itís just carving for pleasure you donít have to worry too much about deadlines or profits.

kaha ki'i, thanks Ė Iíve really enjoyed your step-by-steps. Stick around, we need you in the TC carving ohana.

I really donít know if Tevita is one of the "Tangotailoa" family of carvers. Probably, though. He said the carvers who sell over by the Banyan Tree are his cousins. He also said he was related to another guy named Maíake who I met at the Crafts Fair in Napili. It sounds like they are all part of the same Clan.

Tevitaís shop address is on Maui West side, and he sells his wares at the Cannery Mall in Lahaina. Look him up some time Ė Iím sure heíd dig that. Hereís his info:

Tevita
Sivaís Woodcarving
1221 Honoapiilani Highway
Lahaina, HI 96761
Ph (808) 667-0535

He wanted me to post his address & info here on TC, but I was waiting on some photos he was going to send me. With ďisland timeĒ, who knows when that will be though!. In the mean time, there it is. If anyone from this board is planning on a trip to Maui, look him up for sure. He also does custom orders if you want to call him ahead of time.

I was thinking of having Tevita do an authentic Tongan style carving for me, but I looked up some Tongan tikis the other day in ďOceanic ArtsĒ. Tevita had told me that Hawaiian Style carving is way better than Tongan, and now I have to agree. The Tongan tikis Iíve seen are pretty simple figures, without much decoration. These Tongan guys have created their own style in Hawaii, blending the Hawaiian and Tongan styles into something new. They put lots of etching and ornamentation on the Hawaiian forms and it looks pretty cool. I donít know where all the ornamentation style comes from, but assume it must be from Tongan weapons, since the Tongan tikis seem so plain.

Thanks for all of your comments.

Mahalo,

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

[ This Message was edited by: Aaron's Akua 2006-01-06 15:12 ]

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 4:07 pm   Permalink

There must be some sort of engineer in your background. That is so planned out. It looks really crisp for just removing the sapwood and having so much more to go. You do spend a lot of time on the details upfront.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alldo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-06 5:23 pm   Permalink

I just wanted to say nice job on all your work. You take a lot of time and plan out each tiki before the carving even begins. I've been looking at TC for some time and just started posting today. I'm always excited when I see that you have a new project with progress pictures. I live in South Orange County and I notice that you live in Rancho. Maybe we'll run into each other down the road someday.

View Profile of Alldo Send a personal message to Alldo  Email Alldo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 9:34 pm   Permalink

JohnnyP, thanks so much. I work for a Consulting Engineering firm and do plumbing systems design for a living. I mostly sit in from of a computer all day, so carving tiki on my breaks makes for a welcome and refreshing brain colonic. I'm really glad you decided to jump into the TC "Creating" fray! Your work really compliments everyone's efforts here. I've got a question for you, but I think I will post it on your thread instead...

Alldo, welcome to the Board! Nice to see another local OC carver at TC. We will run into each other - I guarantee it. I'll shoot you a PM. Look for the flashing envelope when you login - just in case you haven't experienced that yet.

Cheers!

A-A

-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-13 08:01 am   Permalink

another precision-crafted work of art in progress.... keep the pics coming!

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-14 1:28 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Palama! I will post some new pix in a few days, I think - looks like rain today, so no carving . Ku has that "tin soldier" look right now - lots left to do, not so exciting to look at just yet.

Aaron

-Pablo Picasso

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-30 12:56 pm   Permalink

Here's an interim update.

Ku is coming along slowly, still in the "tin soldier" stage at the moment. If Rodeo is, as he says, "the slowest carver on TC", I'm a very close second. And I have to totally agree with what Mr. Dale recently said on Rodeo's post about keeping a balance with carving, family, business, etc. Maybe that's why tiki is so appealing as an escape. We can only dream of living on the beach, carving all day, no job responsibilities. Unless I win the Lotto of course! Till then it's all daydreaming...

I got a little carried away with the chainsaw in the beginning. After I get his feet carved, I will bolt on a pedestal base to give it some stability and balance between the top and bottom.

Some new cracks made me decide to give him a good soaking once a week whether he needs it or not. Not very dignified for the Mighty Warrior God Ku, but I'm sure he'll thank me later...

Cheers!

A-A

-Pablo Picasso

SCTikiShack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-30 1:40 pm   Permalink

A.A.,

I'm glad you are putting all those redwood logs to good use. It is amazing how the wood will swell back up like a sponge. All you work is top notch, I'm loving the Hypnotiki. You mentioned that it is difficult working with the two toned characteristics of the wood, but it seems like you are working with it with no problem. Come up and visit again sometime.

Will

View Profile of SCTikiShack Send a personal message to SCTikiShack  Email SCTikiShack Goto the website of SCTikiShack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-30 2:33 pm   Permalink

AA, he looks awesome. Those lunch time sessions at the park are working well. Glad to see you finding the time to escape.

P.s. if you win the lottery take me with you ....

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation