FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki on TV....
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Tiki on TV....
Pomaika i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-09 12:41 pm   Permalink

Hey, I just saw that episode of Gilmore Girls and you can see the "Mai Tiki" letters on the bottom of one of the statues by the doorway. The whole "Oasis" house was pretty cool.

You can only see a little of the house from this pic:
http://www.gilmoregirls.org/screencaps/episode305/57.jpg

If anyone is ambitious enough to go rent the dvd, the episode is on Season 3, Disc 2 and the title is "Eight O'Clock at the Oasis."

View Profile of Pomaika i Send a personal message to Pomaika i      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-31 12:00 pm   Permalink

This morning I saw an animated ad for Vanilla Frosted Mini Wheats set in Hawaii. At the end of the commercial a huge Moai identical to the Kahiki fireplace sings on the beach, with a tiki masked guy banging away on drums in the background as kanes & wahines continue their hula.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-31 11:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-31 12:00, Tikiwahine wrote:
This morning I saw an animated ad for Vanilla Frosted Mini Wheats set in Hawaii. At the end of the commercial a huge Moai identical to the Kahiki fireplace sings on the beach, with a tiki masked guy banging away on drums in the background as kanes & wahines continue their hula.

Thanks. I'll have to keep my eye out for that one.

Reminds me of one of my favorite commercials (and the cereal wasn't half bad either) from way back in the late 60's...Kellogg's "Puffa Puffa Rice"...which had a Hawaiian marketing angle to it.

Here's a very, very poor clip of one of the commercials:

http://webserve.govst.edu/users/gaskrau/puffa56.ram

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bobby Peru
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-01 01:56 am   Permalink

keep an eye out for the new Fanta "Bamboocha" add campaign, it has most of my tiki collection hiding somewhere in it as well as about half a dozen of my paintings

cheers
Bob

View Profile of Bobby Peru Send a personal message to Bobby Peru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
panic8
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-01 09:08 am   Permalink

Who needs TV if there's Podcast?
http://www.tikibartv.com

View Profile of panic8 Send a personal message to panic8  Email panic8     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-01 09:34 am   Permalink

we already have a tiki bar tv thread going, here:Tiki Bar TV - latest episode

Try using our handy-dandy Search feature for all of your Tiki Central previous thread needs.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
panic8
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-01 1:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-01 09:34, Tikiwahine wrote:
Try using our handy-dandy Search feature for all of your Tiki Central previous thread needs.

Strange, I've didn't found it. Maybe I've typed it wrong (me stupid Kraut).... anyway, now there's a Link from here to it.

View Profile of panic8 Send a personal message to panic8  Email panic8     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-06 7:17 pm   Permalink

Poor quality version here

Quote:

On 2006-08-31 12:00, Tikiwahine wrote:

Kane Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-07 7:04 pm   Permalink

I saw a station promo for the 10 Network here in Oz and my eyes nearly popped out when I saw some of the network "personalities" hanging out at a very authentic Tiki Bar. Really wierd to see this sort of this on Australian TV!

View Profile of Kane Tiki Send a personal message to Kane Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-07 9:46 pm   Permalink

One of the great things about Tiki is how it speaks to people in the creative field, who pick up on it and re-introduce it into pop culture with their own work. There is a very popular TV daily soap here in Germany called "Verliebt in Berlin" (In Love in/with Berlin) that has a Tiki Bar set in it. Not many scenes are written for it, but I know from a colleague of his that the production designer was inspired by the BOT and decided that if a bar, it would be a Tiki bar.

Probably no one in the production company, and 98% of the viewers know what that is, but they have registered it unconsciously. I assume the same is the case with your Australian show. And to those in the know, its like a secret language, saying hey, there is a designer who is part of the cult.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-17 9:30 pm   Permalink

Not exactly Tiki on TV...but I saw the San Diego Bali Hai's owner(?) Sam Choy on the Iron Chef America tonight. The secret ingredient was clams.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-25 12:23 pm   Permalink

I was watching the latest episode of The Venture Bros last night (Season 3 - "Home is Where The Hate Is") and my wife and I thought we spied a tiki tattoo on the arm of Sgt. Hatred -

In a later scene we got a better look. Turns out the tattoo is an angry "tiki-esque" face made of flipped and distorted Sargent stripes. Genius!

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ravenne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-25 12:25 pm   Permalink

Get out!

I seriously thought the same thing!

Rad that there are people out there that love VB!

Go Team Venture!

View Profile of ravenne Send a personal message to ravenne      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-25 3:20 pm   Permalink

Hey! I'm gonna do a ME TOO!!!

"I was watching the latest episode of The Venture Bros last night (Season 3 - "Home is Where The Hate Is") and my wife and I thought we spied a tiki tattoo on the arm of Sgt. Hatred -In a later scene we got a better look. Turns out the tattoo is an angry "tiki-esque" face made of flipped and distorted Sargent stripes. Genius!" -VanTiki-

"I seriously thought the same thing! Rad that there are people out there that love VB! Go Team Venture!" -ravenne-

Ok here it is...

ME TOO!!!

I thought about postin' it what with all the interest in tattoos and there are a few people around here interested in Tiki stuff, but I got lazy figgerin' out how to explain it. (Go VanTiki!)

And now since I did a classic ME TOO!!! let's veer it a lil bit off topic as well:

GO TEAM VENTURE!

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-25 4:07 pm   Permalink

The Mini-Wheats commercials have tiki/retro themes!
they also got a new strawberry miniwheat....

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation