FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki on TV....
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Tiki on TV....
heavensinsideyou
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-04-23 9:51 pm   Permalink

Hey everyone...I was looking through the forums here when I heard tiki type music on my tv..I turned to look and there was a commercial for secret body spray on...the commercial had 3 colorful retro type tiki's on it...its not a real big deal but I was happy to see some tiki style commercials on tv these days...

View Profile of heavensinsideyou Send a personal message to heavensinsideyou      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-24 8:06 pm   Permalink

Last week I saw some Tikis on Sesame Street accompanied by some exotica-esque (more in the way of Afro-Cuban) music. Featured were an authentic looking Marquesan or Tahitian Tiki and a more pop-cultural looking Moai. I wouldn't be surprised if the artist who created the Moai was one of our own... ahem,... please come forth!

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-25 08:12 am   Permalink

Having 4 kids means I get to watch a lot of kids TV. Right now I'm watching the new episode of Backyardigans and it's all about surfing and tiki! The main charecter, Pablo, is driving around in his dune buggy trying to find Tiki Beach so he can ride the perfect wave. But nobody will tell him where it is because he doesn't have enough "rad" moves. Pablo is also wearing a very cool Moi pendant around his neck. Other charecters sport aloha shirts and surfboards.

I'll post again when the episode is over!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-25 08:30 am   Permalink

Ok, it ended with Pablo and friends finding Tiki Beach. Tiki Beach is a surfers paradise complete with a giant 40 foot moi statue facing the water. Then they all went surfing and completed several rad moves including The Run Around, The Funkadilly, The Triple Jump and The Tiki Wacky.

Here's the "Surf's Up" episode page.
http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-28687/epid-400176/

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfgoof
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-04-25 3:48 pm   Permalink

lol, everyone here should seriously watch Spongebob Squarepants, there's plenty of tiki style in that show

View Profile of surfgoof Send a personal message to surfgoof      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-22 7:35 pm   Permalink

Okay. This is weird. I just saw tikis in an MTV commercial from 1990. I was watching my old copy of Crowded House Unplugged. It included a commercial for Martha Quinn's return to MTV, and there was a shot of some moais in the background for one brief moment.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-22 8:02 pm   Permalink

Last week's episode of Two and a Half Men featured a scene inside a bar that had big tikis and a nautical theme.

View Profile of Tiki Joe Send a personal message to Tiki Joe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-23 09:51 am   Permalink

I too saw the Tiki Beach episode of the Backyardigans. My sister-in-law gave us a call Saturday morning and I switched it on. Liberal use of the word "Tiki" throughout. I especially liked how the show is instilling the old 1960s music standards like "Guantanamera" into pre-schoolers' heads by changing the lyrics into simple songs they can sing along to.

My little nieces are now asking me to get them tiki pendants. The fact that preschoolers are just now getting into tiki, and that stores like Big Lots and Kohls are introducing larger lines of tiki merchandise each year, leads me to believe that this current wave of tiki resurgence (good or bad) is nowhere near over yet.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-24 10:17 am   Permalink

Just watched a old episode of Landscapers challenge. It was a tiki themed back yard and showed the homeowner and designer shopping at Oceanic arts.
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_design_other/article/0,1785,HGTV_3566_1878502,00.html

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 8:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-24 10:17, rodeotiki wrote:
Just watched a old episode of Landscapers challenge. It was a tiki themed back yard and showed the homeowner and designer shopping at Oceanic arts.

I saw the same episode - extremely cool to see the world becoming a more tiki place, one well designed backyard at a time.

I actually have seen tiki a couple of times on various HGTV shows.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chacha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-05 5:07 pm   Permalink

I found myself watching a rerun of "The Nanny" and saw some tikis. In the episode, Brian Setzer shoots a video in the house and the set is decorated with giant tikis.

View Profile of Chacha Send a personal message to Chacha      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-07 11:44 am   Permalink

It's finally going to air!!
"Action Figures" the Interview Show that focuses on S.Cal Sports-Music-Art
http://www.actionfigurestv.com/
We shot the pilot show in Aug 03 at the HB pier.....
It airs this Friday June 10 at 6PM on LA station KVMD
I carved a tiki for the show!! and it will finally be up for a charity auction!!
C"AL Tiki#59 signed by me and the guests on the show......

more info on auction to follow

BambooBen, Wes of House o'Tiki, and I helped create the set....
We also did the new programs shot last month.
One of these shows features the "Smoke'n Menihunies!!"
(posted some where by BambooBen)

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chacha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-06 2:45 pm   Permalink

I just saw a "Gilmore Girls" rerun with a fabulous home tiki bar in it. Actually, I think the whole interior of the house was tiki. Blue walls, mugs, aquarium...the owner of the house called it the "Oasis." It was a beautiful and unexpected sight.

The house also had enough board games to rival those of Ikitnrev.

View Profile of Chacha Send a personal message to Chacha      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-06 5:04 pm   Permalink

chacha, is that the episode of GG where Lorelai is looking after her neighbor's house? I seem to remember that the neighbor was going to be away for some time and yet he left all the lighting on in the bar (I know, it's TV -- there's no end of things that don't make sense).

I noticed in a previous season that Lorelai had a pair of moai salt & pepper shakers in the kitchen. When I saw them, it became a scene about maoi salt & pepper shakers -- I saw nothing else. Haven't seen them lately though.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chacha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-06 5:35 pm   Permalink

Sweet Daddy Tiki- yes, that is the episode I was talking about. I hadn't even thought about it but the moai string lights were blazing. There were lots of carvings in there, too. I'm a big GG fan so thanks for the heads up about the S&P shakers.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation