FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving A-A Some Stuff I'm Working On
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
A-A Some Stuff I'm Working On
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-23 11:41 pm   Permalink

How'd you cut your finger marking out the design?? I'm loving the use of laser technology too!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-24 04:40 am   Permalink

Oh c'mon Aaron, the least you could have done is run your hand through a circular saw, maybe cut into your thigh with a chainsaw (ouch, seen that done), or smashed your thumb with a two-ton sledge!!

All kidding aside, I'm sorry to see you got bit. How did you get it? It looks like a knife cut, but it doesn't look like you were at the knife stage yet? Possibly a large chisel? At least your tools are sharp!

Either/anyway, I hope you heal up quick. Finger cuts suck; as we all use our hands so much. I was lucky, my cut was on my head and I rarely ever use it

Give it a few days to start knitting and then wear a big 'ol honkin' glove, baby it, and get back to showing us what you were gonna show us. I've really been missing the AA posts.

Take care and heal up,

Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-24 10:19 am   Permalink

Yeoouch!

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-24 1:12 pm   Permalink

OOHHH NO, Was it the Band Saw?

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-24 5:24 pm   Permalink

Great to see you back into it man, missed your stuff.

Not so great to see you choppin up ya fingers...

See - you need to carve more regularly! Wrap that finger up and keep carvin man!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-24 6:42 pm   Permalink

Awwwwww, It's just a finger--you've got 9 more! Jabbed my palm w/ a chisel a few months ago-called wife at the hospital where she works and the thoracic surgeon she works for hooked us up with a suture kit and some 'dermabond'--I opted for the dermabond. It's like superglue for cuts... get some if you can, it's a handy thing to have in the toolbox. Lots less cumbersome than stitches--almost like being instantly healed.

That Hau is looking good, I can see more grain and figuration now--I'm excited to see your progress.

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-24 8:25 pm   Permalink

Ah well, it's just a flesh wound.

Quote:

On 2006-07-24 13:12, tikimecula wrote:
OOHHH NO, Was it the Band Saw?

(A little background) Andy sold me a bandsaw a while back. Coincidentally, I just called him on Saturday to figure out some blade adjustments. Well, turns out a couple of blade guides were broken, so I had to switch over to the pull saw and do it the old fashioned way. I had the piece in the bench vise... and...

Okay, dammit! I'll admit I gashed my finger with a lousy hand saw! Those japanese saws do have serrated edges on both sides, though... ya know.

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-26 05:58 am   Permalink

Aaron, you are supposed to be carving the Wood, Not the Finger!. Thanks for the pix of the fair stuff. There was Really some Nice stuff there. I think the judges were paid off though, because your stuff should have gotten first Over ALl the other junk, as good as it was.
Wrap up the finger and get to work now!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-26 3:50 pm   Permalink

He slices he dices he makes julienne fingers! Hey I'm sorry for the cut. Just healed from one myself. Although much smaller, it was from a v in my hook knife set and so I have a very cute scar. After helping me get bandaged up good Mrs. 8FT immediately ordered me a carving glove. You know we love the Marqs so Keep the pictures coming!

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-20 09:41 am   Permalink

Bump,
I'm sure the finger has healed by now. Where's the carvings?

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-21 12:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-20 09:41, JohnnyP wrote:
Bump,
I'm sure the finger has healed by now. Where's the carvings?

JP

ditto was just thinking the other night I miss ya stuff

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-21 06:43 am   Permalink

Me too!

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-21 9:56 pm   Permalink

Hey, guys - thanks for the bump! The long and short of it is no, not much carving here in the last while. I try not to post trivial progress shots, but to appease my pals, this slightly advanced rough-out is ALL I've got for now.

Sad, but true!

Nina & I have been working to make a big life-changing move, and that has been taking up most of our spare time lately. Quite a few TC members have helped us out on the research end (much appreciated!), including several here on the Creating Forum. I'll try to share the whole story with everyone once the wheels actually start turning. It's just that there are lots of details to be worked out and I don't want to jinx it!

Suffice it to say that I hope to have a nice big basement workshop and lots more time for carving in the not-too-distant future. I'll definitely stay active here on TC, but don't expect to see much tiki output from me in the next few months.

Cheers,

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-22 04:54 am   Permalink

Good luck with it all mate

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-26 3:04 pm   Permalink

Hi Aaron,

Just sitting here on vacation in Colorado digesting your thread...real impressive!

I truly dig your drawing techniques, and your attention to detail. I also really admire that you did most of this work in the park...that shows much love for the craft. Good luck on the new studio space.

I've learned a great deal from you...Thanks.

On to Benzart's work now...

Babalu

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation